Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Mine Layer weapon

I think it could work for some CTF maps too, but sure. The mapper has to take this decision based on the gameplay of that map, as with all weapons. I can put a note on the weapon entity saying this gun is designed only for X types of maps, once the rest is ready.

You could probably make a timed explosive secondary too and make the mines sticky so that I can get my damn bouncy nades back. lol
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Hey! I like the idea of mines, always loved those types of stuff.

I agree though that mappers should decide if this gun is going to suit their map's gameplay. Small maps might be annoying when you die everytime you walk to a mined corridor.

I've got also a little bit different idea for secondary mode for the mine layer:

How about making the secondary mode of the gun flashing a (stoboscopic?) wine red beam of light (not hurting players or entites) that makes the mines to detonate instantly? It's like a remote control. That would be useful to defend yourself from enemy mines. Just flash with that light the way in front of you to make sure no mines are there. That function should also not eat any ammo, like Laser.

If no weapon model is used but a throwing-hand is there instead, the remotely-detonating-beam-o-light could be emitted from something looking a bit like a torch.

I might try to help with sound design and (maybe) modeling for this weapon.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(09-24-2010, 02:47 PM)ThePWTULN Wrote: Cool idea, but you'll have to think of a way to prevent epic mine spamming!

Maybe you should only be able to lay a maximum of three mines on the map at once? Either that or high ammo usage.

Actually, I was thinking about "broken fuse" thing. One mine per map will always blow, but, say, 10 mines will have 20% chances of broken fuse - just like smoke in Worms. I'm thinking about mapping it like this:

if there's more than 1 mine currently on the map, the next one will have 2% chance of broken fuse.
if there's more than 10 mines currently on the map, the next one will have 20% chance of broken fuse.

And so on.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(09-28-2010, 10:59 AM)Minkovsky Wrote: Actually, I was thinking about "broken fuse" thing. One mine per map will always blow, but, say, 10 mines will have 20% chances of broken fuse - just like smoke in Worms. I'm thinking about mapping it like this:

if there's more than 1 mine currently on the map, the next one will have 2% chance of broken fuse.
if there's more than 10 mines currently on the map, the next one will have 20% chance of broken fuse.

And so on.

Haha, Worms brings back loads of memories Big Grin

To be honest I don't really like the idea of using probabilities in FPS games, though. It places value on luck, while the key features of a good player should be skill/strategy/reaction time etc.
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

Yeah, I don't believe that would be a good idea. I will however implement another change soon, which might help with this; A small delay from the time you trigger the mine till it detonates. And no it won't allow everyone to easily escape them Tongue However if you are bunny-hopping very fast, you might be able to get past some of them. Will probably default this delay to 0.25 or 0.5 seconds, depending on how easy it is to escape mines then.

(09-28-2010, 11:46 AM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: Yeah, I don't believe that would be a good idea. I will however implement another change soon, which might help with this; A small delay from the time you trigger the mine till it detonates. (...)

I like the idea of delayed detonation - that would make it possible to escape mine if you have enough reflex.

About sounds:

Will the mine beep on arming (maybe even lit some LED)
Will the mine beep once triggered (then it waits for e.g 0.25 s and explodes).
The trigger sound would let you know you're in danger, would let you easier spot the mine and possibly escape it. Mine sounds should be rather quiet, so in loud environment or battle player might simply not hear the "beep-beep-beeeeeep" thing before the "boom" thing.

When you're walking through a dark corridor and you hear that mine sound and you have 15 HP and you're on 10-frags killing spree - that sound would mean adrenaline!

Explosion sound will be used from what's existing (hagar?)

I might try my skillz to produce some interesting beeps for mines Smile
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(09-29-2010, 11:33 AM)unfa Wrote: I like the idea of delayed detonation - that would make it possible to escape mine if you have enough reflex.

About sounds:

Will the mine beep on arming (maybe even lit some LED)
Will the mine beep once triggered (then it waits for e.g 0.25 s and explodes).
The trigger sound would let you know you're in danger, would let you easier spot the mine and possibly escape it. Mine sounds should be rather quiet, so in loud environment or battle player might simply not hear the "beep-beep-beeeeeep" thing before the "boom" thing.

When you're walking through a dark corridor and you hear that mine sound and you have 15 HP and you're on 10-frags killing spree - that sound would mean adrenaline!

Explosion sound will be used from what's existing (hagar?)

I might try my skillz to produce some interesting beeps for mines Smile

The mine already beeps upon sticking to the wall. Once I'll get to the delayed detonation, it will also beep once triggered, before it explodes.

Here are some beeps:

[AUDIO] High quality MP3 (4.18 mb)

[AUDIO] Low quality Ogg (1.05 mb) - use only if you're short on bandwidth

And here is the LMMS project file you can use to make your own easily:

[SOURCE]

(09-29-2010, 12:41 PM)unfa Wrote: Here are some beeps:

Thank you Smile I'll see if I will use these or another sound I used for the first beep.

(09-29-2010, 03:48 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote:
(09-29-2010, 12:41 PM)unfa Wrote: Here are some beeps:

Thank you Smile I'll see if I will use these or another sound I used for the first beep.

Well. If you decide you want any of those fell free to use the mmpz file with LMMS Smile If you don't want to - I'll send you theese sounds in whatever format you want. wav/flac/ogg 8/16/24/32 bit 22/44.1/48/96/192 kHz...

I realized that those trials are too silent. SOurce files should be normalized. Problem is that if anybody will play them at full loudness - he's head is gonna blow up. So I have a dilemma: should I maximase the volume in files to get better quiality (barely audible or unaudible differences) or set the level properly low so even playing those loudly will result in a pleasant sound instead of one that drills in your brain with ɴıᴎ

I worked again on the code today and fixed all remaining issues (thanks to FruitieX for the mine model facing code). All the TODOs and the bug in the previous post are fixed. Code wise the weapon should be ready Smile It should only need proper balancing and of course specific models and sounds (the mine beeps should be ok as they are). Also added delayed detonation... the mine will beep when triggered and explode a little later.

[Image: minescreenshot.jpg]

Smile
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

(10-07-2010, 09:20 AM)theShadow Wrote: [Image: minescreenshot.jpg]

Smile

Yay Big Grin Looks very nice so far.

Seems the Mine Layer is now in master, so yay Smile It will also be available on my Red Planet map (unless any reasons not to put it there appear). Can be tested on any map by using the 'give all' cheat in console. No models for it yet, but hopefully there will be some soon.

I love the idea of mines.

The issue with over-spamming areas could be solved this way:

Make it so that they hurt anyone going by them, including team-members. This would make people be more cautious about placing them. It would make more sense realistically, and would add a level of strategy to the game without slowing it down.

This would cause the difficulty of possibly blowing yourself up whenever you lay one, though, so I would move that we make it have a delayed arming timer. That way you can't just toss one behind you while you are running from a group of opponents.
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Nicee, theShadow Smile
It looks like one dangerous flower to me Smile

Yeah... and about the CTF : the problem is if the mines are too near to the flag.. Then you can't steal the flag. Sad

Unless you frag the mines before you charge. Then it might even work against the defenders if we make it so that fellow team-members can be hurt by their own mines.
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Well the current Mine Layer has a mine limit already. I think that should make it ok, and I'd leave the self / team protection there. The models are the problem, but last I heard morphed is working on them Smile

I haven't been able to test them out in a ctf scenario yet, but from what I can tell, it should be alright.

Yes, the models need work. Smile

Well, this is what morphed did so far on the models. He posted it on IRC so it should be ok to show here:

[Image: minelayerwip2.jpg]

I love it myself... can't wait for the textured version Big Grin

Keep up the good works. Nice mix of Mortar + RL. Wink

Yup! That is perfect in my opinion. Big Grin

Great model of the gun Big Grin has the feel of being a heavy son of a blast.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weapon Balance Changes [PROPOSE/DISCUSS/REFINE] _para 2 1,807 03-19-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: _para
  [SUGGESTION] XonStats weapon graphs regardless of past games played Antares* 1 2,672 12-21-2016, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon Balance and Presentation 2016 hutty 28 19,657 07-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Last Post: aa
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon model ideas - Post here! Beagle 7 6,069 04-09-2016, 02:11 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Limited weapon slots & customizable spawn weapons MirceaKitsune 38 34,553 09-14-2014, 04:19 AM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] per-weapon/vehicle camera toggling Lee_Stricklin 5 6,153 09-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Last Post: kammy
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon damage Damasco 17 14,398 07-31-2013, 07:20 AM
Last Post: ShuffleShot
  [SUGGESTION] Share your opinions only on weapon balance! rocknroll237 67 52,290 02-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon models and vehicle cockpit FOV independant from game FOV Lee_Stricklin 2 4,835 07-12-2012, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Should switching to the already equipped weapon switch to the previous weapon? Loafers 11 11,566 06-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL