Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[SUGGESTION] Three things that could be mentioned that would make the game believable

I think this right here can explain how fighters are able to maneuver the way they, how they're able to take the damage they do, and how they can keep coming back for more after supposedly getting killed. This is an explanation of frags, health, armor, and why the players are able to bunnyhop and move without fatigue. It could either be placed in the game's documentation or story.

Health: Your health is actually a combination of adrenaline and instant healing drugs that are made up of viruses and nano machines. These machines and viruses work together to heal combat and environmental wounds in milliseconds. Whenever your health is below 100, the machines will cause the viruses to multiply and whenever your health is above 100, it will degenerate (rot) to prevent overdose. When combined with the rest of a fighters equipment, the adrenaline given off by these nano machines and viruses allow otherwise impossible maneuvering without any fatigue what so ever and it's not abnormal to see a fighter use a weapon splash (such as a close range explosion from a rocket) to launch themselves across an arena or bunnyhop at 70MPH+. Due to the intense environment of Xonotic, you are fragged if your health count reaches 0.

Armor: Your armor points is actually the charge on your overshield. The higher the charge, the better the protection. Due to the inefficiency of the overshields, they will degenerate (rot) when overcharged. The overshield prevents fighters from being pulverized and is always active even when there is no charge (albeit with a lot less protection).

Getting fragged: Whenever you are neutralized in the arena, you are quickly teleported out and simply pieced back together before actually dying. A detector on your body will evaluate potential hits potential to see if it kills you before you actually take damage and sends your body's configuration off the arena. Upon being teleported out, regeneration techniques are used to heal any damage the fighter may have taken and all blood loss is instantly transfused upon respawn.

Aerial Movement Assistance: Each fighter is equipped with devices that allow them a level of movement control while airborne. These devices when used with the armor system also allow them to take virtually no damage from falling off of tall objects such as 20 story buildings.

Added aerial movement assistance to the list.

I think all of this is great, but I've read your idea on the frags in several different threads. I think people get the concept. No need to continuously repeat yourself.

All good ideas.

Nice touch with the teleport and respawn. More details on that: you have a detector on every player, that evaluates if the hit will kill you and sends the configuration of the molecules of your body at that time to the "base". After you die, as you said, the "base" identifies all the molecules of your body and teleports them back to the respawn spot, where they are put back together. Actually there is a Star Trek Voyager episode just about this technique.

Also, given the fact that the hit might do severe damage, the "base" uses regeneration techniques that supplement the lost molecules during the teleportation process. This is also based on the configuration of the molecules of your body that was sent before you died.

(03-25-2010, 05:24 AM)Aleator Wrote: All good ideas.

Nice touch with the teleport and respawn. More details on that: you have a detector on every player, that evaluates if the hit will kill you and sends the configuration of the molecules of your body at that time to the "base". After you die, as you said, the "base" identifies all the molecules of your body and teleports them back to the respawn spot, where they are put back together. Actually there is a Star Trek Voyager episode just about this technique.

Also, given the fact that the hit might do severe damage, the "base" uses regeneration techniques that supplement the lost molecules during the teleportation process. This is also based on the configuration of the molecules of your body that was sent before you died.

Even nicer touch! I actually got the teleport idea from a cutscene in Unreal Championship 2 when Sobek scares the shit out of Anubis and puts a rifle round through his face.

Good idea Aleator. I like the detail =)

I'm glad you like it. Feel free to add my suggestions to you first post. That way we refine it. Smile

P.S.: Had some ideas on the shield/armor system also, but I have to find out more stuff to be able to formulate something clear.

Well once you have it, let us know. =D

First post "Getting Fragged" section expanded upon.

Pretty sure that when armor is 0 there's no protection Tongue

I think he said that just because it wouldn't make sense to not have some sort of protection. I can get nexed once with health and not die, that isn't realistic without some type of armor.

Maybe this should be assembled into a codex which gets further expanded as you advance in the single player mode.

As to not being able to take a hit with the nex, you'd probably be down but not out , like a bodyshot with the sniper rifle in Halo
Parents of young organic life forms are warned that towels can be harmful, if swallowed in large quantities.

(03-25-2010, 09:42 PM)Will Wrote: Maybe this should be assembled into a codex which gets further expanded as you advance in the single player mode.

As to not being able to take a hit with the nex, you'd probably be down but not out , like a bodyshot with the sniper rifle in Halo

The codex could probably be accesible through the main GUI so that it's always available even if a proper singleplayer isn't.

Ideas on merging this with Lamoot's concepts posted:

http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=81&page=4

(03-25-2010, 07:09 PM)Erusavion Wrote: I think he said that just because it wouldn't make sense to not have some sort of protection. I can get nexed once with health and not die, that isn't realistic without some type of armor.

This will confuse players who clearly don't see an armor counter. The protection is due to a higher amount of health (how can we explain that?).

Where can I get a clear explanation of how the health and armor work in Nexuiz? I mean charging, recharging, discharging, etc.

(03-27-2010, 08:26 PM)Aleator Wrote: Where can I get a clear explanation of how the health and armor work in Nexuiz? I mean charging, recharging, discharging, etc.
See the code Tongue

I might be able to help you on a specific thing though.

In the code? Tongue IIRC the default is to stop rotting/regen if collected/hit for 5 secs and the speed of both is logaritmic towards 100..
Real signature is still in production!

Yes, I can check out the code. But if I wasn't a programmer, how would I get this information?

@esteel: Sorry, I didn't understand you explanation.

Anyway, once the wiki is in place, we'll have all this information in one place.

There is quite a lot of info "in the code".. would be quite some work to extract all that info.
For example that Rotting/Regeneration. See file: cl_client.qc
function: float CalcRotRegen(float current, float regenstable, float regenfactor, float regenlinear, float regenframetime, float rotstable, float rotfactor, float rotlinear, float rotframetime, float limit)

In general the value will 'tent' towards 100. If its much lower it will regen faster then if its closer, and it will also drop much faster if way higher.. And the rotting/regen stops for a few seconds if you collect some armor/health or get hurt.. Was that clearer?
Real signature is still in production!

(03-28-2010, 08:47 AM)esteel Wrote: There is quite a lot of info "in the code".. would be quite some work to extract all that info.
For example that Rotting/Regeneration. See file: cl_client.qc
function: float CalcRotRegen(float current, float regenstable, float regenfactor, float regenlinear, float regenframetime, float rotstable, float rotfactor, float rotlinear, float rotframetime, float limit)

In general the value will 'tent' towards 100. If its much lower it will regen faster then if its closer, and it will also drop much faster if way higher.. And the rotting/regen stops for a few seconds if you collect some armor/health or get hurt.. Was that clearer?

Got it now. When the wiki is in place I will try to extract that information and make it available in the wiki. I think everybody should have access to it.

Thanks for the explanation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation [SUGGESTION] [CLOSED] Make Trouble in Terrorist Town (TTT) come back LegendGuard 8 4,119 03-23-2022, 06:18 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Petition to Make LG Default in Clan Arena usedcardownloader 0 2,051 07-04-2021, 11:44 AM
Last Post: usedcardownloader
  [DISCUSSION] Xonotic and QuakeC: How painful could it be rewrite Xonotic in a new language? derrant 2 2,325 07-14-2020, 06:45 AM
Last Post: derrant
  [SUGGESTION] Rename Campaign and make an actual Campaign? Beagle 2 3,156 03-17-2016, 10:11 PM
Last Post: fool
  [SUGGESTION] Make instagib/overkill = official asyyy 49 36,806 07-31-2015, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Drauts
  [SUGGESTION] Make game knowledge/info more obvious - i.e. tips Archer 7 10,773 01-21-2015, 02:03 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Ideas on how to make the game more accessible spamyak 6 7,775 08-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Last Post: edh
Sad [SUGGESTION] More noob-friendly Xonotic: gameplay sacrifices to make lamefun 10 11,286 01-30-2013, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Halogene
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Linux - make dependacies obvious - libcurl thumper 10 11,196 05-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Last Post: hutty
  [SUGGESTION] WOULD LIKE A CTS VID SECTION IN FORUM chooksta 7 6,374 11-29-2011, 04:09 AM
Last Post: PinkRobot