Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[SUGGESTION] DoF Shader

Photo 
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ADD A DOF SHADER!!!

(for those who don't know what that is:
[Image: generic_image_view.php?ID=7271])
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

why would anyone want that in an fps? while it adds realism and atmosphere i doubt many people will enable that....

There is only ONE game (Crysis) I know that did depth of field right and damn did it have some sky-high requirements. On top of that, this is a HIGH-SPEED, ARENA game. This is not brown/bloom Madden FPS (Cowadooty) 720.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

It would be nice for recordings and screenshots
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

You'll notice that most of the photos you find of DoF are of close-ups or models. In a FPS you are supposed to be humanoid sized, so it wouldn't be noticeable.

In browsing around on some Blender galleries I found the number 1 problem with people trying to make their image realistic was going overboard on the DoF. They could have this very pretty house with textures and shrubs etc etc, but it would look like a toy model because a fence or something right behind the house would be blurred.

Nice brainwaves though.

Clive Barker's Jericho also used DOF very nicely. But i agree that a fast fps like xonotic doesn't need one. Recordings on the other hand would proft but i guess that this is of very low priority

I see only one situation in which it would be valuable, zoomed in, and while the weapon would be blurred considerably, the parts of the environment with only the most extreme depth differences would be blurred slightly. It would enhance realism without impacting gameplay, and it would look pretty. DoF isn't an inherently GPU killer, it just has to be done right.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Slippary ground shader _para 15 11,695 08-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Last Post: unfa