Xonotic Forums
[SUGGESTION] The more you kill, the brighter you get - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Suggestion Box (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: [SUGGESTION] The more you kill, the brighter you get (/showthread.php?tid=902)

The more you kill, the brighter you get - Dokujisan - 08-31-2010

This was an idea brought up by Edong23, a regular on the HOCTF server. I thought it was a good idea worth submitting here.

Basically, a player in a CTF or DM match that has a lot of consecutive kills in a row would start to glow brighter than those around him. So that would attract more attention to that player, making them a more obvious target.

This would help players know which enemy player is the dominant one. It would be similar to someone getting the Quad/Strength powerup, where everyone starts to aim at that person. It would also bring more attention to campers that are racking up kills.

Not sure exactly how this would work with the Xonotic player models, or with brightskins. If the skin colored area (red or blue) is already bright, then it seems like there would need to be some other feature on the player model that would need to glow.

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - Antibody - 08-31-2010

I like this as an anti-camping mutator. The player would grow bright if s/he has many kills within a particular zone in the map. I don't like it for "regular" killstreaks (those attained while moving throughout various zones on the map) - it seems like it serves to punish those who are legitimately doing well if that were the case.

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - clanclanclan - 08-31-2010

I agree with Antibody, this would be awesome as an anti-camping thing. Especially if they flashed everytime they made a xon shot Smile

As an option, killstreak glow might be a good idea for servers with newer players, but on servers with more experienced ones it could get annoying.

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - divVerent - 08-31-2010

Not sure if brightness for this is a good idea. In Unreal Tournament, fatness was used for this Tongue

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - Cuinnton - 08-31-2010

good idea, although maybe not a glow. what about a skull appearing over the players head at 3 kills, skull and bones at 5, skull and bones and blood at 10 kills ect. or maybe even rank symbols like private, corporal ect. Either way, is a good feature Smile

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - edong23 - 08-31-2010

im not going to defend or argue the usefulness. but take the machinegun for example. when you get a facial with the machinegun, its hard to see. this is no different, except the opposite. so, i guess it is different, only it effects you in a different way. instead of having a hard time seeing when getting shot, you are SLIGHTLY easier to see when you are pwning. also, this is definately no different than when you have "quad" or strength. you glow as warning. thus the other team knows to kill you. and in dm this works as well, but it would only be after several kills, if you are pwning that much, without camping, then a bit of light shouldnt be a problem.
another example of how this is slightly done already, is the new "nex" weapon. this might be accidental, but it is a bright color. highly contrasted, and noticable. is this because it is a dangerous weapon? i dont know. rocket launcher is a dangerous weapon, it is also big and colorful. I'M JUST SAYIN!

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - poVoq - 08-31-2010

Hmm, me likes Wink In fact it would also serve maybe as a way to help the n00bs a bit, e.g. they can see who to avoid, and others can see (by not glowing) who to give some slack. Malicious players might use it also to specifically target the n00bs though Sad I doubt the latter will be really a problem however.

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - Hypnosekröte - 08-31-2010

only if you take the flag in CTF mode, that you lose your brightness! ... And if you hold the flag their shouldnt be any brightness increasion. This is effective way against campers for minstagib. Btw why the xonotic community want to have all n00bfriendly .. i mean "for example" (only for it's me) highlighted crosshairs suxx in my opinion .. If you activated it than you do not need any train to have basic aim skills. And for minsta you dont learn it the right way because you never have to think about aiming :p

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - It'sMe - 08-31-2010

(08-31-2010, 03:45 AM)Hypnosekröte Wrote: [...]
i mean "for example" (only for it's me) highlighted crosshairs suxx in my opinion .. [..]

thanks for your explanation Hypno ...
This "more brightness" stuff is a better idea than symbols above your head... i guess.
If u are far away of the other player you cannot see the symbols or the symbols are bigger than the player Tongue.
And i think this should be an option and not a must at servers.

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - Lee_Stricklin - 08-31-2010

I think it would work as a mutator, but don't we already have glow and weapon flashes to give away a player? I don't think this would be a good idea for default gameplay outside of a few maps in the singleplayer mode.

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - rainerzufalldererste - 08-31-2010

Like the idea!
@Lee_Stricklin: But the mutator should be turned on by default!

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - Space Ace - 08-31-2010

I notice that people who run around killing a lot collect more points and their shots on others become more powerful (they can kill with less shots, takes more hits to hill them), and that is their reward for the killing that they do. That makes perfect sense in the DM games, but not as much in the CTF game.

One thing I'd like to note is that there are more ways to get points than just killing in a CTF game.
Sometimes I make it my goal to only capture flags, other times to defend the base, other times to kill kill kill.... it depends on my mood. It's supposed to be a Team and every team player has different roles. "Campers" and snipers are playing a role on the team. I laugh when people complain about people "camping" because it's called "defending" and doing their job; it's a basic strategy. Running around killing as many people as possible is a strategy too, but won't necessarily win you the game if that is the focus of the whole team.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be visually identified as having the most kills -- it'll just make me an obvious target for others. The good players outshine everyone else anyway, you can easily see them jumping around, killing, and blasting away at others.

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - rainerzufalldererste - 08-31-2010

in some games camping is defending (css)
but in Xonotic it's sometimes real bad!

rainerzufalldererste a few months ago Wrote:what's worse than a camper?
a) two campers
b) nothing is worse than a camper
c) An invisible Camper
d) two invisible campers

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - The mysterious Mr. 4m - 08-31-2010

(08-31-2010, 01:42 AM)divVerent Wrote: Not sure if brightness for this is a good idea. In Unreal Tournament, fatness was used for this Tongue

i vote for female models to get bigger boobs. Male models.... should just explode. Heart

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - Roanoke - 08-31-2010

This really doesn't make much sense. Personally, I set models to use fullbright skins from the client side (and there is nothing stopping me from making a box model and using it as the default playermodel either).

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - paperclips - 09-01-2010

Well, I don't know about 'brighter', but ones ehm... glow (the anti-grey thing) could start to pulsate a bit. That would be a nice cosmetic enhancement, it would not affect gameplay that much(?).

But then again, it would (also) be nice to have the option to contact the serveradmin and ask for a:
"oh, you know me, how 1337 I am, and other players should stand a chance, please make me brighter when I do a fragrun"-option.

Then players would know straight away, that, now that player got some balls.

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - slac.in.the.box - 09-01-2010

I think it could be a feature that can be vcalled one way or the other according to player preferences...

sort of like the hook: there are those who love it, and those who hate it; similarly there could be servers with killglow and servers without killglow, and servers with vcall option to enable or disable...

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - MANERS - 09-02-2010

Play an indie game called Plain Sight ($10 on Steam). It employs a similar mechanism, but makes it the basis of the game. It's quite well done. Maybe the glowing can be a game type, or (at the very least) an option for servers. At the same time, maybe reword players for killing the players with the brightest glow. Of course, that would mean there maybe should be a cap on how bright you can get to limit the bonus... just me thinking out loud.

You can read up on how it's implemented in Plain Sight at:

http://www.plainsightgame.com/
http://beatnikgames.co.uk/index.php/wiki//

Hope I contributed ^-^

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - Contrarian - 09-05-2010

As a general rule, punishing players for doing well is bad game design. This would create situations where it is advantageous to die/lose your kill streak, or make fewer kills so as to be less visible. Visually identifying player performance would only be good if done in a way which doesn't cause disadvantage by making them stand out more from the background or from other players. Obviously that would make the whole thing pointless as nobody would notice it then. Bad idea. Don't do it.

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - PinkRobot - 09-05-2010

On the other hand, some very smart and fabulous deathmatch players like Waldi (there are some more but i forgot their nicks) use the largest playermodel with a fullbright red/green/yellow skin on purpose already. Because they know it will lead everyone to them and they become better because of it. For them it's a training method Big Grin

RE: The more you kill, the brighter you get - MintOX - 09-05-2010

Love this idea.