Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are CSQC players?

I keep seeing the phrase "CSQC players" around the forums. I know CSQC stands for Client Side Quake Code (I think), but beyond that I know nothing Sad

Could someone explain to this newbie programmer what it is, and why it's important/useful?
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

A CSQC entity is a game object that is managed on the client's side.

Nexuiz 2.3 made no use of CSQC, and everything was managed by the server and sent to its clients. Later, some entity stuff got moved to CSQC - for instance, projectiles and gibs.

That means for example that when a gib or a rocket is spawned, the server tells the client basic information about it (in the case of a rocket, direction for example) and the client does the rest. It knows how fast the rocket should be going (the server told it) and therefore knows where the rocket will be at any time. When the rocket is remotely guided, the server regularly sends updates to the client which then updates its rocket entity to have it display correctly.

"CSQC players" means that player entities are partially managed by CSQC, which means CSQC code can access data such as the positions of teammates, and use it to display waypoints appropriately.

Thanks for the info Smile

But am I right to think that CSQC players have more applications than to display waypoints? Because that's the impression I got on a couple of threads here.
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

Sure, they could be used to display health info on the HUD, or manipulating any information associated with a player entity in general.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Privacy information for players (ingame) [GDPR] Kaesebrot 11 5,667 11-07-2018, 06:15 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  Prevent respawn of players like in CA Lyberta 1 2,495 03-04-2017, 07:16 AM
Last Post: Mario
  Getting Position of Other Players/Bots Client-Side ehrenbrav 7 8,596 05-10-2015, 12:42 PM
Last Post: ehrenbrav
  [SOLVED] Orienting weapons to bones (CSQC) toneddu2000 3 6,706 03-30-2015, 04:26 PM
Last Post: toneddu2000
  CSQC primer/tutorial (for FTEqw) poVoq 0 3,635 12-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Last Post: poVoq