Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[SUGGESTION] Multiple Announcers for Xonotic

So, I think it would be neat if there were an option in the game menu to choose between different announcers (which could be created as add-on .pk3 files as well, so after the game is officially released, users can create their own announcer packs). It's a fairly small touch, but that's what I like most about open source software--all the little things that you can tweak to make it that much cooler for your tastes.

I think the current announcer is fine, but I seriously do know some people that are pretty particular about their game announcers sounding a certain way Tongue

Some want a female announcer voice, others want a deep and boomy male voice, others want a robotic voice, etc.

Any chance something like this could make it to the game?
[Image: myvFI.png]

+1 for this. I would love to have my sexy female announcer.
[Image: jngsiggy.png]

Code for this already exists. Get some voice actors to do some work and it's good to go, adding a menu option shouldn't be too difficult
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

(12-19-2010, 03:12 AM)FruitieX Wrote: Code for this already exists. Get some voice actors to do some work and it's good to go, adding a menu option shouldn't be too difficult

Who did the voice for around ~2.0 Nexuiz? Smile

"Hello everyone, Antibody here. Welcome in Xonotic"
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

Can do a "Teen nerd" voice, and possibly many others.

(12-19-2010, 09:04 AM)kuniu the frogg Wrote: "Hello everyone, Antibody here. Welcome in Xonotic"

That would be kind of unique, if not even AWESOME if we'd have recordings of well-known forum members/active players saying hi or something when you fire up the game. I like this idea.

Doesn't need to be all announcements, only the welcome message.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

It would be nice to have some more trash-talk between the characters. Have somebody spit out a few cheesy lines such as: "Hahahaha!!! lead makes you dead!!!" or even "BOOM! Headshot!", or something stupid like "I aint cleanin' that up!" after taking an opponent down. I would try a few lines, if my voice wasn't so embarrassing.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Halogene Wrote:That would be kind of unique, if not even AWESOME if we'd have recordings of well-known forum members/active players saying hi or something when you fire up the game. I like this idea.
^
Great idea! And if it was as simple as making a pk3, I might even be inclined to make a Trent from Punchy sound pack Big Grin
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

I just got a new mike, might try this.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Ok, hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by resurrecting a two-week-old thread, but I've been busy up until now and didn't have time to check back up on it.

(12-19-2010, 03:12 AM)FruitieX Wrote: Code for this already exists. Get some voice actors to do some work and it's good to go, adding a menu option shouldn't be too difficult

Cool! Didn't know it would be quite that easy Smile

I like the voice ideas you guys came up with, too, but the real question is: what lines need to be recorded? If we have a solid list to work with, coming up with usable voice banks would be a snap.

Here's what I discovered just from looking at the sounds from the Xonotic '/sound/announcer/default' directory. If for some reason other lines are hidden elsewhere, please make mention of it so we can have a complete list.

Sound Event//Current Announcer Actual//Filename
~3 Kills in a row (Triple Kill) [03kills.ogg]
~5 Kills in a row (Rage) [05kills.ogg]
~10 Kills in a row (Massacre) [10kills.ogg]
~15 Kills in a row (Mayhem) [15kills.ogg]
~20 Kills in a row (Berserker) [20kills.ogg]
~25 Kills in a row (Carnage) [25kills.ogg]
~30 Kills in a row (Armageddon) [30kills.ogg]
~1 Kill to win (1 Frag Left) [1fragleft.ogg]
~2 Kills to win (2 Frags Left) [2fragsleft.ogg]
~3 Kills to win (3 Frags Left) [3fragsleft.ogg]
~1 Minute left in the game (1 Minute Remains) [1minuteremains.ogg]
~5 Minutes left in the game (5 Minutes Remain) [5minutesremain.ogg]
~Air shot (Air shot) [airshot.ogg]
~Amazing (Amazing) [amazing.ogg]
~Awesome (Awesome) [awesome.ogg]
~Begin game (Begin) [begin.ogg]
~Begin game 2 (Prepare for battle) [prepareforbattle.ogg]
~Blue team takes the lead (Blue team takes the lead) [blueteamtakeslead.ogg]
~Red team takes the lead (Red team takes the lead) [redteamtakeslead.ogg]
~Bot-like (Bot-like) [botlike.ogg]
~Electro-bitch (Awesome) [electrobitch.ogg]
~Headshot (Headshot) [headshot.ogg]
~Impressive (Impressive) [impressive.ogg]
~Last-second save (Last-second save) [lastsecond.ogg]
~Last-second save 2 (Narrowly averted) [narrowly.ogg]
~Lead gained (You have gained the lead) [leadgained.ogg]
~Lead lost (You have lost the lead) [leadlost.ogg]
~Lead tied (Tied for leader) [leadtied.ogg]
~Terminated (Terminated) [terminated.ogg]
~Time out (Time out called) [timeoutcalled.ogg]
~Vote accepted (Vote Succeeded) [voteaccept.wav]
~Vote called (Vote now) [votecall.wav]
~Vote rejected (Vote failed) [votefail.wav]
~Yoda (Amazing) [yoda.ogg]
~10 (Countdown) [10.ogg]
~9 (Countdown) [9.ogg]
~8 (Countdown) [8.ogg]
~7 (Countdown) [7.ogg]
~6 (Countdown) [6.ogg]
~5 (Countdown) [5.ogg]
~4 (Countdown) [4.ogg]
~3 (Countdown) [3.ogg]
~2 (Countdown) [2.ogg]
~1 (Countdown) [1.ogg]

From there is where I'm uncertain. We put the custom recordings into another sub-folder of 'announcer', obviously, but then what?

(01-08-2011, 04:10 PM)LukeLC Wrote: From there is where I'm uncertain. We put the custom recordings into another sub-folder of 'announcer', obviously, but then what?

IIRC set cl_announcer to the name of the new folder, e.g. for announcer/robotic :
Code:
cl_announcer robotic
to switch to that announcer.
(01-05-2011, 07:17 PM)naryl Wrote: > Ubuntu is an ancient African word that means "cant configure debian"

Actually it's for "I can't install Gentoo".

(01-08-2011, 05:21 PM)BurningPi Wrote:
(01-08-2011, 04:10 PM)LukeLC Wrote: From there is where I'm uncertain. We put the custom recordings into another sub-folder of 'announcer', obviously, but then what?

IIRC set cl_announcer to the name of the new folder, e.g. for announcer/robotic :
Code:
cl_announcer robotic
to switch to that announcer.

Ah, interesting! Thanks! I'm going to give that a try Smile

EDIT: Yep, that command worked like a charm! Big Grin

Looks like we just need some good sound banks and a place in the menu for the announcer, then!

Is there a video tutorial on this? I want to make a Halo announcer for me and my friends, I'm new to modding Xonotic (somewhat) and would like a video to explain it better. Thanks in advance!
minstanex erebus Angel

(12-22-2018, 06:56 AM)Lyberta Wrote: Uhh, just chop the audio files and put those with correct names?

Is it possible to make a 06kills.ogg file? so when I get 6 kills in a row it says something? or can it only be those specific ones?
minstanex erebus Angel

You can't extend the killing spree announcer, without some changes to the source code.
[Image: 30412.jpg]

Honestly before adding more Announcers i'd prefer more Voice-Taunts like in classic UT. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Multiple frag messages unfa 8 8,596 05-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Last Post: ThePWTULN
Brick [SUGGESTION] Multiple and/or alternative packages unfa 4 4,170 05-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Last Post: unfa