Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] The Phoenix Easter Egg [ SPOILERS ]

Star 
SPOILER WARNING

This thread contains information that may spoil you some extra fun from the game. It is meant to be a surprise, so reading further will most likely take it away from you, but you can hep us develop this fun for others. If you don't want to help us in develop this easter egg - don't spoil yourself the fun!

.png   spoilers.png (Size: 6.8 KB / Downloads: 99)

Still reading? It's your choice Wink

One day I got an idea: let's model a phoenix bird, animate it in simple loop (flight), add some fire effects to it and make it randomly appear in the skies on some maps (Stormkeep, Farewell...).

I think this would be something like easter egg, but would appear in the matches not only in holidays - but rarely everyday.

The idea is to make it something that would make players look and think: "o look, a phoenix! lol, I'am playing this game for 3 months and I have never saw it before!"

I'am not expirienced in organic modeling (this doesn't have to be a very detailed model it will be viewed from big distance I think...)

But if someone can draw some phoenix birdie concept - I might try my blending skills Smile

Anyone interested in making this real?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Its a very great idea here, unfa. Im sure a pheonix can be realised.
It depends on what we want. How will he move around, which actions will he do?

Another thing is, how to show him only several times per month? There has to be an algorythm or something like that Wink
His appearance will be shown for all players at the same time? Will he appear for the server several times per month or will he also appear for the player in each of his hosted games/maps?

I like easter eggs in games as long as they don't affect the gameplay.

YAY! Easter Eggs!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(10-11-2010, 01:03 PM)Debugger Wrote: Its a very great idea here, unfa. Im sure a pheonix can be realised.
It depends on what we want. How will he move around, which actions will he do?

I thought that it could for example make some circles around the map, or just flight in a straight line from horizon to horizon, flying above map.

He also could open his beak and mabe use some voice while being above map, so players can not even see him through windows but also hear him Smile

I don't know how it could be done to render him "on another layer" so he can appear/disappear in great distance (so great that he's actually in size of 1 pixel) even though the map boundaries are rather small,

(10-11-2010, 01:03 PM)Debugger Wrote: Another thing is, how to show him only several times per month? There has to be an algorythm or something like that Wink

Yup I think he might be shown in more or less regular intervals (once a week?) but with say 8 hours of random +/- offset so the cycle won't only go through sundays for egz. I think some.

(10-11-2010, 01:03 PM)Debugger Wrote: His appearance will be shown for all players at the same time? Will he appear for the server several times per month or will he also appear for the player in each of his hosted games/maps?

I think all players should see it when the event is triggered on the server so they can chat about it: "hey, you guys see this bird?" - it could disturb the game a bit, bit it would be so rare that I don't think anybody would get angry...

I think this should be not contralable by servers, only by devs Smile So no one will actually know about it until he see it, game would secretly manage this event Smile And yes: it would also appear on player's servers Smile

I think that it should not react to players shooting at him etc, and not collide with the world. Simply gliding outside (above) the map's boudary box, rendered on the skybox background without any interaction to game world.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Like so?

This isn't anymore because community knows it before Xonotic is released.

(10-11-2010, 05:56 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Like so?

A bit blocky, but I don't know what can you make out of it. Keep going Smile
Anybody knows how to sclupt? Smile
(10-12-2010, 12:28 PM)Exitium Wrote: This isn't anymore because community knows it before Xonotic is released.

There are thousands of people who didn't see this thread.

And the spoiler warning should scare people off. (but maybe this thread should only be visible to some)

The phoenix could fly on a certain date, like April Fools', for example. i wouldn't make it a model or sprite, tho, because people who'd browse the pk3's would notice. It should be made of particles (if possible).
4m038105 - Be the change.

(10-13-2010, 04:48 PM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: The phoenix could fly on a certain date, like April Fools', for example. i wouldn't make it a model or sprite, tho, because people who'd browse the pk3's would notice. It should be made of particles (if possible).

Wouldn't it be possible to HIDE this file Angel
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Well, I think that launching it only on several days per year would be not enough :-) I'd love to see it form time to time, not only on holiday.

As for hiding the pk3: how about game downloading it *secretly* everytime it is going to be used, and deleted it after it?

Or just stored it in some strange location or under strange random name that wouldn't attract anybody to search it? :-)

Oh, I have an idea. Try putting the phoenix in a file outside the models dir (ie. /particles), and naming it particleconfig.gge. Then, QuakeC will get the file, and treat it as a model.

Although you may want not to use egg backwards. Maybe .ass?
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

I just got an Idea how could we mask the textures of the phoenix so even if someone sees it, he won't know what it is. After texturing it, the whole model could get a brand new UV-map weirldy cut in pieces and spread all over the place. After re-rendering textures to new UV map, they would be quite unreadable to eyes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star [SUGGESTION] Awards/Achivements [Spoilers!] unfa 28 30,694 07-08-2011, 12:59 AM
Last Post: .Danny.