Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frags -> Scores?

While playing the latest GIT version, I saw that every time you made a kill you receive the message "You scored against X" rather than the "You fragged X" message we had in Nexuiz.

Personally I don't like the new message, mainly because kill streaks lead to the message "X has Y scores in a row", which grammatically doesn't make sense.

Will this be a permanent thing?
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

Eh, as far as I know that's supposed to be a cl_gentle message... Make sure both cl_gentle and sv_gentle are set to 0, and tell divVerent about it or add a bug item to the tracker (or even better, fix it yourself Wink)

EDIT: also check that cl_gentle_messages is 0 too

Okay, I've figured out what was going on Smile

I have the "Disable gore effects" (in player setup) activated to improve performance. That must've set cl_gentle to 1, because disabling it caused cl_gentle to become 0.

This wasn't the case in Nexuiz, so I guess that's why I was a little confused.

If you just want the gibs change, you can set cl_gentle 0 but cl_gentle_gibs to 1 (also try 2, 3 Tongue)
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Could we change the kill message to plain old "kill"? That would be more obvious than "score" or even "frag".

(11-17-2010, 06:33 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Could we change the kill message to plain old "kill"? That would be more obvious than "score" or even "frag".

No, "frag" is a slightly elitestCool term that gaming communities around the internet have latched on to. It isn't going away. EVER Wink

(11-17-2010, 11:17 PM)ALT-F-X Wrote: No, "frag" is a slightly elitestCool term that gaming communities around the internet have latched on to. It isn't going away. EVER Wink

I sure hope so. "Kill" sounds so... violent. Tongue
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(11-18-2010, 04:39 AM)Halogene Wrote:
(11-17-2010, 11:17 PM)ALT-F-X Wrote: No, "frag" is a slightly elitestCool term that gaming communities around the internet have latched on to. It isn't going away. EVER Wink

There should be a super gruesome mode I think. Extra gibs, extra gory kill messages and so on.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

(11-18-2010, 06:06 AM)Sepelio Wrote:
(11-18-2010, 04:39 AM)Halogene Wrote:

There should be a super gruesome mode I think. Extra gibs, extra gory kill messages and so on.

You brutally melee killed Player1 with your blood-coated shotgun. Oh did I mention there's blood everywhere?
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

You brutally melee killed Player1 with your blood-coated shotgun. Oh did I mention there's blood everywhere?
[/quote]

This wins the award for the best message!!
good idea fruiti HeartAngel

EWWWWW!

* Halogene runs away crying and sobbing "You slapped Player1 around with a large trout" sounds much better
My Xonstats Profile

(11-18-2010, 09:32 AM)Halogene Wrote: EWWWWW!

* Halogene runs away crying and sobbing "You slapped Player1 around with a large trout" sounds much better

Nex Babi!

"The message system couldn't take this violence any longer"
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

But at least when we disable gore effects, the message should then be like

You *beep* *beep* Player1 with your *beep* shotgun. Oh, did I mention there's *beep* everywhere?

I mean, what's the use of disabling gore effects, when you have gorey messages?!

Apart from the obvious FPS-related issues, I mean.
My Xonstats Profile

(11-18-2010, 10:41 AM)Halogene Wrote: But at least when we disable gore effects, the message should then be like

You *beep* *beep* Player1 with your *beep* shotgun. Oh, did I mention there's *beep* everywhere?

Censoring verbs might lead to a couple of slightly embarassing misunderstandings....

PlayerY nastily *beep* PlayerX with the crylink in the *beep* while *beep* chickens. You sick *beep*

Server: PlayerY was banned
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

This can only happen if there's an ethic moderation algorithm implemented, and if that algorithm runs as a SEPERATE process from the message generation process AND the profanity button process so it doesn't know what both of those processes were doing. We should notify the devs that they have to watch out that any ethic moderation algorithm NEEDS to know the original version of profanity checked messages and mustn't deal with the gore-free displayed version only.

Thanks to all that this has become apparent. Who would've thought about that in beforehand?
My Xonstats Profile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,392 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  XSC16 FRAGS - Smilecythe Smilecythe 3 3,759 09-12-2016, 03:06 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe