Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Automatic texture banding

I just recently remembered a blog entry I read from the awesome people at Wolfire (http://www.wolfire.com/) about some stuff they had tried out before starting on their current project, and something in it gave me an idea for something that might be possible in Xonotic.

The entry is here: http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/08/AWOL-technology

The idea was "texture banding" at areas where geometry intersected, as seen at the very bottom of the post. Would this be possible for Xonotic? As mentioned in the article, I think this is a subtle effect that could make some of the maps in Xonotic look a bit more natural than they do currently.

And actually, quite a few of the techniques mentioned in that post might be useful for Xonotic. Smoke trails on shell casings, normal-mapping on bullet-hole decals, bloody decals on players.

Fantastic ideas here! I wonder how hard it would be to implement some stuff to Xono, most cool seems to me decals on players, automatic texture banding and normalmapped decals Smile

As for casings with smoke - cool dtail too. I think wee need to reduce details on shells models (they eat up a lot of resources) but I'am going for another thread for this.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(10-12-2010, 03:38 PM)unfa Wrote: Fantastic ideas here! I wonder how hard it would be to implement some stuff to Xono, most cool seems to me decals on players, automatic texture banding and normalmapped decals Smile

As for casings with smoke - cool dtail too. I think wee need to reduce details on shells models (they eat up a lot of resources) but I'am going for another thread for this.

Normal-mapped decals. Damn, that would add to the look of the game. Imagine more realistic looking blood or rocket blasts that look like they fractured a piece of geometry.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I'd love it!!!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

It is possible in xonotic, it was possible in nexuiz or even in quake 3, its called ambinet occlusion or dirt mapping and its nothing new.

no, its not. ambient occlusion is about lighting and these automatic texture bands are about making intersections of textures more subtle. the last picture in the article whows what it does.

Normal mapped decals shouldn't be so hard to do, eh? At least for artists Smile Having decals on players would be cool too - imagine someone running around with a hole in his head Big Grin
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(10-27-2010, 04:49 AM)unfa Wrote: Normal mapped decals shouldn't be so hard to do, eh? At least for artists Smile Having decals on players would be cool too - imagine someone running around with a hole in his head Big Grin

Decals on players sounds like a good idea, but they'd have to be set to disappear QUICKLY, else a player would like a total mess running around the arena, especially considering how much lead one could take if they grab armor, health, etc. unless of course they're tied to health and armor, which would sounds like it would be hard to do. It would be cool to see some scorch marks and/or blood end up on a player though.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

And metal-like/electric particle fragments on armor damage and also blood effects.