Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] take a lesson from excessiveplus

As a lesson.
I will tell you sad story.
There was an big quake 3 mod excessiveplus ( http://www.excessiveplus.net/ ). There was no new mod version in 2 years.
Some prominent community members were annoyed. They created http://www.excessivedawn.org/ based on excessiveplus mod.
They made many bugfixes / cool features to a edawn. Those two mods weren't compatible, you needed to play on separate servers.
Original excessiveplus dev team got awaken. They released new version containing all features and fixes already available in excessivedawn.
After few months excessivedawn died. No one played it.
Excessiveplus got stronger. 100+ servers.

Homework: spot the difference: xonotic and nexuiz vs excessivedawn and excessiveplus

I wish you good luck.
Koruptor

The risk is always there. But if it awakens those developers, that's a good thing too, right? Smile
Xonotic Assasins!

Quote:<tChr^nsb> home
* pughar gives tChr^nsb a cookie
<Liquid-Sin> no cookies for me?
<pughar> gave the last one to him Smile
<Liquid-Sin> my luck...

It seems to me that we win either way. Sure, it will be a shame if xonotic dies out. However, difference spotted: Nexuiz has two devs, neither of which actually do anything.

Heh...that's the biggest difference. Those devs on Nexuiz moved here. The reason we won't see Nexuiz anytime soon is because the developers left and do not want to be associated with the development of Nexuiz. Thus they start a new project. I think that is one of the driving forces behind this project...new life.

Why does everyone keeps fixating on this?

We've moved on. Get over it. Tongue

Exactly!

everything will be fine \o
#doomsquirrels

The "problem" for Nex will be finding a new team first.. at least it feels like everyone was pissed and moved to Xonotic.. Smile
Real signature is still in production!

also we will provide a Nexuiz compatibility pack Wink

Backward compatibility? Big Grin
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

(03-27-2010, 06:38 PM)koruptor Wrote: They released new version containing all features and fixes already available in excessivedawn.
That is false just because neither e+ nor any other mod have all features and fixes that edawn have Wink Even more - ed client partially fixes some e+ bugs when playing on e+ servers with ed client (our compatibility layer allows that) Wink

Site just moved to new location http://edawn-mod.org
Mod is still under active development, more than 200 changes was done since last release: _all_ known/reported bugs fixed, better performance, improved security, bandwidth optimizations, a lot of new client/server options, improved UI etc. Аlso there is optional client/server binaries which also introduces many features and important fixes. Even QVM tools getting modified/rewritten to produce better code, so its more that just usual mod now
---
not for ads but just for story correction Smile

Surely Nexuiz would be the 'excessivedawn'. I don't know if developers are still working on Nexuiz, but since they moved the whole Nexuiz forum into the archives, my guess is, if people want to (in a year from now) play the latest version, it'll be xonotic, as the Nexuiz version by then would be old hat..

The difference between our situation and their situation, is that the Nexuiz Dev team left Nexuiz for Xonotic.

In their case, all the devs were still around, to pick it up eventually. In our case, there are no Devs left for the original PC Nexuiz.
[Image: di-712770583645.png]