Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
[SUGGESTION] You are on RED!

I noticed that I have to check the score table or look at colour of my gun to know what team am I at. This is mostly the case with TDM games, but sometimes in CTF too. The problem is, the game seems to be sometimes confused. And I see myself to be on red. I shoot some blue guy and I hear the "bzzzzt!" sound. This happens rarely but it a bit mined my belief in teams Big Grin

I think it would be very nice to see (and hear) a nice big

you are on
RED

you are on
BLUE

Everytime I switch teams, or the match begins.

How about that?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

IDK I get the picture by the HUD color, gun color, and base color where you spawn, not sure much more than that is needed. If it does get used let me have the option to turn it off.
<[-z-]> have you seen the documentary "happy"?
<Samual_> no
<Samual_> it sounds horrible

Don't worry, I had this same problem in UT2004 & nexuiz, kind of paranoid a little forgetting which team I was on lol.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

totally agree with the problem raised by unfa.

For at least two reasons:
- to clearly identify your team,
- to inform noobs that there are two teams...
Fat.bot.Slim

(11-25-2010, 01:49 PM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: totally agree with the problem raised by unfa.

For at least two reasons:
- to clearly identify your team,
- to inform noobs that there are two teams...

Thanks for support.

Of course this feature should be possible to turn off if somebody don't need it.

Maybe this information could apear not in the center of the screen, but either under the crosshair:
Code:
._____
|     |
|_xxx_|  <--- right here

So one can see what's up, and this caption doesn't completly blind him.

The feature could be also in somewhat gentle mode:

The whole screen (under the "hood") after respawn could be multiplied by colour of your team. This should be configurabre and could last 3 seconds (slow decay).

This way whole screen is visible all the time, player gets information on what team is he at just with that colour. It can distort image and - all red things would look like black after this filter, but I don't know. I think this could be an option here.

Newbies could use the caption method, more expirienced players - the color blend method.

I'd make a video demo of what do I mean, but blender crashes everytime Tongue
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Code:
._|_.       <--  CROSS
_ | _       <--  HAIR
|RED|
Could look nice Big Grin
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

lol. Something under the crosshair would be super annoying. There are really enough things to see which team you are on *points at LiquidSins post* . Also the scoreboard itself or the teammate picture above your mates.

(11-25-2010, 04:10 PM)Mirio Wrote: lol. Something under the crosshair would be super annoying. There are really enough things to see which team you are on *points at LiquidSins post* . Also the scoreboard itself or the teammate picture above your mates.

I don't say it should be right under the crosshair, but in the space between crosshair an bottom screen edge.

And this caption would last only 3~5 seconds (configurable) after match start and after respawning after team change. Same applies to the color blend type of indication thing.

Well, I don't know like others, but for me : the teammate tags are rather unvisible from bigger distance, also in the mad speed of the game such small things are not coming to my mind instantly, and this leads to friendly fire... Smile

This is normaly not an issue at all UNLESS the auto team switching becomes standered for most servers (eatseakittens has it I believe, also doku added it to HOCTF). Not that I'm against auto-switching, but the current message doesn't do it justice.

So maybe at the beginning of each new map, and when you are auto-switched?

(11-25-2010, 07:47 PM)nowego4 Wrote: This is normaly not an issue at all UNLESS the auto team switching becomes standered for most servers (eatseakittens has it I believe, also doku added it to HOCTF). Not that I'm against auto-switching, but the current message doesn't do it justice.

So maybe at the beginning of each new map, and when you are auto-switched?

Yeah I have seen players a few times go "oh sorry damn auto-switched" a better message for when they get switched could be useful.
<[-z-]> have you seen the documentary "happy"?
<Samual_> no
<Samual_> it sounds horrible

I'd really like a team reminder every time you shoot a team mate as well Smile

It would mean that you don't have to tell noobs to "shoot blue" or "shoot red" every 30 seconds.
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

(11-26-2010, 01:28 AM)clanclanclan Wrote: I'd really like a team reminder every time you shoot a team mate as well Smile

Theres a sound and you lose health?!
Jesus people. Big Grin

- HUD color
- Weapon color
- Teammates color
- Own base color
- Flag color
- SCOREBOARD?! (Just 0.5 secs of holding TAB and watching it)
- Little score at bottom
(- Join via F5)

Just implement something if its easy and you are able to choose whether you want to use it or not.

(11-26-2010, 08:13 AM)Mirio Wrote:
(11-26-2010, 01:28 AM)clanclanclan Wrote: I'd really like a team reminder every time you shoot a team mate as well Smile

Theres a sound and you lose health?!
Jesus people. Big Grin

- HUD color
- Weapon color
- Teammates color
- Own base color
- Flag color
- SCOREBOARD?! (Just 0.5 secs of holding TAB and watching it)
- Little score at bottom
(- Join via F5)

Just implement something if its easy and you are able to choose whether you want to use it or not.

I'am not raising this question just because I think It might be helpful. I need it Big Grin

When server assigns me a team, I'd like a big message. Or some other type of stuff.

For example: the crosshair could disappear when pointed at teammate. This would instantly tell me that this blue guy is my friend, and I wouldn't shoot him because I thaught I was on red.

(12-02-2010, 04:34 PM)unfa Wrote: For example: the crosshair could disappear when pointed at teammate. This would instantly tell me that this blue guy is my friend, and I wouldn't shoot him because I thought I was on red.

Dunno, disappearing crosshairs would really annoy me. A huge (cvar'ed) message like "YOU ARE ON RED" would be ok I think, but there's plenty of indicators what team you are on. Though I have to confess that I sometimes got confused during the first seconds of the match, too Blush but I figure that's mainly due to my brain being old, fragmented and slow.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Ok now let's try to converge:
- there is a problem to identify your own team (for noobs AND regular players),
- the crosshair thing tends to be annoying. So let's forget it.

Now I ask: what's the problem with simplest initial unfa's proposal, that is a brief big start message, indicating: "you are in the X team" ?
Fat.bot.Slim

No problem (except I can't code) - I'd suggest to make a big message in the color of the team you are in and make it fade to transparency during first 3 seconds or so.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

sounds fair.
Anyone else comment?

Other point: how to manage with the auto team switching?
Personnaly, I never saw this mechanism.
If there is a countdown just before the switch, Halogene's idea still applies.
If the switch is more "brutal", the message could be depicted briefly during the game.
In any case, this message could be a bit different, emphasizing the team switch.
Any comment?
Fat.bot.Slim

(12-03-2010, 07:44 AM)Halogene Wrote: No problem (except I can't code) - I'd suggest to make a big message in the color of the team you are in and make it fade to transparency during first 3 seconds or so.

I agree. I think that would be enough. Some cvars to control size, position, and fadeout time (if 0 - the messegase are 0ff) would b3 nice.

I think the message should appear:

everytime a player joins or changes team
OR
only when a player gets auto-assigned or auto-switched (switched players? :P)

Maybe this aspect also could be configurable?

same problem here.... I agree Unfa's proposal!!

Well, clearly most people agree that this is a good idea -

I was talking with FruitieX earlier about re-doing the centerprint display to be more intelligent and incorporate itself into the panelhud system, and this actually could be yet another good reason to do this. If we had more control over the display of centerprints, we could easily add something like this which puts up a notification above your crosshair for several seconds. (Below crosshair is not a good place, as other stuff already exists there such as showpressedkeys and speedometer etc.... These *could* be moved, but imo it's better to just go with a successive [multiple message at once] centerprint system like seen in spidflisk, except with more control.) Another useful thing about this is we can even expand it to do more things such as explain roles in keyhunt or other such situations so that players know what's going on around them much more.

Adding to my todolist for when/if we re-do centerprint display.

P.S.: If you don't like this, that's fine too - it'll probably be cvarred easily and clients may even be able to turn it off.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Friend/Enemy instead of Blue/Red where possible BlaXpirit 25 25,094 04-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Orange base and blue base instead of red and blue base? kay 24 19,277 06-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Last Post: divVerent
  [SUGGESTION] The more you kill, the brighter you get Dokujisan 20 16,614 09-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Last Post: MintOX