Create an account

Poll: Xonotic gameplay should be changed so that...
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
the Nex is more like Nexuiz and is ubiquitous
16.00%
4 16.00%
movement is more like Nexuiz
12.00%
3 12.00%
the Nex and Movement should be more like Nexuiz
12.00%
3 12.00%
things are fine as they are
48.00%
12 48.00%
other
12.00%
3 12.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[SUGGESTION] @Moo I think: Xonotic feedback

Moo has been on Nexuiz a lot asking for people to try Xonotic and give feedback.
At his suggestion I wanted to bring up the two main things that all the nexuiz players/veterans seem to say about Xonotic.
  • What happened to the Nex?
  • What happened to movement?

Everyone misses the Nex. Lots of maps don't even have one, and even when it is there it's not the same nex everyone knows and loves.

Yes, the physics in Xonotic are more realistic, but the laser feels limp and dull compared to Nexuiz and the movement feels 'slidy-er' and doesn't have as much strafe effect.

These two things (I think) are turning off some Nexuiz veterans to Xonotic even though in pretty much every other way Xonotic is making clear improvements.

I also think they might be easily addressed because they're ultimately issues that have to do with balance and gameplay, not bugs of functionality.

Moo was suggesting there really needs to be a lot more play testing be a larger group of people to iron out this stuff.

I think movement could be tweaked a little to make it more Nexuiz-like without causing big problems and creating a huge learning curve.

Likewise, I think there might be some sort of compromise possible with nex: have one that behaves like the classic nex, but make it part of a 'pro' game mode or dependent on a map difficulty setting.

In general I think people are excited with how Xonotic seems to be coming along, but they feel sad that it's missing their favorite parts of Nexuiz.

*Shrugs* I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong. But it was suggested I post. And I think I'm hearing a lot of this sort of things on HOCTF.
I am --|--Rapier-- .
I am SloggerKhan .

Well, in my opinion the movement was improved ;-) For me it is much easier to gain speed.
However I do not like that you have to charge the nex to get the old strength back. It jsut takes too much time, you only can do it before you see the enemy, in combat it takes too long :-(

If you need people for testing, maybe I could do a bit. Of course I am not always available, but if you talk to me here or ingame I will see what I can do.

/N1mbus
LoverTaleb

There are a couple of good reasons for why we ended up as we did concerning both of these questions.

First off, the Nex was clearly overpowered. It stood out as a clear winner in both numbers of weapon stats, and strongest feeling in competitive games. Now we could go two ways: have weapons of different "power classes", where you have weaker weapons and stronger superweapons, or we could try to balance them all out. We went for the latter.

The Nex was problematic in several ways due to it's nature: it's powerful at both close and long range combat, deals lots of damage in only a single server frame (short time), it's a point and click weapon in every situation. Why even use another weapon if you have a weapon like this, that's also very very powerful?

Over the years we've seen PC gaming hardware become only better, take for instance the mouse: we've gone from those old ball-mice to all new insanely accurate 5600 dpi laser mice. It made sense to have a very powerful railgun for instance in Quake 3, the hardware wasn't as leet as it's now: it was harder to hit players. This "tradition" of a very powerful railgun has stuck for a long time since, only now is it really obvious that it's indeed overpowered with the better gear we've got.

In Nexuiz (at least in the competitive games I've witnessed) you'd have three or four weapons that were important, the rest were just useless. These were mainly: Nex, Mortar, Rocket Launcher. To make things even more effective, the player would combo between these, to almost fully escape the wait caused by reload time. Makes for a very effective combo, huh? A weapon that deals 100 damage, damages the opponent instantly and switches away to another, ready-to-fire-weapon successfully in less than 0.4 seconds, even though it's reload time is 1 second? Comboing between the Nex/Mortar, Nex/RL proved to be quite efficient regarding the total damage per second you'd achieve. Too efficient.

To nerf the Nex in combos, we first tried experimenting with the switch time of the Nex, that way you'd be stuck with the weapon for an extra 0.4 seconds after firing. This is afaik how Quake 3 does it too. I was okay with that, but many (thankfully Smile) protested, and another solution had to be found. Next we tried out an idea that the faster you'd go, the more damage the Nex would do. This would mean the combos had to be made at a fast speed to be useful, and then you would have a hard time maintaining your combo for a long time: you would already have traveled too far for your mortar/RL to be very useful. Nope, this wasn't liked either. Finally we settled for the charge idea, which IMHO is the best solution for this problem.

With the charge you can get a fast rate of fire from the Nex, but each shot will be weaker. Or alternatively you can spend a little more time before the shot by charging it up, then it'll be powerful again, but have a slower rate of fire. On the other hand, you can't just keep charging shot after shot, you'll eventually run out of charge for a while. This is good for combating campers, and forces you to think about your strategy a bit instead of just rushing into a fight with the Nex only.

The best thing with the charge feature is that it'll deplete and reload after each shot. BUT! Only while actually holding the Nex! This means that if you shoot, switch away to another weapon, shoot other weapon, switch back to Nex, then the Nex won't be very charged up at all, you'll have to wait a little bit to get another powerful shot; it's not even close to as overpowered in combos anymore as it used to be!

Movement!

Nexuiz movement has been a topic discussed quite a lot. And it has changed quite a lot too, many versions used quite unique settings. But they all had some issues.

First of all, I would say that the Nexuiz physics can be described as more "realistic" than the Xonotic ones. Why? For one thing: it didn't matter which directional keys you pressed, they would affect your movement all in the identical (iirc, or at least very similar) ways. In the Xonotic physics it actually matters which keys you press. Looking forward and holding W is not the same thing as looking 90 degrees to the right and holding A, unlike in the Nexuiz physics. The former will give you much more acceleration past a certain limit, the latter barely any acceleration at all. This allows for a trick called "strafe turning", which is a much more consistent and controlled way of turning than anything you could get in the Nexuiz physics, once you have gotten used to it.

And what you described about the physics being "slidy-er", actually many complained about this in the Nexuiz physics. If you turned with the strafe key in the Nexuiz physics, you would only keep "sliding" forward, your turning got lagged behind quite a lot so you would not see properly where you are going. And in general the Nexuiz physics were pretty strange and unpredictable: strafejumping (forward+strafe) was possible and helpful to some extent, but only up to a certain speed and in a very narrow angle. After that this trick would only slow you down. Getting the right angles for turning was quite strange as well, and not nearly as "snappy" as it is now with the Xonotic physics. I personally feel much more in control over the player with the Xonotic physics, and I've played both physics-styles (Nexuiz versus CPMA-style turning) roughly as much by now.

The biggest concern that got physics work going though was the possibility of getting rid of a cheat, the strafebot. As the Nexuiz physics always had a "perfect angle" you would have to hit to get the most acceleration, someone could write a hack that calculates and uses this angle to accomplish just that. In Xonotic such a bot would not really play any better than a human being, since you already get the absolute maximum acceleration by the following simple task: holding forward and jump. To turn, you let go the forward key, and hit either strafe keys and move the mouse in the same direction. Very very simple!

Watch this physics tutorial for a better, more in-depth explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SZgyP-0C0Q
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Nice post! Smile I fully agree with it. I start to love the Crylink, which I found useless in Nexuiz. RL+Crylink is a very good combo in close hallways/rooms! Also its super fun to slap someone with the Shotgun. Tongue

I entirely agree with FruitieX here, just would want to note two things:

FruitieX Wrote:#1 Next we tried out an idea that the faster you'd go, the more damage the Nex would do. This would mean the combos had to be made at a fast speed to be useful, and then you would have a hard time maintaining your combo for a long time: you would already have traveled too far for your mortar/RL to be very useful. Nope, this wasn't liked either. Finally we settled for the charge idea, which IMHO is the best solution for this problem.
Actually there was an intermediary step which was "charge based on movement." This in my opinion is best for gameplay because it made it so campers really weren't very good at all but good players could still use the gun in a way which isn't overpowered but without adding a secondary which is rather useless. iirc tZork was one of the only people who opposed velocity based charge by default (Rather, he opposed the very concept and not just the implementation), and this is the main reason we switched to a secondary based charge method. Although there is a good point behind it -- it's fairly difficult to understand where the charge comes from at first when it's done with velocity.

Still I personally would much rather have velocity based charge than secondary based charge as it promotes movement and takes more skill to acquire a charge in a battle.

FruitieX Wrote:The best thing with the charge feature is that it'll deplete and reload after each shot. BUT! Only while actually holding the Nex! This means that if you shoot, switch away to another weapon, shoot other weapon, switch back to Nex, then the Nex won't be very charged up at all, you'll have to wait a little bit to get another powerful shot; it's not even close to as overpowered in combos anymore as it used to be!
But this works in reverse too Tongue You can charge it all the way up and switch away and you won't lose any charge during that period. So - Charge, switch, -other weapons-, switch back, POW ALL 90 DAMAGE RIGHT IN THE KISSER. I frequently just charge the nex while i'm not in battle and switch away until the weapon is needed, then instantly pull it out and get the full power of the shot. (No pun intended)

(12-31-2010, 10:24 PM)Samual Wrote: it's fairly difficult to understand where the charge comes from at first when it's done with velocity.

Not if you got people to think of it as a Lance.

In fact it would be the first simulation of a lance weapon perhaps in the history of gaming. Your velocity relative to the target determines the damage.

Even if the Nex isn't a good application for this, it is still a great and actually very straightforward concept. Maybe the laser secondary could have a velocity based lance melee attack? A movement based attack in a movement focused game, it should fit perfectly.
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

(12-31-2010, 10:24 PM)Samual Wrote: But this works in reverse too Tongue You can charge it all the way up and switch away and you won't lose any charge during that period. So - Charge, switch, -other weapons-, switch back, POW ALL 90 DAMAGE RIGHT IN THE KISSER. I frequently just charge the nex while i'm not in battle and switch away until the weapon is needed, then instantly pull it out and get the full power of the shot. (No pun intended)
That's perfectly ok, you'll only get that one powerful shot into your combo, as opposed to every shot until your ammo runs out Tongue
Edit: Also, the charge rots even when you've switched away to another weapon...

I think you guys have a good explanation for development as far as the nex goes, at least if you're coming at it from the perspective of wanting people to use all the weapons somewhat and having them balanced. Personally, I don't think the nex charge thing is so bad (providing the charge time is not excessive) as the fact that tons of maps don't even seem to have a nex.

Actually, nex tangent. I don't really get how the rings showing nex charge work. What does the inner red ring mean? I get that the gun is fully charged when the blue ring is all the way around. And so far as I can tell, it does lose charge if you switch away from it or don't hold the charge manually.

That said, lots of people were perfectly happy with rocket/mortar/laser/shotgun/nex being the only weapons that mattered. I think many of the HOCTF type players would probably be happy with nexuiz if those were the only weapons in the game, whereas I think there's a taste for having more weapons that balance well among devs.

(Weapons tangent: I do think the new crylink is pretty cool, btw, whoever mentioned it. The new electro is kinda nifty, main issue with it is that I can never tell where the tip of its beam stops. New hagar seems easier to handle than the old one. The camping rifle alt fire that sounds silenced, what does it do? The idea of having a laser alt 'velocity lance' alt that converts your velocity into a player surrounding momentum imparting force-field attack seems cool to me. You could use your guy sort of like a giant billiard ball.)

So far as movement, I'll have to play xonotic some more and see how it goes. I think probably people can adjust to the movement but will still dislike the how much deader the laser is (which I'll admit makes sense from a perspective of there actually being a standard constant gravity).

Another tangent:
BTW, xonotic still has jetpacks as an option, no? I should really spend some time learning the Xonotic code base. I'd kind of like to try experimenting with multi-modal jetpacks and gravity mutators.
I am --|--Rapier-- .
I am SloggerKhan .

The laser seems to be fine by me.

As for the nex - I also dislike the charging feature, especially in its current implementation that is just time based and not based on cells. There simply seems to be no reason to NOT hold secondary all the time while using the Nex! But if that is the case, why require a button press? Make it charge at full rate always when the gun is held, no matter if the button is pressed or not!

And yes, jetpack is still there.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Charging the nex should use up cells, and it should use more for a charged shot than a not charged shot, but only like 6 or 7. Is what i figure. ODVIUOSLI
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

Yay! Another thread about balance! XD
4m038105 - Be the change.

+1 to FruitieX again.

I'll admit that when I first started playing Xonotic (from GIT), I didn't like it much. This was probably due to the underpowered laser, which has been fixed since then (my definition of "powerful enough" is to be able to laser jump from base of dance to main level). But now I wouldn't go back to Nexuiz for the world.

I don't know what's so hard to understand about (any) of the Nex charging systems. I caught on to them all as they came along, maybe I'm special Tongue I really don't care which system we get (actually I prefer the current, but either would be fine) just not the old one!

My complaint about Nexuiz movement is exactly what Xonotic doesn't have: Stop and go physics. Bunnyhopping is now much more effective, I like it better all round.
Big Grin

(01-01-2011, 12:14 AM)Slogger Wrote: as the fact that tons of maps don't even seem to have a nex.

To be honest, many of the Sniper Rifles on the current official maps should be replaced by Nexes. The Sniper Rifle should ONLY be used in _HUGE_, _OPEN_ outdoor areas, such as the towers on Facing Worlds, on Greatwall, on the platform where it currently is on Space Elevator. The outside area on Red Planet is not big enough for the Sniper if you ask me, and on Dance the center part is too narrow. And the Nex would be much more suitable on both maps, as there are no good spots to "camp" in.
(01-01-2011, 12:14 AM)Slogger Wrote: Actually, nex tangent. I don't really get how the rings showing nex charge work. What does the inner red ring mean? I get that the gun is fully charged when the blue ring is all the way around. And so far as I can tell, it does lose charge if you switch away from it or don't hold the charge manually.

The outer ring shows how charged up your shot will be, just as you said. Inner ring shows how much you still can charge, try depleting it by holding secondary and you'll see.
(01-01-2011, 12:14 AM)Slogger Wrote: The new electro is kinda nifty, main issue with it is that I can never tell where the tip of its beam stops.

You'll quickly get used to it. As you get used to a map you'll also know which areas you can reach from your current spot.
(01-01-2011, 05:57 AM)divVerent Wrote: As for the nex - I also dislike the charging feature, especially in its current implementation that is just time based and not based on cells. There simply seems to be no reason to NOT hold secondary all the time while using the Nex! But if that is the case, why require a button press? Make it charge at full rate always when the gun is held, no matter if the button is pressed or not!

As I just replied in another thread: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...5#pid19015 we should perhaps experiment with this a bit. Possibly make the inner ring deplete faster? Or just make it use ammo again instead of this "charge pool" thing (tZork didn't like this iirc). For the record, you DO deplete your charge pool if you only hold the secondary, you do have to think about some strategy and possible opponents behind a corner so you can charge the Nex before entering combat. If we do however make the Nex use up ammo when charging, I suggest we also make the shot use up less ammo (e.g. 3 ammo from shot, 2 ammo from charging up the remaining 50% after base charge, thus more ammo is used if you only keep the button held for a faster charge before reaching the first 50% base charge)

Red Planet could use a Nex instead (as FruitieX said), but I think Dance needs the Rifle. You can take out people just emerging from their base into the hall from your end of the hall, and you can reach out and touch people over the whole dance floor.

Also I think some people don't like the Rifle because it takes more skill to use.
• It's not hitscan, so you have to lead a bit if they're moving fast
• Headshot = more damage than Nex (usually), bodyshot = less damage than Nex (usually). Hence more skill = deadlier.
• You have to time clip reloads

Just my humble opinion Wink I like Rifle better than Nex.

(01-01-2011, 11:57 AM)nowego4 Wrote: • Headshot = more damage than Nex (usually)
Always. Big Grin

(01-01-2011, 11:57 AM)nowego4 Wrote: bodyshot = less damage than Nex (usually)
Almost always. Except if you combo really, really fast.

(01-01-2011, 05:57 AM)divVerent Wrote: The laser seems to be fine by me.

As for the nex - I also dislike the charging feature, especially in its current implementation that is just time based and not based on cells. There simply seems to be no reason to NOT hold secondary all the time while using the Nex! But if that is the case, why require a button press? Make it charge at full rate always when the gun is held, no matter if the button is pressed or not!

And yes, jetpack is still there.
that's exactly what I meant.
I do not like the new Nexgun. Anyway, for me the best Nexgun was the one of the 1.7.2 version... But this charging thing does absolutely nothing now. For me, the best way to keep that charging thing is to let Mouse2 for zooming and make an automatic load.

I have a lot to say on the weapons, but it's only laments of an old Nexuiz player who lost his bearings ^^
what I feel :
- Nexgun : too weak... like every updates since 4 years Smile. read above
- RL : too weak, too slow, too small radius
- Mortar : too weak, strange aim, the grenade is lunched above the crosshair...
- electro : secondary is not very usefull, it's better to always use primary
The "new" weapons are fine for me. and I like the new shotgun, machinegun, hagar and crylink.

My favorite combo, Mortar+Nex, does nothing now :/

For the CPMA'ish mouvement, that's ok. Nexuiz players have to learn.

For the rest, that's ok.
The new health management change everything in the 1on1 gameplay. New chalenge ...
Awesome, did Qz show you that ?
Nexuiz : I Reach the top5 of the ladder (even top3 I guess). Top1 French for quite some time (when active) of ladder. Top5 of some tournaments (if I remember well)

For the nexgun: why not simply make charging the weapon cost ammo, and then shooting the weapon not cost any ammo (make the charging process so that it already takes care of ammo consumption)?

Also, note that the CR is utterly(!!) useless on large distance maps in theory (I haven't played Xonotic yet) due to not being hitscan (EDIT: explanation: since you have to lead your aim, the "antilag" is NOT in effect. If a player already has a network-latency of 100ms, and then an extra lets say 100ms for a long-distance shot... well, go figure Tongue). Btw, could someone provide with the approx. number of ms of "delay" the CR has for a tower-to-tower facing_worlds shot? If > 100 ms, the weapon hits (regardless of aiming skill) starts to become just luck.... just like shots with a 56k modem were...

Also, I think someone should be so nice and provide a small table with weapon damage values or influences (Yes, I know, you can "just look up the cvars". Well, guys like us can, but I don't think everyone can).

3 more questions about the Nexgun: 1) does the red inner circle "reload" only when holding the weapon?
2) How does distance affect the damage?
3) How fast do you lose charge when not holding the weapon?

(01-02-2011, 02:05 PM)GreEn`mArine Wrote: For the nexgun: why not simply make charging the weapon cost ammo, and then shooting the weapon not cost any ammo (make the charging process so that it already takes care of ammo consumption)?

Ok, This might work.

(01-02-2011, 02:05 PM)GreEn`mArine Wrote: Also, note that the CR is utterly(!!) useless on large distance maps in theory (I haven't played Xonotic yet) due to not being hitscan (EDIT: explanation: since you have to lead your aim, the "antilag" is NOT in effect. If a player already has a network-latency of 100ms, and then an extra lets say 100ms for a long-distance shot... well, go figure Tongue). Btw, could someone provide with the approx. number of ms of "delay" the CR has for a tower-to-tower facing_worlds shot? If > 100 ms, the weapon hits (regardless of aiming skill) starts to become just luck.... just like shots with a 56k modem were...

I have to disagree here. On Dance two days ago I totally dominated the other team with the Rifle (thanks to headshots). I don't have a demo to prove it, but I bunnyhopped into the enemy base and killed both occupants with two headshots in a row. A Nex wouldn't have been able to do that, because (1) it would take longer to charge in between shots, and (2) even fully charged shots wouldn't do as much damage, so there's no assurance that it would kill with one shot (headshots will kill most everybody except freshly spawned/mega takers).

And also: it's best not to judge something until you've investigated/tried it. So much has changed since Nexuiz 2.5.2. The preview's out now, just grab that.

(01-02-2011, 02:05 PM)GreEn`mArine Wrote: Also, I think someone should be so nice and provide a small table with weapon damage values or influences (Yes, I know, you can "just look up the cvars". Well, guys like us can, but I don't think everyone can).

3 more questions about the Nexgun: 1) does the red inner circle "reload" only when holding the weapon?
2) How does distance affect the damage?
3) How fast do you lose charge when not holding the weapon?

Can't say as a chart ever hurt anybody, why not make one? Unless of course we're going to be changing settings (which seems possible).

Most the answers your looking for can be found in the .cfg files.

(01-02-2011, 02:36 PM)nowego4 Wrote:
(01-02-2011, 02:05 PM)GreEn`mArine Wrote: Also, note that the CR is utterly(!!) useless on large distance maps in theory (I haven't played Xonotic yet) due to not being hitscan (EDIT: explanation: since you have to lead your aim, the "antilag" is NOT in effect. If a player already has a network-latency of 100ms, and then an extra lets say 100ms for a long-distance shot... well, go figure Tongue). Btw, could someone provide with the approx. number of ms of "delay" the CR has for a tower-to-tower facing_worlds shot? If > 100 ms, the weapon hits (regardless of aiming skill) starts to become just luck.... just like shots with a 56k modem were...

I have to disagree here. On Dance two days ago I totally dominated the other team with the Rifle (thanks to headshots). I don't have a demo to prove it, but I bunnyhopped into the enemy base and killed both occupants with two headshots in a row. A Nex wouldn't have been able to do that, because (1) it would take longer to charge in between shots, and (2) even fully charged shots wouldn't do as much damage, so there's no assurance that it would kill with one shot (headshots will kill most everybody except freshly spawned/mega takers).

And also: it's best not to judge something until you've investigated/tried it. So much has changed since Nexuiz 2.5.2. The preview's out now, just grab that.
I was talking about long-distance shots. You are talking about close distance. Of course the CR has (already on paper) a lot of advantages over the nexgun in that case. Close range will almost eliminate the lag introduced by projectiles. Headshots do a lot of damage. There is no "charging" for the CR either, and the refire is probably similar to the nexgun (but each time you get full dmg). But well, how about long-range?

I'm just saying, because I thought the purpose of the CR is to be used as long-distance (camping) rifle... isn't it?

The rifle..or sniper rifle as it's now known I believe, is difficult to use close range mainly because of the refire time and lower rate of damage, but when you do land the headshot's it is indeed good.

Also I think some people don't like the Rifle because it takes more skill to use.
• It's not hitscan, so you have to lead a bit if they're moving fast
• Headshot = more damage than Nex (usually), bodyshot = less damage than Nex (usually). Hence more skill = deadlier.
• You have to time clip reloads

Just my humble opinion Wink I like Rifle better than Nex.

^^^ what nowego said are my exact thoughts Smile

Anyway, FruitieX (my PA), answered I think the OP perfectly.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(12-31-2010, 11:34 PM)FruitieX Wrote:
(12-31-2010, 10:24 PM)Samual Wrote: But this works in reverse too Tongue You can charge it all the way up and switch away and you won't lose any charge during that period. So - Charge, switch, -other weapons-, switch back, POW ALL 90 DAMAGE RIGHT IN THE KISSER. I frequently just charge the nex while i'm not in battle and switch away until the weapon is needed, then instantly pull it out and get the full power of the shot. (No pun intended)
That's perfectly ok, you'll only get that one powerful shot into your combo, as opposed to every shot until your ammo runs out Tongue
Edit: Also, the charge rots even when you've switched away to another weapon...
No, you are wrong. The code for the Nex isn't executed anymore once switched away, so at that point rot is not applied to the charge. Again, this only works when the weapon is active. (Same with any other weapon of the like... It's the same reason why you can't guide a rocket anymore after you switch away - it's not because the code specifically does not allow it, it's because it's just plain not possible anymore...)

kojn^ Wrote:It's not hitscan, so you have to lead a bit if they're moving fast
The rifle is actually hitscan, we abolished the ballistics coding a long time ago iirc. People always claim that uzi and rifle are ballistics based weapons ever since that change was done Tongue But no one ever remembers that we removed that in favor of a method to do something similar with hitscan. I wasn't very active in development back then, so I don't remember technical details as to why all this happened -- but I am sure it's hitscan (with tricks) now. (Actually, it may still exist -- I can't see the code at the moment to check - just no weapon uses it anymore)

Other than that I totally agree with you btw kojn Tongue I like the rifle now, and I definitely think it has its place even with the Nex.

Oh, this is a balance thread, too? o.O
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

btw Samual I did not write that, I just copied what nowego said about it not being hitscan :p
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(01-02-2011, 01:26 PM)PGP_Qz Wrote: - Nexgun : too weak... like every updates since 4 years Smile. read above
- RL : too weak, too slow, too small radius
- Mortar : too weak, strange aim, the grenade is lunched above the crosshair...
- electro : secondary is not very usefull, it's better to always use primary

You pretty much listed all the overpowered weapons in Nexuiz.

- Nex: Was way too strong, especially with the combo ability it had
- RL: Also too strong. Too much damage in one blast == bad if there are no downsides.
- Mortar: ALSO was too strong. Projectile speed was much too fast for that kind of damages.
- Electro: You're very wrong, if you only use the primary the weapon is underpowered (if you keep hitting the opponent EVERY SINGLE FRAME your reward is "only" 92 damage per second). Combined with the secondary it's easier to deal more damage without using an aimbot Tongue
(01-02-2011, 02:05 PM)GreEn`mArine Wrote: For the nexgun: why not simply make charging the weapon cost ammo, and then shooting the weapon not cost any ammo (make the charging process so that it already takes care of ammo consumption)?
Interesting idea. Will consider.

I don't know what kind of magic divVerent applied there, but it IS antilagged. And the projectile travels so fast that you really can't notice it on maps that are of sane sizes (facing worlds still fits that category). You'll just have to aim slightly higher up than straight at the face if you want a headshot, because the bullet will fall down a bit due to gravity in that distance.

Oh by the way, the CR was actually overpowered... Already nerfed it a bit so hopefully it's more balanced now.

(01-02-2011, 02:05 PM)GreEn`mArine Wrote: Also, I think someone should be so nice and provide a small table with weapon damage values or influences (Yes, I know, you can "just look up the cvars". Well, guys like us can, but I don't think everyone can).
You're right. Morfar you hear that? j/k I'll do it myself some day. Tongue

(01-02-2011, 02:05 PM)GreEn`mArine Wrote: 3 more questions about the Nexgun: 1) does the red inner circle "reload" only when holding the weapon?
Yep.

(01-02-2011, 02:05 PM)GreEn`mArine Wrote: 2) How does distance affect the damage?
Not at all. (not sure this is a great idea after all)

(01-02-2011, 02:05 PM)GreEn`mArine Wrote: 3) How fast do you lose charge when not holding the weapon?
As fast as when you're holding the weapon and not charging.
(01-02-2011, 02:36 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Unless of course we're going to be changing settings (which seems possible).

Only minor changes should take place now. Such as changing damage and other values only to balance things out. Possibly the Nex charge system will be completely redesigned, to use ammo instead of the inner red circle around the crosshair...
(01-02-2011, 05:01 PM)GreEn`mArine Wrote: I'm just saying, because I thought the purpose of the CR is to be used as long-distance (camping) rifle... isn't it?

Indeed. Which is why you're stuck with the weapon in your hands for 1.4 seconds after each shot! But I'd still like it if there was something else that limited it to long range fights...
(01-03-2011, 02:53 AM)Samual Wrote: No, you are wrong. The code for the Nex isn't executed anymore once switched away, so at that point rot is not applied to the charge. Again, this only works when the weapon is active. (Same with any other weapon of the like... It's the same reason why you can't guide a rocket anymore after you switch away - it's not because the code specifically does not allow it, it's because it's just plain not possible anymore...)
Which is why this code is in cl_client.qc.
(01-03-2011, 06:20 AM)Halogene Wrote: Oh, this is a balance thread, too? o.O

Monad's law.

Also, as the original states: "given enough time", well, looks like the balance law doesn't need a lot of time.

Phew. Wall of freaking text.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] What do me and my bro think Dustinym 33 21,278 02-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [SUGGESTION] Reversion Balance - Feedback / Suggestions asyyy 0 3,269 10-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Last Post: asyyy
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Dial Indicator, Threat Detector, Tactile Feedback and Impact Physics MkThUnderwd 18 20,100 04-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hutty
  [SUGGESTION] Feedback from a lapsed player Swithin 8 10,333 06-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Swithin
  [SUGGESTION] balanceTest feedback Lee_Stricklin 4 5,764 01-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  [SUGGESTION] Compilation of ideas I think are good Lee_Stricklin 11 11,671 03-26-2010, 03:46 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin