Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[SUGGESTION] Xonotic as first ChromeOS FPS

Here is the interesting link:

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/G...OfCode2010

If you'll read it carefully you'll find out that it contains interesting project: "Native Client adds native code execution capabilities to Chromium and other browsers. For this project, we would like to port interesting native applications and libraries to Native Client. Examples of libraries that have already been ported include Cairo, QT, Mesa and ImageMagick. We've also ported a couple languages (Ruby, Lua, Awk) and are working on porting the game Nexuiz".

I doubt guys from Google will do more then proof-of-concept port, but if you'll start from this position it should not be too hard to create full-blown web version of Xonotic. I think the biggest problem will be interaction of clients (Websockets API enforces same-origin policy which is not ideal for games like Xonotic because it'll introduce latencies), but when you are literally the only game in town (the most probable case for ChromeOS right after release)...

Think about publicity brought by link in default install of ChromeOS - or even "launch time title" for new platform...

What do you think?

Chrome OS simply sucks
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Chrome OS isn't the best OS out there but it's a start. The idea behind it is a good one.

Well, it would for sure be very interesting to get a hold of their changes.. Not sure then, maybe this could be used a base to run in any browser?
Real signature is still in production!

It's too early to talk about "any browser" - only Chrome includes Native Client, and then only in development channel and then in desabled-by-default form. But from this article it looks like Google is real serious about the technology so who knows...

As for sources - I guess the best bet is to ask Brad Chen (who's listed as mentor on aforementioned GSoC page) about it. And may be someone can talk with Google guys on Google I/O (there are four guys listed: Brad Chen, David Sehr, Henry Bridge and Nicholas Fullagar).

Whether or not people think it sucks is irrelevant. I think its still had quite high uptake and would be a great way to spread word of Xonotic.

There is really only one thing that matters for a Nexuiz port to any given platform: rock solid high performance OpenGL support. ChromeOS lacks this, effectively ending the discussion right here.

Buzz kill

(03-29-2010, 05:43 PM)kyre Wrote: Rock solid high performance OpenGL support. ChromeOS lacks this, effectively ending the discussion right here.
Source? Sure if netbook is PineTrail and uses built-in video then it's the end of discussion, but Ion2 or Tegra2 have more-or-less the same speed as ATI Radeon 9600 or NVidia GeForce FX 5700 - which are still listed as "High Quality/Recommended" settings for Nexiuz... We don't know what will be used for GoogleOS netbooks, do we?

Btw, I prefer and like the idea of having a browser based game, like QuakeLive. Even if it was done through a plugin, it's great having something like that. I like the idea!
Üdvözlettel / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards:
Norbert

[Image: 34581.png]
[Image: 14909.jpg]

FTE Quake can also run on the browser.
It will be a good idea to give these people as more support as possible.

One reason most Quake things are still "hot" is because are easy to migrate to anything that can compile C code. University students can take Quake* and make a raytracing engine, a scientist or engineer can make a "hiper real" prototype using Quake*. This put Quake* in the Cutting Edge Of Technology and Science. And you want that. So any support you can give then, even "good waves" is cool in my book.

So, everyone here, start emitting good waves, please :-)

(03-30-2010, 09:37 AM)Tei Wrote: One reason most Quake things are still "hot" is because are easy to migrate to anything that can compile C code.
Yeah, this is what makes it hot for CS people, but this is exactly what makes it boring for normal people. I mean: Quake runs everywhere - from browsers (Flash Quake) to the mobile phones (native). So when you say "now this here is the Quake for Web" it lacks this WOW factor.

Xonotic is NOT Quake and this makes it interesting. If it'll be easily available for some people (Chrome and/or ChromeOS users) it can help spread the word.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Add "FPS" to .desktop Launcher electricprism 1 2,691 05-22-2015, 01:33 AM
Last Post: machine!
  [SUGGESTION] Some ideas from my FPS experience simbian 6 7,537 02-11-2014, 03:50 AM
Last Post: thimo
  [SUGGESTION] merging with other gpl fps game making teams? mzoltan14 13 10,674 08-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  [SUGGESTION] Easy-access FPS limiter and pre-tweaked motion blur Lee_Stricklin 9 11,742 09-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Last Post: divVerent