Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Sniping weapons

Hey all,

I was able to go and test out the Xonotic weapons. Very awesome!

I was confused about a couple things though, primarily, the secondary modes on the two sniping weapons: the Nex and the Rifle.

What in the world do they do? I couldn't tell for the life of me.

I would seriously like to propose adding a scope to each of them. That is a crucial part of any sniping weapon in any technology level, and is very helpful, especially in fast paced games like Xonotic (I think, anyways).

But I could be wrong. Can someone explain why they don't have scopes?
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Secondary on the nex, charges up the shot so it is more powerful, when you hold down the secondary button you'll see a ring around the crosshair move up and go around, once it goes all the way around it's at it's max charge Smile

Secondary on the sniper rifle is a silenced shot, I think it does less damage also (makes sense).

Hope this helps.

As for the scope, not sure why, is what I asked for but apparently you can zoom in with a key or something Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

A separate scope? Now that would be awesome. Much better.

Silencer and extra charge make sense. If the zoom/scope button works, that is simply perfect.

Does anyone know how to find the zoom if there is one?
Hm, it uses the exact same amount of cell ammo whether you do max charge or regular. Maybe I am doing it wrong or something.

We need some kind of target for dojo type maps that demonstrates damage. Like the wall has health, and changes color based on how much health it has. So you can see practically how much splash damage different weapons have, and how much a particular weapon damages the target.

It would definitely help for tests like this. Tongue
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

Just look into your controls. You can set "zoom" somewhere. I forgot the default, cause I changed it. Tongue

Found it. It was set to Mouse3, which I don't have. I changed it to 't'. Which seems to work well for me.

The sniping weapons get separate scope crosshairs from the other weapons, which is appropriate and cool.

Now I need to figure out that Nex secondary...

Now, You won't able to speak with the other players, cause "t" was [tell]. I' m using mouse wheel (pressing it) to zoom, it's quite confortable.Kojn, Thank You very much that u explained ewhat is rifle and nex secondary. I couldn't sleep without this information.
I'm still wondering why u cannot charge nex after previous shot (sometimes it doesn't make a whole circle)

(11-26-2010, 08:18 AM)Sir Emeth Mimetes Wrote: Now I need to figure out that Nex secondary...

There are two rings around your crosshair when wearing the Nex.

The outer ring indicates how charged up your weapon is currently. That is, how much damage/force it'll inflict upon firing. The charge regenerates and rots to 50%, but you can charge it further than this by holding the secondary fire button.

When you start charging with secondary fire you'll notice that the inner ring starts depleting, think of this ring as ammo for the secondary fire charge. Or let's say it's a "battery" of sorts. If your battery is full, there should be enough power to charge about 4 full Nex shots. After it's emptied out you can't charge with the secondary anymore, you'll have to wait until it regenerates (which happens if you release the secondary fire button). However as a consequence of regenerating, your health regeneration will pause.

Hope that clears it up Smile
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

(11-26-2010, 07:28 AM)kojn^ Wrote: Secondary on the sniper rifle is a silenced shot, I think it does less damage also (makes sense).

Yes it does do less damage but this is unrealistic and does NOT make sense. The only reason this would make sense is if you were using a smaller caliber (in which case it should use less ammo, but it doesn't). A silencer is just a tube on the end of a barrel that is filled with rings to absorb the sound waves.

To be precise, the damage is a 25 hp difference, from 75 to 50, and the headshot damage decreases by 50! (from 125 to 75)

As to the Nex, for some reason the 'g_balance_nex_charge_shot_multiplier' is set to zero, not sure why.

So.. we take the most of the sniper ability out of the nexgun, re-molds it in a really irritating form and put it into the crifle. is this really desirable? not for me. I think the crifle stealth secondary is 0xBAADF00D (who cares if its realistic or not..?) simply because it embraces everything most ppl hate in fast paced games, sniping, not knowing where the sniper is, and so on.

(11-26-2010, 05:43 PM)tZork Wrote: So.. we take the most of the sniper ability out of the nexgun, re-molds it in a really irritating form and put it into the crifle. is this really desirable? not for me. I think the crifle stealth secondary is 0xBAADF00D (who cares if its realistic or not..?) simply because it embraces everything most ppl hate in fast paced games, sniping, not knowing where the sniper is, and so on.

why don't you remove the crifle then
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Code:
g_start_weapon_campingrifle 0

in the balance config files aught to do it.

(11-26-2010, 05:48 PM)FruitieX Wrote:
(11-26-2010, 05:43 PM)tZork Wrote: So.. we take the most of the sniper ability out of the nexgun, re-molds it in a really irritating form and put it into the crifle. is this really desirable? not for me. I think the crifle stealth secondary is 0xBAADF00D (who cares if its realistic or not..?) simply because it embraces everything most ppl hate in fast paced games, sniping, not knowing where the sniper is, and so on.

why don't you remove the crifle then

Personally id not miss it. But i think others would, and the primary is quite ok imo. its just the secondary that does not seem to fit.

balanceLeeStricklin VS physicsFruit thread....

I re-mapped the talk to backslash. Smile

Sniping weapons are not only used for camping, as far as I know. They are also handy for when you are on a larger map or flying through the air and trying to get people far away.

Besides, they are cool. Haha.

I think the rifle needs a new model though.

Definitely needs a new model Smile

I quite agree with tZork the primary is fine (it is great fun in assault!), but secondary I am neither for or against it though, i'd prefer a scope but that's me.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

We don't need a scope anymore because that is an off-hand (is that the right term?) bind.

Agreed with you on the Rifle secondary.

Is anyone working on the new model for the Rifle? I might be able to try some concept rough sketches (but don't quote me on that, haha).

I haven't made anything for the DarkSpaces engine yet, but I have TONS of experience with the Quake engine, so I'm sure it won't take me long to adapt.

Due to other things going on, I won't be able to do a lot of work until after Nov. 30th, but I'll do what I can, and here's a bit of concept art for what I have in mind for a really cool sniper:

[Image: s6RWk.png]
[Image: myvFI.png]

i might be able to whip something up. however, there is no one to texture, as Oblivion has disappeared. if there is anyone that would be willing to texture weapons for me, send me a PM.

btw I made the current nex model.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I can do texture work Smile

And here's a WIP of a sniper model following the concept I posted a while ago

[Image: Ku4mv.png]

EDIT: Ok, I just used the current sniper in Xonotic, and I'm not sure why a couple people said it needed changed...I thought it was awesome! Maybe I should modify what I've got and put it towards a different weapon...

eventually, I would like to replace all of the weapons in xonotic, so that they match technically and visually. (like what was done with the player models.)
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

I think it looks awesome too, but it doesn't seem to fit in with the other weapons good enough. The others are more sci-fi and futuristic (and more blocky). It is more current time looking.

(11-28-2010, 02:42 PM)theShadow Wrote: weapon modeling guru

look @ your sig xD
Start Modeling Big Grin I'd love new models for some weapons Wink

PS: I tried to model a new minsta nex Big Grin

ignore the blur xD

edit made a new render:

this is just a concept
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(11-29-2010, 08:21 AM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote:
(11-28-2010, 02:42 PM)theShadow Wrote: weapon modeling guru

look @ your sig xD
Start Modeling Big Grin I'd love new models for some weapons Wink

He already has actually, and I'm focusing on texturing one of his models right now instead of developing my own (hence my sig is only being half-fulfilled atm as well) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Limited weapon slots & customizable spawn weapons MirceaKitsune 38 34,561 09-14-2014, 04:19 AM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] Community Design Workshop: singleplayer weapons tutorial s1lence 4 7,598 07-03-2013, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Mirio
  [SUGGESTION] Real Weapons Miguel 27 26,919 11-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Last Post: HellYeah
Star [SUGGESTION] New ammo type for hitscan weapons s1lence 18 19,463 10-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Anti Vehicles Weapons philosphy Majki 10 10,272 04-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Last Post: freefang
  [SUGGESTION] Cut down on the number of weapons poVoq 109 93,737 02-04-2012, 01:44 PM
Last Post: s1lence
  [SUGGESTION] sniping training center Rage_ATWM 14 12,375 12-16-2011, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Rage_ATWM
  [SUGGESTION] Decrease amount of carryable weapons? Sarge999 38 38,032 11-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Sarge999
  [SUGGESTION] 5 secs respawn for weapons as default lda17h 15 15,824 11-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Weapons function tZork 208 227,746 06-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Mirio