Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This demo is better than all of Sonic 4 episode 1

In six months, a couple of people were able to put this together. It includes 3 zones based on Emerald hill, but they also combined parts of other zones into them as well in addition to making a completely new one. The art style unlike that bad photoCHOP seen in Sonic 4 is exactly what I would expect to see from Sega Institute (Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles developer) of the early 90s if they had the tech we had today and is evolutionary (more hardware = more detail) to old-school Sonic's style kinda like Knuckles Chaotix graphics were. The physics feel right and use elements from Sonic 2 and Sonic CD as well. Hopefully DIMPS and Sonic Team take notes from this one, or better yet higher these guys and put them in charge.

Sonic Fan Remix demo
http://sonicfanremix.com/

Running it under WINE
------------
It's easy to do. Grab a copy of WINE 1.3 and disable mmdevapi (the same dll you disable for StarCraft II) and run it in Windows XP compatibility with the sound emulated.

On a side note, it looks like the aggregate score of Sonic 4 is gradually falling. It was at 84 when I checked wikipedia before buying the game. Now it's only like 70 (360 version, 75 for PS3) and it's dropping quick as more reviews come in. Hopefully when it's all said and done, we'll get aggregate scores that better reflect how abysmal that game is.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

LMAO!!!!!! Yuji Naka retweeted a fan's post agreeing that this is "256 times better than Sonic 4"!!!!

http://www.sonicretro.org/2010/10/monday...#more-1316

Yuji Naka is the main guy who worked on the Sonic games in the 90s working at Sonic Team (Sonic 1, they also did Sonic CD after Naka left) and later moving to Sega Technical Institute (Sonic 2, 3, and Knuckles) after getting annoyed at the japanese brass.

Oh wait.

in b4 C&D
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

I'm suprised SEGA have not given them a Cease & Desist order. Usually, guys don't even get this far with a project, like that Chrono Trigger remake. But this is far better than 256 times. Just to have that music back is equal to 500 times better Wink

I can't believe this was done in Unity! This is the best Unity game I've ever seen (apart from interstellar Marines).

Sega typically doesn't do the cease and desist thing over fan games. If anything they should give these guys jobs and have them finish their project as a full-blown retail game with help from a team if they need it. I would definitely pay $60 USD for that.

Oh wait.

(10-26-2010, 10:38 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Sega typically doesn't do the cease and desist thing over fan games. If anything they should give these guys jobs and have them finish their project as a full-blown retail game with help from a team if they need it. I would definitely pay $60 USD for that.

Hopefully not 'Sonic Team'. Sonic 4 was.. errrm, dissapointing. Wink

But yeah, I'd definitely pay full price for this, these guys know what the fanbase want!

True that! I think Sonic Team had a big part in screwing up Sonic 4, probably due to the amount of pressure they put on DIMPS. DIMPS actually did two really good Sonic games before Sonic 4 which is why I'm kinda shocked that it turned out so bad, sure the Rush games didn't play like your normal 2D Sonics, but they were still good and original. The physics in Rush are almost identical to that of Sonic 4 minus the problems, so it's not like they're extremely bad or anything when used right, though I much prefer Sonic 2 and Sonic CD's physics. Fun fact: The only three good Sonic game that Sonic Team had anything to do with were Sonic 1, Sonic CD, and Sonic Adventure. The rest of the good ones were developed by different studios, namely Sega Technical Institute made up by mostly ex-Sonic Team in the early 90s. STI did Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Sonic and Knuckles (which was intended to be part of Sonic 3, but time constraints and manufacture costs caused them to split the game). I forgot who developed the two Spinball games, Triple Trouble, and Sonic Adventure 2.

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Six degrees of freedom: Sol-Contingency releases Proving Grounds multiplayer demo Halogene 2 4,289 04-18-2016, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  Warsow 2.0 released with nearly all assets CC-by-SA poVoq 3 4,485 12-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Last Post: Antibody
  Do you modify/make maps for games other than Xonotic? Harmata 7 8,781 10-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Last Post: Cyber Killer
  All great achievements require time anark10n 3 4,783 08-20-2012, 04:52 AM
Last Post: anark10n
  Does playing Arena shooters like Xonotic make you better at slower paced games? Shadowman84 6 8,993 05-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Mepper
  A stupid short video I made for my new long stupid podcast episode. unfa 2 3,898 02-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Last Post: unfa
  Sonic CD 2011 FINALLY hits Steam Lee_Stricklin 0 3,758 01-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  The best game of all time The mysterious Mr. 4m 14 13,266 12-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Last Post: NetMassimo
  Sonic Generations: Sonic is back! (for real this time) Lee_Stricklin 1 4,031 11-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Last Post: subsonik
  Thought y'all might liki some perspective... anark10n 11 10,275 04-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Last Post: The mysterious Mr. 4m