Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[CTF]Hydrophobia final version

The final version.
[Image: vuxz861ypdke81ylsz9s_thumb.jpg][Image: gmeymie8be7w81yvji_thumb.jpg]
[Image: 8rjwnpsocprh80hx8fsr_thumb.jpg][Image: 3bnyqxxire1trh0jdjzf_thumb.jpg]

Download link:
http://ompldr.org/vN2UwaA/Hydrophobia.pk3

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions and play tested this map.
SavageX for giving me the solution with grids.
Sless for compiling the map, much feedback and beating mirios cap time on the px.de server.

All stuff which is used is GPL V2 compatible.

-------------
New version (now beta 3):
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...5#pid20085
-------------------------------------------
New Version here: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...3#pid18543

or just scroll down a bit

----------------------------------------

OUTDATED
[Image: 632bnwrldmmm1uh8v2wp_thumb.jpg][Image: q0xpbbii3ioshtxz4ky9_thumb.jpg]

Final Version
http://ompldr.org/vNjRteA/hydrophobia_b1.pk3

[Image: d97u1es9p8san0d1rf7p_thumb.jpg]
This number should NEVER EVER go above 2-3, use cubemapped water instead if you have lots of water (really, on this map you should use cubemapped water everywhere where you have water IMO... it shouldn't matter that much plus you'll get rid of the ugly black borders anyway)

Plus I'd recommend you to playerclip these wall details everywhere on the map so you don't bump into the trims that stick out:
[Image: lmnwof5o02au3wqm0kub_thumb.jpg]

And as always, more detail! Smile
Other than that, great map, interesting yet simple layout. Looking forward to the final version. Smile

Edit: Missing textures:
[Image: mr9kc2xyv8fpb45fd3n_thumb.jpg]

Edit2: No visible signs of teleporter, found this by accident:
[Image: qxmaf5hkyb6ube54side_thumb.jpg]
Maybe you could make this a warpzone, with distance fade on one side so that no more than one warpzone will ever be rendered. After making the water cubemapped you should easily be able to afford that. On the other hand, I'm not sure how good this is for layout, it just allows you to laserjump up there and skip a big part of the enemy base both when attacking the flag and escaping from the base.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Great looking map Cortez!

I just wonder about the jumppads in the middle, they are VERY fast and allow you to basically skip the whole mid section, maybe they need less speed and more height?

Other than that I don't like the placing of the quad, how about placing it under water so it slows you down even more to grab it? Probably the same spot works fine, just add some water there.

And how about adding a small ledge between the RL platform and the platforms with the jumppads? This would allow players to use the upper entry as a point of attack. Currently it is possible by using a double laserjump from the RL platform, but a small ledge you can just stand on would be convenient for newer players.
Before posting a reply, please read about the bikeshed.

the middle part needs to be redone.
i will do this sooner or later
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

after nearly one day of compile time, beta 2 !!!

[Image: e747ooklzuabb7uj2mcn_thumb.jpg][Image: nljw85phfwt6li7xdzb0_thumb.jpg][Image: cxdl7wqd66hejpegdn8_thumb.jpg]

http://ompldr.org/vNnE1dw/hydrophobia_b2.pk3
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Looks nice, grabbing now.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

long compile times are icky. I had a map like that, but I loaded it with caulk, and the compile time went from almost 24 hours to less than 20 minutes.

also, is that water down in the bottom? if it is not, you should consider putting some there Wink
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

(12-25-2010, 07:42 PM)theShadow Wrote: also, is that water down in the bottom? if it is not, you should consider putting some there Wink
its cubemapped water but the scaling is way too low so it looks weird

I like it better than the old version. The vertical pipes on the wall in the base look really good. Also good placing of the RL.
The mega+quad in center is going to be Nex target practice. Wink

And I had an idea, but it's probably too much work to bother with, but here it goes: You could go back to the old hydrophobia and edit the angle between the bases so that it's 60 degrees. Then add another branch identical to the bases off the outside edge, that way it's like a three way ctf map (except obviously you would only use two) this way you could use it in domination (one control point in each base). Probably too much work, just an idea.

One day? Did you divide by zero?
Seriously though, what switches did you use?
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

thanks to Sless for compiling the map
[Image: ijaky1fcxn55y7cymtqa_thumb.jpg]

http://ompldr.org/vNzE4cQ

I added most of the suggestion i get from people from the community.

- need to fix some textures
- add a trickjump to the top
- stuff people suggest Smile

EDIT: oh 333 posts half way done Big Grin

The final version. Thanks to Sless for compiling the map again. Smile

[Image: vuxz861ypdke81ylsz9s_thumb.jpg][Image: gmeymie8be7w81yvji_thumb.jpg]
[Image: 8rjwnpsocprh80hx8fsr_thumb.jpg][Image: 3bnyqxxire1trh0jdjzf_thumb.jpg]

Download link:
http://ompldr.org/vNzR3cw/Hydrophobia.pk3

why is the water still messed up?
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

(01-24-2011, 10:28 PM)theShadow Wrote: why is the water still messed up?

its that cudemapped water

Great! I like you map, but i find a few issues:

[Image: mdbbpmoyn737t18foxvr_thumb.jpg]
Lights below the flags slided a little.

[Image: 3hmbxowzuvgvzu9pgpcl_thumb.jpg]
Please, change the ends of the vertical grids...

[Image: apdgaw0h9acyeedr384o_thumb.jpg]
e.g....something like that.

[Image: 1ebzifb12nalt4lihy8k_thumb.jpg]
And the grids look strange here too, like they's just falling down right now.

Jumppads in the middle room are pointless imo. They push the enemy just into a base with great speed, capture is too easy and too fast. Map is imo one of the best xonotic ctf maps, If only the ceiling in the main room was higher... and those jumppads should be removed. Im very delighted playing this map for the first time, its realy simple, great details.

However This map is created for 3v3 matches (not more)

My best time is: 07:40 (using middle jumppads). I will upload video later on YT.

Rly enjoy time spending on Your map, cortez666

@xaN1C4n3: just minor stuff. no need to fix, if it bothers you the map source is included.

@Justin: Without underlining and coloring your post is still understandable.

(02-05-2011, 05:36 AM)Justin Wrote: Jumppads in the middle room are pointless imo. They push the enemy just into a base with great speed, capture is too easy and too fast.
Its design based i did that for a reason.

(02-05-2011, 05:36 AM)Justin Wrote: If only the ceiling in the main room was higher... and those jumppads should be removed.
The map source is included, so you can do it if you want.

(02-05-2011, 05:36 AM)Justin Wrote: However This map is created for 3v3 matches (not more)
NO!

(02-05-2011, 05:36 AM)Justin Wrote: My best time is: 07:40 (using middle jumppads). I will upload video later on YT.

so?

Quote: Justin Wrote: My best time is: 07:40 (using middle jumppads). I will upload video later on YT.
Quote: Cortez666 Wrote:
so?

So? Isn't it fast? Mabye too fast? Have You considered that?
Im still not sure about the number of players but it should be definately less then 6 imo.
Sorry Im using colors not for fun I just like it (weird habit) Tongue
and don't get me wrong: I really Like the design of this map.

me likes it very much , and its cool to play on , ty sir

needs a tune 4 it
so if you dont have one , ill suggest my crappy tune:

http://omploader.org/vNWZoag/sensation3.ogg

always good map work , always mate

:^

(02-05-2011, 12:24 PM)Justin Wrote: So? Isn't it fast? Mabye too fast? Have You considered that?
Im still not sure about the number of players but it should be definately less then 6 imo.
in my opinion fast capping isnt the point of ctf, maybe you see it different.

(02-05-2011, 10:53 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: @xaN1C4n3: just minor stuff. no need to fix, if it bothers you the map source is included.

Whatever...sorry for my comment.Undecided

(02-08-2011, 01:59 PM)xaN1C4n3 Wrote:
(02-05-2011, 10:53 AM)Cortez666 Wrote: @xaN1C4n3: just minor stuff. no need to fix, if it bothers you the map source is included.

Whatever...sorry for my comment.Undecided

i dont want to offend you. the problem with the lights is that the size in the radiant and in the game is different.
The steal construction at the ceiling is not the best solution, but its quiet difficult to make something there.

Ok...You didn't offend me...I understand it now. Thanks you complaining.

now with 100% more chooksta
or with other words i added his sensation3 tune.

http://ompldr.org/vN2UwaA/Hydrophobia.pk3

I had a quick run through the map without oppenents.
The layout seems very simple but solid and i believe it can be a lot of fun to play and it is a great candidate for people who just start to play ctf to learn about this gamemode.
Besides the jumppad-issue where you let us in the dark on what the design-reason is, the layout feels solid and straight-forward.

The brushwork, lighting and texturing on the visual side could be improved a lot though.

[Image: z28czuwfe5mz6g3d8jak_thumb.jpg]
Texturing big flat surfaces with one repeating texture is never a good idea. Break up those areas with additional brushes and textures. And use textures that work together. Also xaN1C4n3's suggestion on the vertical grids was a good one. These look very out of place where they are now. Why are they there? What's their purpose?
Having variations on the height of the ceiling would also help to add some variation and additional support structures could be used as a docking point for the grids.

[Image: dxl5j6js8adfvd6fhisq_thumb.jpg]
Add detail and break up those textures.

[Image: injrrlbdnexbz4q8mgj5_thumb.jpg]
I don't know what exactly you did to the lighting here (haven't looked into the map-file) but it looks like a partly fullbright-compile here Wink
I visually dislike this area the most in the whole map. The lighting is totally flat, no contrast at all and no depth. Please relight!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DM/CTF] Sirlent (Soylent remake) (added CTF version) _para 7 1,656 01-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: _para
  [CTF,ONS,CTS] Trident_ctf [FINAL] Kotangens 10 5,235 08-29-2022, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [MAP] The Yard 2.0 [FINAL] Cortez666 24 30,914 11-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Last Post: snazz
  Checkmate 1.0 release version Julius 11 9,452 02-18-2019, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Julius
  [DUEL] Tuhma (FINAL) Smilecythe 21 17,101 07-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [Vanilla, XPM CTF] antares-ctf1_b2 (Silica CTF) Antares* 0 2,149 11-30-2017, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Antares*
  [DUEL]Phrantic - Final Cortez666 23 18,786 09-30-2017, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Justin
  [TDM]Voll aufs Maul FINAL Cortez666 37 44,080 02-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Last Post: zykure
  Fickle-ctf [CTF] [ONS] nowego4 31 32,496 11-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Mario
  Final Rage [New Item Layout] -Lo- 22 19,292 04-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Last Post: machine!