Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
DM- Siege

A battle rages in a fortified mountain stronghold.

[Image: xonotic000000-1.jpg]
[Image: xonotic000003-1.jpg]

and the file:
version 2
Link

enjoy! if you find any problems, let me know and I will update it

EDIT: I can't get that .pk3 to work (xonotic won't recgnize it) could someone please tell me what it is I am doing wrong?
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

Looks nice Smile
About the pk3 file, you have maps, scripts, textures... folders in another folder (Siege)
Siege/maps
Siege/scripts

But they must be in the "root folder". Like:
maps
scripts

Imagine that you are in your map's data directory. The pk3 file should have the same folder hierarchy.
somewhere

Yeah. Take your maps folder, gfx, scripts, etc., drag them onto your desktop. Then select them all at once and compress them and rename the file. Wink

ok thanks. will reuplad in a moment

EDIT: done.

Imgur Gallery

Nice map would work good for minsta and ffa

The terrain patches cause some huge issues, because there is one big hole in it (bind the rifle)
[Image: h9z2xbai28jbjc6p0f3f_thumb.jpg]
and you easily can fall into the void
[Image: ug6y4ivw57vwgh5s52v_thumb.jpg]

there is not enough space between the floor and the platform above you
[Image: 778fwkx9udv0gxbdmaa0_thumb.jpg]
[Image: 58do2wn9d9d28oix86wn_thumb.jpg]
This got an impact on the movement

[Image: h0233ot2yrarhd4i89ky_thumb.jpg]
i guess just didnt noticed it.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

@ Cortez666: Is falling off such a bad thing? I mean, that's the main way to score on the old evilspace...

Maybe playerclips would work for hiding the holes in the rock? IDK, just a thought.

Other comments: Depending on what health system gets used in the final release, maybe you could add some 25 hp? Also the floor seems a little boring, maybe some cracks/crates would spice it up.

Thank you for NOT adding a nex, that was so overused in Nexuiz.

(11-08-2010, 11:18 AM)nowego4 Wrote: @ Cortez666: Is falling off such a bad thing? I mean, that's the main way to score on the old evilspace...

of course not but at the point you see on the first picture you can fall under the map hide because not everywhere is a kill trigger. This can cause an impact on the gameplay
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

yeah, I can add more player clips to cover the problem areas.

alsp, there IS a nex. it's just hidden, and kind of hard to get to. Smile

i will do what I can with the floors, but I kind of like them a little low. (and it IS possible to bunnyhop through there without breaking flow, it just takes timing.)

Imgur Gallery

get it into git. Tongue
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

YOU READ THA MAN! , COMON YA GIT , GET IT INTO GIT! Smile

p.s , this looks awesome , ty

:^

ok, how do I do that? (I thought I had the instructions, but I guess I forgot to save XD)

also, if I do that, will it auto update every time I make changes and recompile?

Imgur Gallery

Dude, this map... is great!!!
Fix the problems and it's got so much potential, I love it!!
I would lose the patch mesh terrain completely and either fudge it out of brushes with a phong shader or get the old Blender out and model thee a mesh sir.
But as it stands they are just pooh Big Grin
The sections with too low ceiling are just annoying i can see no fun to be gained from this.
You obviously know what is a correct ceiling height from the other sections, so it must be intentional, annoying is never good in games,we wants FUN FUN FUN!!!
I can't wait to camp that towar bitch with nex gun , pew pew pew o:
I love this sectional boxy architecture, woot!
I reckon either have it fenced off can't fall off it all around, or totally free floating island in space , but this half and half is just no good.
Both confusing for the player and hard for you to map.
I'm loving the towar btw Big Grin
}{ }{ }{ar
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

atm the level of blending between the skybox and terrain is not really sufficient for what I would like. I don't really like freefloating maps. it seems kind of like cheating to me. I do have player clips in place so you can't go anywhere that would break the illusion (and I am putting in more, so they are more accurate.) and I am also working on improving the cliffs. I think mostly the texture isn't really doing what I want it to (what it seems like it is supposed to) so I will mess around with the mapping.

and I am working on the sections with low ceilings as well.

Imgur Gallery

I tried changing the texture on the walls, and I tihnk it is a big improvement.
[Image: xonotic000000-2.jpg]

I will upload a version 2 soon

Imgur Gallery

For some reason I'm not finding the map in my game. Weird.

Yes, the new texture is better.

One thing that looks "strange", for me:
[Image: e9iarj4np3tj7qv9md8_thumb.jpg]
They don't fit the overall tone of the map. There are light that break the orangish tone (and this is good), but these wires make too drastic change. I would add lights or change the colors. But I really like the map.
somewhere

@Lee: did you try opening the console and typing map siege, or maps, and seeing if it is in the list? (also, has anyone else had this problem?)

also, what browser are you using, and what OS? (when I download a map with google chrome, it adds a .zip to the file name. I have to change it back in order for the map to work.)

@monad: I am not sure why those are not receiving world lighting and color. I have them set to clientillusionary, might that be it?

Imgur Gallery

Oh i forgot the mention i had to repack the pk3 to get it to work.
The reason you should not use these patch meshes is because they totally murder frames per second, this map will never play well with all of them in there, it just won't, end of.
Get rid of them and start again, you can do some awesome things with texture blending on brushes, please lose the patch meshes, please, im begging.
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

ok, I will do that for the next release.

the first post has been updated. here is the link again
http://www.mediafire.com/?xeef93lvi8irbl0

also, I forgot to add a v2 to the filename XD

Imgur Gallery

(11-10-2010, 06:25 PM)theShadow Wrote: ok, how do I do that? (I thought I had the instructions, but I guess I forgot to save XD)
Please rename the map to "siege", leaving the dm- part out to keep it consistent with the other names. Smile

Then, in xonotic/data/xonotic-maps.pk3dir/:
Code:
git checkout -b theshadow/siege
[copy your .map file to the maps/ directory]
git add maps/siege.map
git commit -a
[enter a commit message for the map]
git push origin theshadow/siege

To make future updates you can then simply:
Code:
git commit -a
git push

Because you probably want to use other branches too, this is how you switch branches (e.g. back to master, and when you want to make changes to your map again you do this):
Code:
git checkout master
git checkout theshadow/siege
[make changes AFTER checking out your branch ! Else the map won't even be there :)]
git commit -a
git push

This is assuming that you now have commit rights, if not, send your ssh public key to e.g. divVerent.

(11-10-2010, 06:25 PM)theShadow Wrote: also, if I do that, will it auto update every time I make changes and recompile?
Yes, every time you commit it'll automatically compile the map for you and everyone else.

(11-12-2010, 11:22 AM)theShadow Wrote: ...
@monad: I am not sure why those are not receiving world lighting and color. I have them set to clientillusionary, might that be it?

Im guessing: either its not lit at all, blended is some odd way or has a really wired glowmap.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!1!!one!!

DON'T TELL ME THAT I'M DREAMING!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

ok, I think I got the file committed to git. is there any way I can check?

Imgur Gallery

(11-16-2010, 12:38 PM)theShadow Wrote: ok, I think I got the file committed to git. is there any way I can check?

Did you also push? I can't find it in my list of branches.

yeah I did. the branch is theshadow, not theShadow btw.

Imgur Gallery

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Silent Siege [Duel] Justin 83 83,412 11-29-2014, 07:00 AM
Last Post: GoregeousGuy