Xonotic Forums
My crazy ideas, and also useless, of a xonotic porting - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: My crazy ideas, and also useless, of a xonotic porting (/showthread.php?tid=8529)

My crazy ideas, and also useless, of a xonotic porting - derrant - 03-22-2021

Today i will show you a very impossible porting of xonotic: a concept art about xonotic + godot engine, something like this for the main menu.

Until now that i a noob in cs, it's a my unreal dream. Maybe one time in the future can be a real stuff, but for now that i'm still learning...only concept arts. Sorry but i hate quake-c, and i'll want a very new and free of past stuff, game, easy to update, manage and mod in 2021... but cause i'm just a noob in coding and this will be a great and heavy work, I don't complain the efforts of current xonotic team. It's just a dream, ok? Smile

RE: My crazy ideas, and also useless, of a xonotic porting - _para - 03-22-2021

Remaking xon in godot is a pretty neat idea actually. Only downside is that the maps will be incompatible unless you also implement some code that can load .bsp files in godot engine.

RE: My crazy ideas, and also useless, of a xonotic porting - derrant - 03-22-2021

(03-22-2021, 12:09 PM)_para Wrote: Remaking xon in godot is a pretty neat idea actually. Only downside is that the maps will be incompatible unless you also implement some code that can load .bsp files in godot engine.

So Maybe it can be real....uhm, so I should  study much more to make it true ! A good motivation to study cs, thanks! I'll try it

RE: My crazy ideas, and also useless, of a xonotic porting - LegendGuard - 04-21-2021

Interesting, I would cheer up you to continue the project as if it were an alternative for Xonotic, I see the concept art is a bit unattractive and should be fit with the current art even a bit more modernized.  The artistic details could be discussed later. 
The main thing would be that it works the same but with Godot's physics and see if we can succeed that the game has physics and components from the Godot engine so that we can all develop things in it.
A new repository for this would be nice to be added in Xonotic Gitlab.

Go for it!  Smile

RE: My crazy ideas, and also useless, of a xonotic porting - _para - 04-22-2021

Bringing this project to fruition would take years I think. So I wouldn't get involved in a project I would abandon after a few months as I see the amount of work ahead. But if you make it I'd gladly accept you as god-emperor of xonotic and would be willing to sacrifice some time into helping you. But just thinking about converting bsp to the godot engine and vice versa gives me shivers. Positive as maybe having godot engine to make maps compatible with old xon as well as having hundreds of maps that would work in godot and negative when seeing the laborious work ahead.

But the maps we're used to would be manatory as well as the gameplay mechanics and feel for me to switch.

RE: My crazy ideas, and also useless, of a xonotic porting - Antibody - 04-22-2021

I don't want to be unduly dismissive here, but let me be frank: this represents such a massive engineering effort that it is not a feasible path forward for this game. For this game, your time would be better spent working to bridge the feature gap on an engine that is already much more feature-compatible: daemon.

RE: My crazy ideas, and also useless, of a xonotic porting - LegendGuard - 04-23-2021

These discussions have been taken in these threads:

RE: My crazy ideas, and also useless, of a xonotic porting - Ray1992xD - 06-25-2021

Hey, I came across this: GitHub - Shfty/qodot-plugin: Quake .map support for Godot.

Since Xon uses Quake engine and most maps are Quake maps, I figured it would work.

RE: My crazy ideas, and also useless, of a xonotic porting - LegendGuard - 06-25-2021

Thanks for giving some news, but what happens is that they want to transfer the resources into another engine. The problem is that the maps they already have are in .bsp format as SirRanjid said here. They will even want to pass the code they use as well.
I don't know if they want to do this, but it might be awkward having to do it all over again...

RE: My crazy ideas, and also useless, of a xonotic porting - MusicGoat - 06-28-2021

having just a gui overhaul itself would be awesome

RE: My crazy ideas, and also useless, of a xonotic porting - _para - 06-28-2021

(06-25-2021, 09:34 AM)Ray1992xD Wrote: Hey, I came across this: GitHub - Shfty/qodot-plugin: Quake .map support for Godot.

Since Xon uses Quake engine and most maps are Quake maps, I figured it would work.

DAMN this is so cool. I mean you can convert .bsp back to .map. Items and stuff could be broken tho. I think skipping the fteqw etc. and going to godot would be waay better and way more future proof.

Just let that sink in:
[Image: in-editor.gif]