Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[SUGGESTION] rocket flying game mode

hi , a good friend gave me this idea (ty!)

umm basicaly its a mode that allows people who love/want to learn/fight with, etc
rocket flying!

also maybe other weapons could be used?

ild sat ctf would be best , but maybe in the style of race , or even a peace map...

and maybe mappers out there could make big maps for us ,and maybe set challenges for us to try fly to (massive gaps , etc)

so would it be possible to have this , er function in the game?
is it easy to do?

ild make a poll for this , but i has nfi how...

me plumber!

t

:^

Yes I noticed that rocket jumping isn't that easy with the current... settings. For quite some time I was promoting a weapon that would do little damage (at least to others) but have a big push, like the mortar with reduced damage for others but with even bigger push force.

If we'd implement a rocket launcher with bigger push force, even if it wouldn't do any damage at all to other players but yourself, I'd be totally for it. Rocket flying and especially rocket flying OTHER people is very much fun indeed Big Grin
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(12-09-2010, 10:37 AM)Halogene Wrote: For quite some time I was promoting a weapon that would do little damage (at least to others) but have a big push, like the mortar with reduced damage for others but with even bigger push force.
we could call it the laser

(12-09-2010, 10:42 AM)aurix Wrote: we could call it the laser
I don't mind what it's called, if it just is a pickup weapon that does a LOT of pushing Smile. The current laser is quite slow and weak in this respect and air control is quite effective. So if any such weapon would be designed it should have a LOT of push (also in order to fly long distances).
My Xonstats Profile

(12-09-2010, 10:46 AM)Halogene Wrote:
(12-09-2010, 10:42 AM)aurix Wrote: we could call it the laser
I don't mind what it's called, if it just is a pickup weapon that does a LOT of pushing Smile. The current laser is quite slow and weak in this respect and air control is quite effective. So if any such weapon would be designed it should have a LOT of push (also in order to fly long distances).
was a joke but anyway. Flying around all the time kinda makes strafing pointless and the game not as fun IMO. Rocket flying when you get the flag is also really unfair to the defenders. Theres a reason why in UT2004 you dropped the flag when you used the translocator.

Yeah, I did get the joke Wink Why does flying around make strafing pointless? Remember that you don't have to strafe to gain maximum speed except for when turning with current... settings. Apart from that rocket flying is different in that you can actually FLY. Which is per se a good reason to have it in Xonotic.

I see that it get's abused in CTF matches but then again everybody can do it. And if it for example does significantly more damage to flag carriers than to other players, then this issue can be countered. Also you can't stack health that much anymore.

Personally, I totally support the wish to have rocket flying enabled in some way.
My Xonstats Profile

yer , some has to screw the nex gun users up!

cant shoot?

f,,kin fly then!

But rocket flying is enabled! It's just not insane as it was in Nexuiz...

For instance, I can easily fly up to the enemy camping rifle on Newtonian Nightmare (space-ctf) by taking my own team's camping rifle jumppad, strafe turning 180 degrees around and rocketflying the rest with 3-4 rockets. And that's possible with only ~150 hp. Yes, it *SHOULD* hurt to do that, what if you're the flag carrier and just fly back to your own base like that whenever you have picked up the rocket launcher?

The problems with having rocket flying that is too strong are quite obvious, strafing (or "normal" movement) indeed becomes pointless because if you're not rocketflying like everyone else, you lose. The game is not about rocketflying. Tongue

As a mod, yes sure, go ahead and host a server with custom settings. Anyone can do this. At the expense of the server being marked as impure in the server list of course.
You only need to tweak a couple of cvars, I could imagine the following to be quite entertaining for a while:
Code:
g_weaponarena rocketlauncher
g_balance_selfdamage 0
g_balance_rocketlauncher_remote_delay 0
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

I think I wrote an essay on the problems of rocket flying/huge weapon force..and the problem's it caused with messing up the balance in the game.

Also, basically what Aurix said about UT2004.

As a mutator there's nothing wrong with the idea though, and chooksta suggested a MODE for this not just normal in the game, so this is fine.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

ya , but i also think that why stick to certian playing styles?

i think the more the better.

dont forget that after a while , you will get used to anything.

GAMEPLAYFREEDOM!

t

(12-09-2010, 05:02 PM)kojn^ Wrote: I think I wrote an essay on the problems of rocket flying/huge weapon force..and the problem's it caused with messing up the balance in the game.

Screenshot or it didn't happen. XoP

I think there's nothing that can't be countered by some tweaks like having bigger damage for one's self or making the push force not ridiculously high. Or by making it a separate weapon that maybe uses huge amounts of ammo or even special ammo.
My Xonstats Profile

Just wrote a nice reply and accidently deleted it.

Halogene, the reason why is because I don't want to see all the threads like nexuiz had, about balancing problems mainly for CTF, 5 second player caps..then we get threads back then nex is too strong in other game's but the only useful weapon to stop FCs rocket flying along with the machinegun, which started turning the CTF game's mainly into 3-4 weapon contests. I can imagine the next thing would be that the nexgun is now NOT strong enough to stop rocket flyer's if we had nexuiz style rocket flying because it has been balanced better then it was in nexuiz. Why try to incorporate multiple things around an issue, that's illogical, why not tweak what is causing problems to what is already in place, and that has been done. Xonotic should be and for me is trying to fix as many as these problems that we had in nexuiz, and so far everything feel's much better and less random elements, I don't want to have a game that is going to create these style thread's again and again, and trying to 'tweak' stuff around one aspect and failing, if I'm correct warsow suffered from similar problems in CTF.

I have wrote about this atleast twice before now, I have no objections to a game-mode with NEXUIZ STYLE rocket flying, it'd be cool yes, but it doesn't fit the current setup and/or weapon development that has been in 'development' now for months. A game-mode that has different weapon's or a push weapon that would work better when game's have rocket flying is fine.

As it is, the rocket jump strength is how frutiex described it, it's not too insane now.

For me this game is about fragging, I don't want to see a push weapon in normal gameplay..what good is it going to be just to push people around, because it's fun? Then put it into a game-mode where it fit's a different gameplay & weaponset, but having such a weapon in the default settings for me personally is pointless.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Thanks kojn for elaborating - I shouldn't have mentioned push weapons as they are kinda off topic (though I'd really really love to have them, it's a great way to irritate players and to force them off their tracks and thus enabling you to frag in another smart way with combos). SCNR

But this is indeed about rocket flying, I think if we'd increase the damage for flag carriers we'd effectively make rocket flying with the flag impossible or very hard. Either way it would be impossible to move INTO the base by rocket flying and then move OUT OF the base by rocket flying again.

I think the current weapon balance is very nice already, but using weapons for moving doesn't seem comparatively effective as in Nexuiz which I personally consider a disadvantage. I can live with how it is as of now, but you know, there's always something you're missing if you change things. :o)
My Xonstats Profile

various people Wrote:talk of making flag carrier weaker
People were already too chicken to take the flag in Nexuiz, because of the point deduction if you lost it. Making him weaker would only make that worse IMHO. If you want to go this route, make the rocket launcher do more self-damage to everyone.

Also some people seem to think that the Nex and MG are the only way to kill someone in the air--and while these remain effective, people are erred if the think these are the only ways to kill someone in the air. Rifle, shotgun spam, electro, even the crylink primary can work.

Too be honest I don't really mind someone who likes to rocket jump. I fear the guy who knows how to use his laser more.

If you watch chooksta's interview, you'll notice that he's most vulnerable (no offense intended) in the air. This is because in the air, they have less direction control, and that makes predicting where they're going easier--this in turn makes using rifle and Nex more affective.

Maybe an easier solution would be to make something like this
Code:
set g_balance_rocketlauncher_selfdmg_multiply 1.4
This would allow us to adjust the self-damage of each weapon uniquely as needed. In the rocket launcher's case, we'd adjust it so that you could only get one (or maybe two if you're stacked) rocket jumps in.

I didn't mean to go on a rage war (sorry if it sounded like one Blush), I just wanted to point out a few things and maybe a possible solution.

yer , true that with my vid , i wasnt always getting away with it , alot of aussie players have wised up to playing method,
so now days i have to work alot harder and smarter to get around this.

also im going to say , at risk of offending , that alot of people who dont like this style are the ones that can move/aim/combo extremely well , and so im going to say that they feel threatened by it..

OHSHI HERE COMES THE RAGE!

anyway ill still support the game , but i will find ways to be in the air , cos thats what i like :p

imo if i started doing what most people are doing , then ill be just one of them people

er....

wait wut?

oh look a little doggy with a puffy tail!

hehehhee weeeee come here doggy! weeeee!

(12-10-2010, 07:14 PM)chooksta Wrote: er....

wait wut?

oh look a little doggy with a puffy tail!

hehehhee weeeee come here doggy! weeeee!

Uhhhh... ooookay.

t

(12-09-2010, 10:46 AM)Halogene Wrote: The current laser is quite slow and weak in this respect and air control is quite effective. So if any such weapon would be designed it should have a LOT of push (also in order to fly long distances).

Not exactly what you're looking for, but "connect nexuiz.ufbteam.com", aim down, shoot secondary, wait 0.1 seconds, shoot primary ;)

(12-10-2010, 07:14 PM)chooksta Wrote: ...anyway ill still support the game , but i will find ways to be in the air , cos thats what i like...

I never meant to say that you shouldn't be in the air, I was trying to say that it should be possible to shoot people in the air (hence the weapons list). That way, if you rocketjump and cap, the other team only has themselves to blame.

I didn't mean to offend and am not offended. Wink

hehehe , i was talkin to everyone nowego4 , you made points that i agreed with

again ill say the awesome l33t players that have an awesome time on the ground , are maybe a bit pissed off that some of us (me) has a way to bypass them.
maybe they cant fly? , idk

at the end of the day , im going for ya flag , if i dont have to stop to get you out of my way , then i wont :p

fact is there are limited playing styles for this game , so shutting down flying means that the people who has a certian general playing style, dont need to change.

fair enuf though , like me being used to doing my game style , one day we all have to relook at it and make sum changes.

but using the excuse that rl flying is unfair hold no weight to me , because i can say the same thing to others , with their 58 button mouses , diamond embossed mouse mats, that can do muti combos in bind form , programmed in some kinda nerd language. (that can even rub ya genitals , and get ya a drink at the same button push)

so stick that in ya pipe and smoke it :p

t

ohhhh , no more replys!

:o

guess they did smoke sumthink....

rofl

t

Rocket just needs to jump to times higher in ctf.

Rocketflying ftw!

if only i recorded my super quick speed cap on across an ocean :/

but yes , LIKE THAT! (just faster , wasnt very quick them :p )

t

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Sumo game mode BuddyFriendGuy 2 1,978 02-24-2023, 02:32 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Some "modern" Suggestions (Wipeout Mode, Electro Color) NoClue 1 1,986 10-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Mario
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] A NEW GAME MODE - HIDE AND SEEK! Kotangens 5 3,667 07-30-2020, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [SUGGESTION] Destroyable Health mode. Magician 11 7,715 03-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Last Post: martin-t
  [SUGGESTION] Relic Duels (game mode) munyul 5 4,832 02-11-2018, 10:59 AM
Last Post: martin-t
  [SUGGESTION] Borderless (Fullscreen) Windowed Mode Iokast 0 3,218 07-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Iokast
  [SUGGESTION] Rocket Launcher model idea Beagle 5 6,057 05-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
  [SUGGESTION] Zombie mode verretor 4 5,233 09-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] CTF/FT hybrid game mode end user 9 11,403 08-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [SUGGESTION] Portal-like/Puzzle/Gauntlet game mode? Re.Boot 10 13,076 06-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo