Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collecting opinions about good competetive Duel-Map

Assault Rifle = MG or what?.. *confused*

Assault Rifle is the thing which fires bulets in automatic mode when pressing prime-fire and bursts in secondary-fire (think it's binded on "3" by default), but I don't know if it will be used often since it seems to lack a bit of firepower.

I now got down a good sketch of the map-layout. It contains colored height-tiers and the position of the major items (Body Armor, Chest Armor, Helmets and Mega Health). However I don't have a scaner here (I'm on holidays in Swizerland and don't have my normal rig here) so the picture could be a little "messy". So here are the Explanations:

The Map name is: "Old Factory" or "DM_1on1-Factory"

Architecture:

There are only 3 tiers left (I've decided to erase one tier cuz it did not serve any real function).
Black = Walls
Light blue = Tier 3
Medium blue = Tier 2
Dark Blue = Tier 1
Purple = Jumppad (there are 3)
Boxes with black lines in the middle of them are stairs.

Items:

Red Square = Body Armor (100AP)
Yellow Square = Chest Armor (50AP)
Green Square = Helmet (25AP)
Violet Square = Mega Health (100HP)

What do you guys think about this layout?

Peace

By the way just to add, someone made a more balanced version of final_rage before vbraun I think it was francotirador with the help of bundy and it changed items/weapons about to fix the issues you mentioned, would probably work well in Xonotic Smile
Map layout looks really good, I would still include a nex though really I would.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Yes the weapon on 3 is the Machine Gun.

This looks really interesting. I'm not sure about the Nex there, maybe needs to be tested.
I guess you will place 5 HP boxes! Smile

The sketch only contains the major items right now, ofcourse there will be weapons and smaller Items like Shards and Health-Crosses.

Looks pretty big actually! Put a nex on it, you have too, it's like LAW! Smile Wink

Looking forward to seeing this.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(12-28-2010, 11:33 PM)kojn^ Wrote: But for sure, we need some more duel maps, and I need to get back into activity and learning maps Smile
Damn ! ^^

I like this topic. I'm glad to see people interested by 1on1 in Xonotic.

I don't understand why you say that a space map cannot be a 1on1 map. Solyent is my fav', and a lot of 1on1 players like it.

The nex is not essential, but strongly recommended ^^

The layout is promising. Xonotic need competitive duel maps.
Looking forward your work.
Awesome, did Qz show you that ?
Nexuiz : I Reach the top5 of the ladder (even top3 I guess). Top1 French for quite some time (when active) of ladder. Top5 of some tournaments (if I remember well)

Because Space adds randomness to the game and randomess is the last thing you want to have in competetive duel.
It's ok if there is a natural source of damage in the map but it should not kill a player instantly like space does also it should not reward the player who landed the lucky grenade/rocket whatever to push the other over the edge with a free kill, like it does in Xonotic/Nexuiz. The time has shown that space-maps never were accepted as good duel maps in any FPS.

Hey WTFProof!
Your layout looks kinda solid, although i can't really imagine the whole map when looking at it (but that has always been my problem with 2D sketches of maps Wink)
Keep in mind that the different floors can cross each other at different heights which can support your layout in being a little bit smaller, while also providing the possiblity for some additional vertical gameplay moments. The hallway on the bottom left for example seems too long imo.
I'd suggest to build a rough layout in NetRadiant first and while building it you'll get some more ideas to improve the layout anyways. Then you can also post some 3d shots of the layout.
Feel free to release an early alpha as well!

edit: wviperw's competitive design guide is also always a good read: http://www.goodstuffmaynard.com/portfoli...r/cdg.html (i'm coming back to it at least twice a year)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  is there a good how to for skyboxes ? Kamakazi 4 6,271 04-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Kamakazi
  why cod4 looks so good hutty 23 18,024 06-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Blender - Any GOOD md3 exporters for 2.55? Minkovsky 3 6,166 02-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Last Post: nowego4
Photo DM Layout - is it good? Minkovsky 11 10,603 10-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  Are you good wit da photoshops? MintOX 15 14,049 06-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Last Post: MintOX