Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
[outdated] Damn Small Xonotic

I am way too impatient to wait for an official "light" version of Xonotic, so I decided to roll my own. Well, not quite "own": basically, I bastardized the original Damn Small Nexuiz script to work with Xonotic 0.1 Preview release. (for those who don't know what is it, here you go. It's basically a striped down version of Nexuiz, a life saver for those poor guys like me.)

For the "Balance testing" release:
Linux 32bit
Linux 64bit
Windows 32bit
Windows 64bit
Sources

Note: I didn't have a chance to test 64bit builds.
Note 2: OS X builds are not available. Sorry.

The size is about ~80mb. Not so "damn small", but still better than the original distribution.
This is far from perfection yet. If you're crazy enough to test it, please share your experiences.

Nice idea Akari Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

great =D
ty Akari
info:
This message was written with 100% recycled electrons!!! Angel
No trees were destroyed and no animals were harmed.

Epic work dude, I'm going to test it now =)

EDIT: If my internet is something faster, then in 10 minutes at least. x)

Nice work, Akari! Thanks a lot Big Grin I will use this to win all games Wink
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

I was the one who first asked for a DSX in the Suggestions board; thanks for working to make it a reality!
My will be done.

really great for my school laptop Smile
[Image: vNzdsZw]

(01-03-2011, 11:44 AM)Akari Wrote: I am way too impatient to wait for an official "light" version of Xonotic, so I decided to roll my own. Well, not quite "own": basically, I bastardized the original Damn Small Nexuiz script to work with Xonotic 0.1 Preview release. (for those who don't know what is it, here you go. It's basically a striped down version of Nexuiz, a life saver for those poor guys like me.)

Downloads:
Linux 32bit
Linux 64bit
Windows 32bit
Windows 64bit

Note: I didn't have a chance to test 64bit builds.
Note 2: OS X builds are not available. Sorry.

The size is about ~80mb. Not so "damn small", but still better than the original distribution.

Sources: if you want to build your own DSX, extract this archive into your Xonotic directory, optionally customize dsx_script.sh and run it. Run dsx_package.sh to generate zip packages. This script was tested on 0.1.0preview, but it MIGHT work on git/future versions of Xonotic with some modifications. Note: this will modify your Xonotic installation!

Oh and, Note 3: builds contain the nexcompat package. If you don't need it, you'll have to build DSX by yourself (see above).

This is far from perfection yet. If you're crazy enough to test it, please share your experiences.

Hey akari thanks for the small xonotic it works better but i see other players like painted boxes can you fix that?

(01-23-2011, 10:31 AM)quickshot Wrote: Hey akari thanks for the small xonotic it works better but i see other players like painted boxes can you fix that?

It's made on purpose, those boxes are alot faster to render => better FPS. If you really don't like that, comment out the relevant stuff in dsx_script.sh (see the sources) and rebuild. Or just import player models from Xonotic.

Very cool! This will help me when my desktop is out of inaccessible and I am playing Xonotic on my laptop!

Updated, now based on the "Balance testing" autobuild. Sources are already on the server, other builds will eventually end up there as soon as they are archived and uploaded; URLs may not function meanwhile.

EDIT: all builds are on the server now

Ok, it looks like I have completely screwed textures up in this release. Took download links down, fixed versions will be up in a about a hour by the same URLs. Will update the topic title when fully done.

Hello. Smile
Thanks for this adaptation.
I didn't know Damn Small Nexuiz.
I tried all the games to compare (except new maps), including "balance testing", on my windows computer.
The high frame rate is perfect!
(I might try other parameters, because it's too much castrated for me.)
Nice job !

Hello, I cannot wait, however, the download links take you to the dodging bullets clan homepage, which houses no down loads, can someone pease post it on media fire or somewhere like that?
Thanks!

I would also really appreciate a re-up. Recently I've managed to fry my graphics card, and I've only been able to replace it with a very cheap low end one. Even running on the lowest graphics, I still don't quite get the desirable framerate I would like on Xonotic. Besides, this also saves having to look up, research and tweak every little thing. :p

I fucked the redirect up, /static was affected. Fixed, the downloads should be available now.

dsx_script.sh does not work with current Xonotic version (datanum=20110906). The script runs fine, but afterwards Xonotic does not run anymore, but prints error »cannot load any menu skin«.

Does this work with 0.6?
erebus minstanex erebus Angel

Cool, well done, would be cool with a 0.6 version of this Big Grin

guys did you realize that Akari isnt working on that anymore?
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

Damn shame that is...

He just sort of disappeared. Anyone know if he's on Quakenet or such?

I changed the thread name to [outdated] Damn Small Xonotic. The previous name, [updated] Damn Small Xonotic: Fixed builds available, was very misleading.

(10-01-2012, 02:24 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I changed the thread name to [outdated] Damn Small Xonotic. The previous name, [updated] Damn Small Xonotic: Fixed builds available, was very misleading.

Our hero.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Damn Small Xonotic (reloaded reloaded?) monad 3 6,553 10-18-2013, 06:13 AM
Last Post: CireGr
  Damn Small Xonotic~RELOADED phenom 24 26,381 10-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Last Post: unfa