Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Things that Xonotic has that not many other FPS games do

Noticed quite a few things that Xonotic has that no mainstream commercial developer is doing right now, here's a few things I find interesting.

Graphics:
Xonotic does a good job hiding any and all graphical weak points it has by avoiding the lame-ass brown and bloom crap and favoring a colorful yet detailed approach with it's art while maintaining a mostly clean clutter-free environment. As a result the game looks very different than most first person shooters released within the last decade. I can think of VERY few other games that have done anything similar to this I've only seen it attempted in the Serious Sam, Unreal Tournament 2004, and Unreal Championship 2 games. Serious Sam lends itself to a cartoony style while UT2k4 lends itself to being a freaking mess, UC2 pulls it off well but does it in a different style than Xonotic. Xonotic also does something interesting with the player models which hasn't been pulled off in other games save maybe Warsow and that is giving them a dark color, a glow, and a bright color to keep them visible at all times.

Performance:
I got a git build (which in my testing runs a helluva lot worse than the preview version) to run at a playable frame rate on junk rig rocking less than a gig of RAM, a P4-based single core Celeron, and integrated pre-AMD ATI graphics. Not many other games can do this. This thing also runs on pretty much any-given OS that's in use now.

Gameplay:
As said in the graphics the maps were obviously built as fighting arenas first and tend have less clutter/bullshit in them making the game feel very fluid. Some of the very best arenas I've seen in ANY GAME (and I've played quite a few) are in this. It also has a focus on skill and mixes in MANY gameplay aspects from classic twitch shooters such as the original Unreal Tournament, QuakeWorld, and Quake III: Arena. There are VERY FEW twitch shooters (much less shooters that actually deserve the title twitch shooter) today and this one not only is a modern one, but one that has VERY unique gameplay that seperates itself from the crowd that inspired it.

Sound:
Due to this being a free project and not something commercial, most of the music has had to be cranked out using software tools. This is actually a good thing, because most current developers don't even think about cranking stuff out on synthesizers these days and instead focus on licensing musicians to do music that doesn't really fit their games well, plus the electronic music done in the game gives it a classic feel that no current game can capture. While not too unique it should also be noted that the sound effects for a lot of the weapons are truly devastating/satisfying. The singe sound you hear after a rocket explosion especially gives you the impression that you probably @$@%'d something up when you hit it.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

And don't forget the @#$!'n Tuba.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

By the way, I think the tuba is totally underrepresented in the stock maps so far. Plus we'd need to balance it a bit better, I find it fairly difficult to hit anybody with the tuba. Maybe we can do a melee attack on secondary for it? Currently it is a bit weaker than electro, especially with the combo.

With the tuba setting Xonotic apart from all the other FPS, I think we should pay more respect to that weapon and make it more present in the game overall.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(02-09-2011, 09:36 AM)Minkovsky Wrote: And don't forget the @#$!'n Tuba.

You mean the @#!%'n Tuba. Tongue

Btw maybe resize the picture in your signature? Rolleyes

Might I also add that the speed of the gameplay is much faster than other commercial games. I find it great to be able to quickly manuver through a map, instead of taking several minuites to run from one end of the map to the other ( I'm looking at you Halo and SWBF).
[Image: b_560x95.png]

(02-09-2011, 10:46 AM)greasem0nkey Wrote: ( I'm looking at you Halo and SWBF).

Looking at me and WHO?
My Xonstats Profile

I think he meant Halo and Star Wars: BattleFront.

Oh wait.

> This thing also runs on pretty much any-given OS that's in use now.

Incoming Shitstorm!

You never know. Wink
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

(02-09-2011, 05:21 PM)naryl Wrote: > This thing also runs on pretty much any-given OS that's in use now.

Incoming Shitstorm!

You never know. Wink

Grab the source and compile it.

Oh wait.

Indeed, I was referring to the games Halo and Star Wars:Battlefront.
[Image: b_560x95.png]

> Grab the source and compile it.

And if there is no gcc for that platform?
- microsoft windows

(02-09-2011, 07:33 PM)naryl Wrote: > Grab the source and compile it.

? hehehe I guess your screwed then.

Oh wait.

naryl Wrote:And if there is no gcc for that platform?

0o, what is the platform?
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

(02-09-2011, 06:41 PM)greasem0nkey Wrote: Indeed, I was referring to the games Halo and Star Wars:Battlefront.

Halo is a GAME? o.O oh noez, my name has been taken! I should sue them!
My Xonstats Profile

(02-09-2011, 07:34 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote:
(02-09-2011, 07:33 PM)naryl Wrote: > Grab the source and compile it.

? hehehe I guess your screwed then.

Thankfully I'm not using one of them :)

clanclanclan Wrote:0o, what is the platform?

MenuetOS doesn't have any libc.
- microsoft windows

(02-10-2011, 05:04 AM)Halogene Wrote:
(02-09-2011, 06:41 PM)greasem0nkey Wrote: Indeed, I was referring to the games Halo and Star Wars:Battlefront.

Never heard about it? lol, it is a popular game series by Bungie.
It was the game who saved the Xbox from market hell like SEGA did with its Dreaming Cast, it was the game who fucked many players to multiplayer matchmaking in Halo 3. It was the game who peoples can have Co-op with their moms. And... it is just for Xbox and Xbox 360. NOT PS3, SORRY SONY-FANZ.
You, Halo has been used for first time in 2001 and earlier, so you is the guy who has TAKEN it. Tongue

If you want to know how it looks like:
(THE LATEST GAME)Halo Reach:
[Image: LB-Halo-Reach-kamp_198717e.jpg]
(FIRST HALO ORIGINAL) Halo Combat Evolved:
[Image: 936full-halo%3A-combat-evolved-screenshot.jpg]

(02-10-2011, 05:04 AM)Halogene Wrote:

SIGGED!
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

I can't tell whether SkyHookers is being serious or not :/
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

(02-13-2011, 12:29 PM)ThePWTULN Wrote: I can't tell whether SkyHookers is being serious or not :/

Well I have to admit that I for one wasn't all serious, okaay I have heard about that game though I actually have picked my nickname LONG (!) before any Halo game came out (ya rly!), and I have only played parts of a Halo game once at a friends' place but wasn't particularly impressed at all except that I was upset they stole the abbreviation of my nick name. But in the end it's only an abbreviation and I still got the whole thing. Tongue

Edit: re-reading SkyHookers post I feel the need to point out that I picked that nickname for my first pilot profile in DESCENT™, which was published 1995 and never since changed it, though I didn't play much online before I fell for Nexuiz. Am I old or what? 3<3
My Xonstats Profile

Well... Microsoft OWN Halo Series now... do you gonna contact them for the nick thing? and then get buyed???

(02-13-2011, 02:37 PM)Halogene Wrote:
(02-13-2011, 12:29 PM)ThePWTULN Wrote: I can't tell whether SkyHookers is being serious or not :/

Well I have to admit that I for one wasn't all serious, okaay I have heard about that game though I actually have picked my nickname LONG (!) before any Halo game came out (ya rly!), and I have only played parts of a Halo game once at a friends' place but wasn't particularly impressed at all except that I was upset they stole the abbreviation of my nick name. But in the end it's only an abbreviation and I still got the whole thing. Tongue

Edit: re-reading SkyHookers post I feel the need to point out that I picked that nickname for my first pilot profile in DESCENT™, which was published 1995 and never since changed it, though I didn't play much online before I fell for Nexuiz. Am I old or what? 3<3

Maybe change nick to Alkali or Chalkogene. Tongue

(02-14-2011, 12:53 AM)SkyHookers Wrote: Well... Microsoft OWN Halo Series now... do you gonna contact them for the nick thing? and then get buyed???

Good idea. Wait, I'm not for sale. Except it depends on the price maybe. In any case, don't put me on ebay, okay?

(02-14-2011, 02:49 AM)Mirio Wrote: Maybe change nick to Alkali or Chalkogene. Tongue

Good point. Maybe I need to fork over my name going commercial.

No don't fork, stick with that name please!
Stop it, idiot, forking is the way to go!
Ah cmon what's in a name anyway? You old Halogene could call yourself GPL Halogene or anything.
WTF why should the original Halogene use some sort of appendix to it's name? Ridiculous!

I could go on. Big Grin

If anyone thinks I took this thread off topic, I will hereby prove him/her wrong. Because this thread shows a material part of what Xonotic has that not many other FPS games do: a great community that has got an excellent taste for quality spam. Thanks for participating!
My Xonstats Profile

Someone mentioned spam...

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cool indie games thread asyyy 15 12,568 01-01-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Julian758
  PSA: Don't buy liquid cooling that has pipes to the side Lyberta 5 3,996 07-14-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  New FPS fan website MarisaG 4 5,224 09-08-2018, 01:21 PM
Last Post: MarisaG
  Is Open Source Multiplayer FPS as a whole dying? Danfun64 9 9,962 01-13-2018, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  RA jumps on Aerowalk (in 24 different games) Smilecythe 31 22,998 12-26-2016, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Quake 2 Railwarz instaGib CTF!!! Games 7 nights a week! bind key +hook for lazer hook MajorLazer 7 11,479 09-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Last Post: MajorLazer
  Games over. thimo 18 16,395 08-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Last Post: PayTheBill
  Fragmovies from other games- thread Smilecythe 25 24,804 04-23-2016, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Matuka
  8 Craziest Guns In Video Games zeroql 5 5,809 12-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  Cross platform games with dedicated server components? end user 5 5,832 11-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Last Post: end user