Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Nex idea

Hello,

While Xonotic is more awesome every day, current Nex mechanism IMHO (!!!) sucks. I realized that's it's OK to just hold secondary fire (because the red circle regenerates faster). So it feels like when you must quickly tap button in many stupid Xbox games.

Instead I think this would be better:

Nex would have only once circle (nearly identical to current green circle).

Primary fire:
- Weak shot (but not too weak) - takes 4 (?) ammo
Secondary fire:
- When holding, power of shot increases (progress on circle increases) and it takes more ammo on each 'stage' (part of circle). On some stage (2/3 of circle?) no more power/ammo is gained/drained but progress still increases. Once you fill whole circle, Nex fails (short circuit happens or something) and deals you some damage. So Nex will shoot when you release secondary fire.

So maximum time you can have charged Nex on maximum power would be limited (8 seconds?). If you don't find enemy you must either shoot and throw away more ammo or risk and possibly be punished for it. Also as progress increases Nex could make louder "sound of charge" (bzzzzz), so you'll have the chance to evade shot before enemy sees you.

This is almost identical to Gauss Gun from Half-Life 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4uO0Xrd9Ys

I've not made exact numbers yet. I just want to hear what others think. IMHO in Nexuiz (2.5.2), Nex is a bit OP. It's because you can switch gun really fast (something I like very much!). So I use Nex most of time (even if I have RL, mortar, ...) because it's better than all other weapons at all ranges and if you miss you switch to RL, fire shot, switch to Nex and you can try again.

This idea could preserve its power-ness but also add some disadvantages.

Interesting idea. I could see it working. Smile

Perhaps you could set up a poll on this thread (if you can)
to see how everyone else like this idea?

(12-15-2010, 07:12 PM)Friskydingo Wrote: Interesting idea. I could see it working. Smile

Perhaps you could set up a poll on this thread (if you can)
to see how everyone else like this idea?

I joined today so I guess I can't.

Play with the .cfg files in xonotic>data>xonotic-data.pk3dir
Maybe you could find some balance close to what you want.

(12-15-2010, 07:53 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Play with the .cfg files in xonotic>data>xonotic-data.pk3dir
Maybe you could find some balance close to what you want.

I haven't dived into Nexuiz/Xonotic configs/source yet (I don't even know what is cvar Tongue) so It'll take me some time before I come up with something. But I'll definitely take a look during Christmas.
Ops. Sorry, just realized that incomplete inner circle stop health regeneration. Still I think my idea is better Tongue.

(12-15-2010, 06:51 PM)shogun_assassin Wrote: IMHO in Nexuiz (2.5.2), Nex is a bit OP. It's because you can switch gun really fast (something I like very much!). So I use Nex most of time (even if I have RL, mortar, ...) because it's better than all other weapons at all ranges and if you miss you switch to RL, fire shot, switch to Nex and you can try again.

This is exactly what the current charge idea is supposed to nerf a bit (combo with the nex) since it clearly was the most overpowered weapon when used in combos.
Sure, you can still charge up a shot, shoot, switch weapon, shoot, but if you switch back you'll have to charge it up again for another powerful shot. Unlike before when you could almost instantly get the 100 damage, switch to another weapon (e.g. RL), get another 100 dmg and switch back all in less than a second probably. 200 damage per second? In a weapon "balance"? It's no longer a balance then Tongue
That's all without making the weapon too different.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Nex is fine in it's current form, would prefer no tinkering unless it was absolutely neccesary.This is sort of off topic, but I would like to see some of the other weapon's value's not changed so much too as there's no need to constantly keep changing values only if something is quite obviously overpowered/random a.k.a nexuiz shotgun and nexgun.

As it stands at the moment, I think we have a good setup with the current nex and don't see any major needs to change it.

P.S Frutiex, why did you lower some of the dmg values of other weapons? Sad Sniper headshot damage was nice but now it's quite low compared to from before??
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

I like the current Nex/Xon behaviour. Same for Crylink. I'am a bit disapointed from current Laser and Mortar (I know Mortar was much quicker that RL but that was a part of the balance).

shogun_assassin - I think your idea is very similiar tio what we have now. Only you want the Nex to overload at some point and shock the user with electricity or smth?

Well, I think we migth give it a try but I don't know if that woudn't be too much for Nex/Xon. But it might really balance the gameplay making those monks of Nex(Xon) more curious and not so confident Wink
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Is adding a Quake-like laser to the main game a good idea? cushinga 2 1,076 03-28-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  [SUGGESTION] Hagar Idea VertX 4 4,258 01-02-2016, 07:02 AM
Last Post: [*Mr.Chri$*]
  [SUGGESTION] Rocket Launcher model idea Beagle 5 6,057 05-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
  [SUGGESTION] Overkill mod: Nex balance issues unfa 12 12,405 06-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Last Post: tZork
  [SUGGESTION] random hagar idea frostwyrm333 7 7,540 02-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Last Post: asyyy
Smile [SUGGESTION] Idea: Player-centric Xonotic lamefun 16 19,180 12-18-2013, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Information [SUGGESTION] Idea: Forum cleanup? Samual 14 18,476 10-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [SUGGESTION] A vehicle Tank Idea aa 13 11,933 08-01-2013, 06:20 AM
Last Post: satuim
Exclamation [SUGGESTION] Idea: The Great Petitions lamefun 2 4,469 07-12-2013, 05:40 AM
Last Post: lamefun
  [SUGGESTION] Idea: Organize the qc gamecode as a script bundle, and auto-compile it at startup MirceaKitsune 9 10,421 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Samual