Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] MergeMetaTriangles takes very long time... [SOLVED]

i have a question about my NetRadiant problem (i'm not sure if it's a problem at all).
I'm compiling my map and part "MergeMetaTriangles" takes about 30-40 minutes. From what i remember, when i was compiling few times before it was like max few minutes.

Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what i changed in my map just before i noticed that long compiling time (i'm compiling usually when i go out and leave my computer working).

From what i've googled, the cause of longer "MergeMetaTriangles" may be a lot of lava, water or any fluid. But i don't use those at all...

I'm on WinXP SP3, Core2Duo E6850 3GHz, 3GB of RAM, so is it my hardware or something?

here's pk3 with .map file inside, if it would be helpful:
http://ompldr.org/vNmE0Ng/attic.pk3

Maybe that's the way it should be. If yes, then ok, i can live with it, it takes quite a long time but it works, so it's not that big deal.
But i hope i'm doing something wrong and it may be faster Tongue
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

Auto-clipped/light-mapped models are a real hog when it comes to MergeMetaTriangles. Perhaps you use that allot?

yes, i'm using quite a lot of those green crates, so probably that's causing it.
i guess it's solved then...
Frogg on Instagram

things like crates are easy to clip manually (just place a roughtly teh same size wepclip brush over it, noone will notice)

(11-23-2010, 01:06 PM)tZork Wrote: just place a roughtly teh same size wepclip brush over it

that's how i'm doing it
Frogg on Instagram

Try misc_gamemodel instead of misc_model. The latter will embed the model into the BSP file, the former will make the engine load the model at runtime.

thanks, i'll try it today.

btw. What's the difference between crate01 and crate01_lod? Is crate01_lod just a bit "uglier" version of the original one? If so, maybe replacing some (all?) of them with this lod version would also make it easier to compile? And would result in better performance in game? I'm going to try it too...
Frogg on Instagram

(11-25-2010, 09:44 AM)kuniu the frogg Wrote: thanks, i'll try it today.

btw. What's the difference between crate01 and crate01_lod? Is crate01_lod just a bit "uglier" version of the original one? If so, maybe replacing some (all?) of them with this lod version would also make it easier to compile? And would result in better performance in game? I'm going to try it too...

This page explains what lod is Smile
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

to clarify, your NOT supposed to use the _lod ones directly. They are to be used for misc_gamemodel together with the main model. heres a snip from the _gamemodel description that may help:
Quote:loddistance1: distance after which to show the first LOD model replacement (default: 1000)
loddistance2: distance after which to show the second LOD model replacement (default: 2000)
lodmodel1: file name of the first LOD model replacement
lodmodel2: file name of the second LOD model replacement

following your advices i replaced all misc_models with misc_gamemodels (using crate01 model, but not LOD version, as i'm slowly becoming wiser Smile ). It dramatically decreased duration of MergeMetaTriangles while compiling (which is great), also .bsp size is way smaller (which is great too), but now i have another problem.
This time with loading those models in game:

[Image: bq7fn7zrp370lyu4x5bn_thumb.jpg]

as a result it looks like this:

[Image: aivvzehtkvf24v79w_thumb.jpg]
Frogg on Instagram

You need to remove the xonotic-maps.pk3dir prefix in your model file path.

wrong: xonotic-maps.pk3dir/models/blabla/bla.md3

correct: models/blabla/bla.md3

Yay! It works! Smile
Thank you SavageX.
Also thank you ThePWTULN and tZork for additional info.
it's officially solved now.
Frogg on Instagram

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Need old rifle model(solved) Kotangens 8 3,149 08-27-2020, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
Question [NEED HELP] How to create warpzones? (solved) Kotangens 10 4,626 08-19-2020, 07:05 AM
Question [NEED HELP] How to use textures for radiant(win version)? (solved) Kotangens 4 2,892 08-12-2020, 01:33 AM
Question [NEED HELP] can't build netradiant (SOLVED) bananovenc 7 4,418 12-25-2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: illwieckz
Sad [NEEDS INFO] Strange bug - my character is moving all the time ! Oncl'Tom 2 3,073 02-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Last Post: organic
  [NEED HELP] Mac OSX Crashing very often and randomly -MCSquare- 0 2,121 01-30-2016, 12:08 AM
Last Post: -MCSquare-
  [SOLVED] [Solved]How to install or runn Xonotic Kaddafi 10 10,395 10-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Halogene
  [NEEDS INFO] Very, very strange lags machine! 6 6,042 03-27-2015, 03:55 PM
Last Post: GoregeousGuy
  [SOLVED] Long waiting time when connecting to a server TheGoodGamer 3 5,224 10-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Last Post: TheGoodGamer
  [SOLVED] How to download all maps at the same time? koper 7 9,121 09-15-2013, 03:33 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe