Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[SUGGESTION] Fall Damage

One thing I'm really looking for in xonotic is the common fps feature giving your character damage or death from hitting the ground after falling from a very high up place. Not a essential, but it would be nice.Wink

but it is just pure cruelty!!?? Tongue
Fat.bot.Slim

I wouldn't want fall damage. But I could live with it and won't complain loudly (just a little bit to myself...), as I think fall damage has no heavy impact on gameplay.

My reason for not wanting fall damage: I always like to be able to move freely, to do crazy jumps (for example rocket jumps, or, in Nexuiz, electro secondary jumps) - with fall damage you'd have to pay twice with your health for those moves. So I don't really see what the benefit would be of that. Encouraging people to play more carefully? Is that fun? Dunno, not for me. Anyhow, that's how I think about fall damage.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Fall Damage +1
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

We always had falling damage and still have it. It now is stronger than in Nexuiz. But not very strong, and also shouldn't be, or many trick jumps would be no longer possible.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

I don't see a problem with having some minor fall damage, its best if it doesn't restrict movement too much. Actually isn't it pretty minor at the moment? Lets stick with that (see: what div said).
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

What would fall damage provide or improve?
It's not so clear for me.
Fat.bot.Slim

I'm pretty stunned that so many people apparently have never noticed fall damage in Nexuiz Big Grin
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

You hereby are convicted to 15 minutes on my old "sierpinski" map.

[Image: sierpinski_beta2.jpg]
http://rm.endoftheinternet.org/~xonotic/..._beta2.pk3

(11-07-2010, 03:51 PM)divVerent Wrote: You hereby are convicted to 15 minutes on my old "sierpinski" map.

You don't have to go that far. Capturecity is completely sufficient to experience (deadly) fall damage.

When I saw this thread I thought "WTF? What's next? Someone suggests adding a rocket launcher to Xonotic?". Tongue
[Tue Aug 5 2008] [00:15:01] <Ronan`> RoKenn, you're an evil person Tongue

DM Blue sky also has fall damage if you jump from the nex and strength spawn and don't land on a booster.

Even the popular Facing Worlds got it.

Still, I am proposing to increase falling damage a little (in balanceTest.cfg). Will later apply formulas and explain which falling height causes which damage. It will be even less damage at low falling speed, and more at high falling speed.

(11-08-2010, 02:59 AM)divVerent Wrote: It will be even less damage at low falling speed, and more at high falling speed.

Isn't it like that in Nexuiz? Or is it always the same damage?

ALRIGHT yes I know I know we always had fall damage. But somehow it is so low in Nexuiz that it actually didn't make it into my active memory o.O now that you guys are mentioning it I remember receiving damage by running too fast against walls and stuff.

So ok whatever, do with the fall damage as you please but keep in mind that having a laser that opens up vertical freedom requires a reasonably low fall damage. Except if you want to balance this vertical freedom out by making you die if you laser yourself up and don't land on anything higher than where you lasered from Dodgy don't even think about that Angry
My Xonstats Profile

There is no damage if you Laser up (from ground) and fall back to ground again in Nexuiz nor in Xonotic when i tested it for the last time (yesterday).

No there isn't, and that's how I think it should stay.
My Xonstats Profile

I think there should be fall damage for that, if your not doing it properly pay the price.

What would be the correct vs the incorrect way kojn? Could you give examples?
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

Not falling down obviously :p

Falling from 30 stories at an alarming speed might be good enough to sap about 5-10 health I think lol

While i'm neither peculiarly annoyed by, nor frantically thrilled because of fall damage, i would like to request an explanation of the use of besaid feature. i'm trying to come up with a use for it myself, but i'm failing.

That said i like wall damage! (being battered against a wall at irate speed)
4m038105 - Be the change.

Fall damage +1!
#deathmatchers

(11-07-2010, 01:11 PM)Halogene Wrote: I wouldn't want fall damage. But I could live with it and won't complain loudly (just a little bit to myself...), as I think fall damage has no heavy impact on gameplay.

My reason for not wanting fall damage: I always like to be able to move freely, to do crazy jumps (for example rocket jumps, or, in Nexuiz, electro secondary jumps) - with fall damage you'd have to pay twice with your health for those moves. So I don't really see what the benefit would be of that. Encouraging people to play more carefully? Is that fun? Dunno, not for me. Anyhow, that's how I think about fall damage.

Not a fan of having fall damage increased any more than what Nexuiz currently has, theres no need imo.
<[-z-]> have you seen the documentary "happy"?
<Samual_> no
<Samual_> it sounds horrible

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Updating damage indicator on damage instead of creating another indicator rafallus 1 2,123 10-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Splash damage VISUALLY bleeding through surfaces Lee_Stricklin 5 6,781 09-20-2014, 07:04 AM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] Machinegun damage [AP]Sniperz 18 17,061 09-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon damage Damasco 17 14,398 07-31-2013, 07:20 AM
Last Post: ShuffleShot
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon Damage Gam0rdude 6 6,855 11-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Last Post: rainerzufalldererste