Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Nexuiz forward compatibility

IIRC this has been discussed to some extend, not really read much on it though.

I would like a last Nexuiz patch to allow, to some extend, forward compatbiility.

If in say half a year someone new installs Nexuiz maybe through their (outdated?) dist repository and comes upon an empty server list, or a few old empty servers, she might just think there's no community playing that and leave it at that. I know I might have.

To give them a 'hint' I would like Nexuiz to possibly poll dpmaster for both Nexuiz and Xonotic Servers and merge them in the Server list.

Currently Nexuiz 'crashes' on executing Xonotic CSQC. I know Engine changes might make this unfeasible but maybe there could be a CSQC switch that detects Nexuiz as Host and activate some fallbacks in that case? I know that would be some bloat at least. Or the Server might do client detection and upload a slightly different CSQC with fallbacks in place to Nexuiz clients?

What's the teams take on this?

So are you saying to include Xonotic servers in the Nexuiz list? If it doesn't take a huge amount of time it would be useful; though I think there will be Nexuiz server for a long time.

The clients won't really be compatible: missing player models, missing maps.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Power-ups like in Quake/Nexuiz Classic DrAndi 2 2,692 02-06-2022, 01:35 AM
Last Post: z411
  [SUGGESTION] Bringing back a few assets from Nexuiz as well as digging through the maps section Lee_Stricklin 1 3,633 12-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Is there a way to configure Xonotic into the same entirety to that of Nexuiz? Smilecythe 29 27,470 11-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Nex gun recoil impact for high jumps like in Nexuiz xeros 3 5,396 10-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Last Post: xeros
  [SUGGESTION] "Xonotic Community Server" ~ Nexuiz Cheshire Cat 8 10,488 04-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Last Post: kuniu the frogg
  [SUGGESTION] All Nexuiz forums should be archived on Xonotic.org Rad Ished 5 7,412 03-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Last Post: Erusavion