Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[SUGGESTION] Ice Factory (new game mode)

I got an idea for new gametype while playing FreezeTag.

it would be a combination of FreezeTag and CTF.

All players would have unlimited off-hand hook.

Like in CTF, maps would contain two bases.

To score for your team: you have to freeze some enemy (frag him) and then... Big Grin
Drag him with the hook into your base!

There should be some shaft, once you throw the frozen enemy into that shaft, your team gets a point Big Grin

Of course maps would require design that will make it possible to easily drag frozen players with hook Smile But propably some CTF maps could be just slightly modified to make it possible.

What do you think?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

That sounds like it would be fun.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

I don't know... the way it's set up now it might just pull you to the frozen player... but it might work.

Well, it might require a lot of skill to do Smile And maybe we'd need to tune the physics a bit. Or give players also jetpacks...
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Could be... interesting. I like the idea. Could maybe make the maps dynamic and have several places that you can drop your frozen friends off at, but only 1/2 are ever active at any time. Real chaos.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

(12-02-2010, 07:23 PM)Sepelio Wrote: Could be... interesting. I like the idea. Could maybe make the maps dynamic and have several places that you can drop your frozen friends off at, but only 1/2 are ever active at any time. Real chaos.

That seems like a real chaos Big Grin Could be very funny. Imagine 4 red guys dragging one frozen blue all over the map with their hooks to find some active "slot" and blue guys attacking them, freezeing two red guys and stealing one of them away with their hooks Big Grin

So there could be several bases (unlike in CTF) which could in cycles be:
  • 1 - active for red
  • 2 - inactive
  • 3 - active for blue
  • 4 - inactive

A fast variant would be to the slots to cycle only in red-blue sequence, without pauses.

Team can drop oponents only to slots open for their team.

I think we'd need to develop some universal 'base' or 'slot' entity for this purpose to be re-used for all maps in this mode.

A base could be a cilindrical platform wih a forcefiled. Red forcefield will only let red players through, blue forcefield would let only blue thrughm and white forcefield will not let anybody in or out.

There should be a timer in those slots showing time to next cycle item. Unfortunate players could get trapped inside bases. And torn apart.

There always should be an even number of bases, so half can start being active for red, and half starting being active for blue.

Each item in the cycle takes 10~15 seconds (so ya need to be quick or camp well)

That could be überfun!

The struggle would be to avoid getting frozen and to freeze enemies - and to cooperate to drag enemies to slots to get points.

Without changing physics - it could be very hard to drag someone alone, tammates would need to cooperate with the dragging to score.

You forgot 5 - active for both Tongue

(12-03-2010, 06:42 PM)nowego4 Wrote: You forgot 5 - active for both Tongue

Could be Smile

I was playing a bit with freeze tag and hook and it seems that dragging frozen players is surprisingly easy. I think they should get much bigger mass to make it harder.

I think that if you made it harder to drag frozen people, that would slow the game down. Think about it: it doesn't take any effort to pick up a flag. And dragging is already harder than just carrying.
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

My God, that's a very splendid idea! But like what Sir Emeth Mimetes said, it'd slow the game down and anyone could kill you easily when you're dragging that frozen player.

(12-03-2010, 05:40 PM)unfa Wrote: I think we'd need to develop some universal 'base' or 'slot' entity for this purpose to be re-used for all maps in this mode.

we have Domination and controlpoints for this mode in some maps, it could be reused for this mode.
and the bases could need to be captured before they can be used to score(unlike rotating through the teams) like in ONS... it could be captured instantly but active after some delay

@luziferius: or just all slots could be active all the time for all teams to make it simplier Smile

@All: After more playing with Freeze Tag I'm getting more and more confident that this mode would be ton of fun Smile Dragging frozen players seems just too fun to not base any mode on it Smile

Actually I think there's a far better idea here... Instead of CTF, you essentially have one giant arena with a single platform in the center where you need to drag a frozen player into.

Basically the idea is: Freeze an enemy and bring him to the center of the map then -- this scores you a point and respawns that player.

This way it also isn't a total rip off of CTF and Freezetag and remains somewhat unique. -- BTW, my idea could probably be just appended onto Freezetag itself easily as a separate win mode.. (similar to how Nexball has many different sub divisions)

I think it would be better to add a mutator "freeze instead of kill".
That would care for a lot of these new gamemodes... we have already too much gamemodes Tongue

Actually many ideas here sound a bit like the Harvester game mode in Quake 3 Team Arena.

There you frag players, which leave a "skull/soul" you can collect. Collected souls are visible for other players as they are linked to your avatar and follow your every move. In the base of every team there is some sort of power generator, where you put your harvested souls to score.

The twist is that if you get fragged the enemy can collect the skulls you previously harvested, so you have to decide if to return to your generator for every single soul or if you first try to collect a few to spend more times fragging.

This can be played on every CTF map, where a soul-collecting generator is spawned instead of flags.

My description of the Harvester game mode was considerably off. This is how it really works in Q3 Team Arena: Whenever you frag someone a soul skull will spawn at one central generator. Your team has to collect those soul skulls and bring them into the enemy base for scoring, NOT into your own base.

edit: Oh, and the "twist" I originally described doesn't exist either Wink

So that's where Epic got the idea for greed in UT3...
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

@Samual: I like your idea, the "Ice Factory" or "Ice Cream Plant" name would then fit better it's content. And it would be simpler + it would add some new tactics. You can hunt for people to freeze and drag them to the plant or be bad and steal other's people frozen victims Big Grin That also could use some DM maps with a special entity for the plant being present only if you play the right mode.

@SavageX: I think your idea is a totally different game mode. With frozen players you can drag only one an a time, and it requires some physical interaction. The thing with collecting souls seems completely different. Dragging frozen players is the key element to this mode I proposed here.

(01-09-2011, 12:45 PM)unfa Wrote: @SavageX: I think your idea is a totally different game mode. With frozen players you can drag only one an a time, and it requires some physical interaction. The thing with collecting souls seems completely different. Dragging frozen players is the key element to this mode I proposed here.

Well, the key difference is that frozen players cannot simply respawn.

Bad players (like myself) can get frustrated pretty easily if they have to sit around most of the time ;-)

(01-09-2011, 01:07 PM)SavageX Wrote: Bad players (like myself) can get frustrated pretty easily if they have to sit around most of the time ;-)

Well, unskilled players can get frustraded in every gametype and that's a risk anybody is taking to play this game Smile

(01-09-2011, 02:18 PM)unfa Wrote:
(01-09-2011, 01:07 PM)SavageX Wrote: Bad players (like myself) can get frustrated pretty easily if they have to sit around most of the time ;-)

Well, unskilled players can get frustraded in every gametype and that's a risk anybody is taking to play this game Smile

Yes and no. Yes, bad players will get beaten up pretty bad, but at least in other gamemodes they can at least respawn and try to kill someone with the laser Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Sumo game mode BuddyFriendGuy 2 1,977 02-24-2023, 02:32 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] new game mechanic: Flash Steps ballerburg9005 6 2,732 08-22-2021, 06:21 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  [SUGGESTION] Some "modern" Suggestions (Wipeout Mode, Electro Color) NoClue 1 1,980 10-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Mario
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] A NEW GAME MODE - HIDE AND SEEK! Kotangens 5 3,666 07-30-2020, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [SUGGESTION] Destroyable Health mode. Magician 11 7,714 03-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Last Post: martin-t
  [SUGGESTION] Relic Duels (game mode) munyul 5 4,831 02-11-2018, 10:59 AM
Last Post: martin-t
  [SUGGESTION] Borderless (Fullscreen) Windowed Mode Iokast 0 3,210 07-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Iokast
  [SUGGESTION] New toys not new any more? BuddyFriendGuy 11 9,141 05-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Zombie mode verretor 4 5,233 09-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] CTF/FT hybrid game mode end user 9 11,399 08-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Mario