Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debian VS Ubuntu, considering jumping distros

Yeah, I guess me too. I think that while Ubuntu is quite nice distro, it begins to get weird. For instance, I was trying to install Jack, but I couldn't find a way to turn it on. Also, I don't like that Ubuntu will be switching to their new shell. Sure, it's nice on netbooks, but it just won't work on desktop PCs. So I'll either jump to Debian or Kubuntu (but then again, people say that KDE is hard to configure).
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

(01-17-2011, 04:20 AM)Halogene Wrote: how the heck am I supposed to know which exact chipsets are residing on my mainboard?!

lspci and lsusb :)
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

Halogene Wrote:My choice is currently still Ubuntu, though I am not so happy about the direction Ubuntu is going. I am considering jumping to another distro as well, someone mentioned Arch Linux offers very up-to-date packages and Gentoo looks interesting to me as well (though I am not so confident I'll manage to install it properly - all those hardware questions, how the heck am I supposed to know which exact chipsets are residing on my mainboard?! I am not sure I want to do all that research...).

I just started using Gentoo a few days ago, and whilst it's not as KISS as Arch, it's still absolutely awesome. TBH it's not terribly difficult to compile your own kernel (make menuconfig; make && make modules_install) and if you make a mistake you can always go back and fix it later, which is something that IMO was missing from Arch. Eventually Arch gets so complicated that you just have to throw it out and start again Tongue

Oh, and managing Python interpreters/CPython versions is as easy as eselect Big Grin
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

(01-17-2011, 08:53 AM)naryl Wrote:
(01-17-2011, 04:20 AM)Halogene Wrote: how the heck am I supposed to know which exact chipsets are residing on my mainboard?!

lspci and lsusb Smile
Yeah, but do I have console access for issuing those commands during installation procedure? Oh, I guess I have, most probably Ctrl-Alt-F1 or so will work already during the compilation dialog. Hmm, maybe I'll give Gentoo a try then.

Last time I tried it I found it so absolutely tedious to go through all the compilation questions that I eventually gave up on it during kernel compilation setup.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Compiling your own kernel is the most fun. ;)

But if it seems tedious you can use genkernel or rip LiveCD's generic kernel.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

You could always try Linux Mint Debian edition. It has pulseaudio I think, but no unity interface, Yet still feels like Ubuntu Lucid Lynx in the GUI, if that is what you are used to.

(01-05-2011, 07:24 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Right now I'm considering another distro for when upgrade time comes. Ubuntu as of late has been getting quite a few questionable changes made to it including the inclusion of this hydra known as pulseaudio and of course the window controls. Can somebody tell me how different Debian is from Ubuntu? From what I've gathered it seems that this is a more conservative and less bleeding edge distro than Ubuntu and has less problems, but I don't know because I've never messed around with it. Would I have to strip out pulseaudio or go through any other annoyances like that?

(01-23-2011, 08:59 PM)Infofoed Wrote: You could always try Linux Mint Debian edition. It has pulseaudio I think, but no unity interface, Yet still feels like Ubuntu Lucid Lynx in the GUI, if that is what you are used to.
emphasis mine.

I don't think including pulseaudio is a good thing. I always had problems getting it to work when I used Ubuntu. Because of this, I have pulseaudio disabled in my USE flags so it never infects my Gentoo system.
(01-05-2011, 07:17 PM)naryl Wrote: > Ubuntu is an ancient African word that means "cant configure debian"

Actually it's for "I can't install Gentoo".

lol disabled. I completely stripped out pulseaudio and installed audio hacks and STILL have a .pulse folder in my home directory. That thing is a virus/hydra that should NEVER hit a desktop OS.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Pulse's a pain in the butt. I was trying to do a Let's Play of Pokemon Stadium 2, but the damn thing a) required 30 megs worth of bloatware only to get it going and b) no matter what I do, it still does something to the audio so I can't sync it for crap. I'd like a JACK, please... See what I did there? JACK? Heh... Heh... Man, I can't get Ke$hA outta my HEAD!
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux Mint to overtake Ubuntu? satuim 21 23,955 09-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Last Post: edh
  Ubuntu 12.10 got one thing right. Minkovsky 5 6,331 10-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Last Post: s1lence
  Considering switching distros Minkovsky 33 32,100 10-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  Exploring Ubuntu 12.04 Samual 61 54,302 05-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Last Post: frostwyrm333
  A Let's Players rig in ALSA/Pulse/Ubuntu Natty - how? Minkovsky 4 5,796 06-18-2011, 04:26 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  [Will It Blend] TwinTech GeForce CUDA GTX470 1280 & Ubuntu 10.10 Minkovsky 6 10,234 03-30-2011, 07:17 AM
Last Post: unfa
  [Will.It.Blend] Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3t & Ubuntu Minkovsky 1 4,091 11-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Spaceman
  ubuntu live cd+intel motherboard+western digital hardrive = hard not detected help jacob 2 4,132 08-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Last Post: jacob
  Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit Lee_Stricklin 14 18,492 07-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Roanoke