Create an account

Poll: Share your opinion on my idea
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I love this idea, let's do it!
43.48%
10 43.48%
Partially brilliant, partially dumbass idea. We need to talk.
13.04%
3 13.04%
What?! Leave my cute red dot alone!
21.74%
5 21.74%
There is some dot right there? Maybe I need a new pair of glasses...
21.74%
5 21.74%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] The magical dot of the crosshair - let it be useful

Hello.

Now, the beta Xonotic has an option to add a center dot for crosshair design you like. It's red by default.

I'd like to suggest this dot to change colour depending on what you're aiming at:

white - nothing interesting
red - enemies
blue - friends
green - goodies!
yellow - interactive stuff like doors, jumppads, elevators etc.

This way it's colour would give user some info. The dot would not only assist in aiming but also deliver some information!
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

That dot is imho too small to give noticable information about anything. Also, I don't know if the engine supports this "onmouseover" stuff.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

hm... i'm not with you on this, dear unfa.
Crosshair has something visually sacred.
My brain could bug if you make it flashy!
Fat.bot.Slim

(12-07-2010, 03:02 AM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: hm... i'm not with you on this, dear unfa.
Crosshair has something visually sacred.
My brain could bug if you make it flashy!

Well.. the dot might be tiny, but it can be scaled up, also, this little dot in the center of the screen should be rather easy to read.

Rage Against The Washing Machine, if you wonder if this will bother your brain... let's place a little [X] checkbox in the menu to turn this feature on/off as wanted. So even if this gets done, you still can have your static dot and aim safely Smile

The always-really-needed feature to solve the problems of the always present group of people stating:

I-don't-care-as-long-as-I-can-disable-it
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

I don't remember where, but a while back someone was making a fuss about the feature where the crosshairs expand over the enemy. Maybe it was a minsta player. Anyway, I would fit into the I-would-try-it-but-I-don't-care-as-long-as-I-can-disable-it crowd.

Also I think the last two options would be hard to code (not sure as I don't code, but that's a guess). The blue/red for friendlies/enemies would be confusing it you were on red (every time you had your gun pointed at a enemy, it would turn color of teammate).

Smile

Yep, it might be confusing to some people but I think saw simiar systems is other games (UT'99) and it worked.

I also use a tiny dot for my crosshair (which, by the way, I think should be the default)

However, the idea of feedback in the crosshair region is used in a lot of games. There could be some sort of layer added around the crosshair, like an outer ring or a solid fill circle with 8% opacity, that changes color in response to whatever you are looking at. Of course, it would be something that could be enabled/disabled in player options.

In nexuiz I use the circle with the dot in the middle (black/white) because i can see it in both light and dark situations. I would just find the crosshair flashing colours annoying. Expanding/blurring the crosshair is good enough for me.

(12-07-2010, 01:06 PM)Dokujisan Wrote: I also use a tiny dot for my crosshair (which, by the way, I think should be the default)

However, the idea of feedback in the crosshair region is used in a lot of games. There could be some sort of layer added around the crosshair, like an outer ring or a solid fill circle with 8% opacity, that changes color in response to whatever you are looking at. Of course, it would be something that could be enabled/disabled in player options.

Good idea! To those who are bothered with the idea of having their crosshair dot itself change color, have some outer ring to give visual feedback!

Maybe for beta, but not for alpha (we are in feature freeze already)
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Holy crap! A feature freeze already? It's been less than a year since this fork began, daamn things are moving fast.

btw my signature > your signature j/k
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Crosshair outline s3m4s 0 1,972 01-22-2022, 02:30 PM
Last Post: s3m4s
  [SUGGESTION] adjust the position of the crosshair basaltdragon 9 8,921 07-17-2013, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] 3rd person view blocking crosshair when looking down basaltdragon 1 4,104 07-11-2013, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] some little useful features (for the "create" tab) _para 0 1,956 12-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Last Post: _para
  [SUGGESTION] Let's talk weapons! evilsoul 26 22,151 08-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Last Post: red525
  [SUGGESTION] Important: Fire from crosshair Beefeater 39 40,958 05-17-2010, 02:22 AM
Last Post: Beefeater