Create an account

Poll: Bring back r_fullbright 1?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I want r_fullbright 1
52.17%
24 52.17%
No, its a cheat keep it out
19.57%
9 19.57%
r_fullbright 1 wtf is that?
10.87%
5 10.87%
lol noob get a better gpu
17.39%
8 17.39%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
r_fullbright 1 Cheat or Performance Command?

Is anyone else missing the r_fullbright 1 command for the added FPS it gave in Nexuiz? I know I use it in Nexuiz for the extra FPS boost but I heard it has been declared a cheat in Xonotic because it makes everything brighter...

So the question is do you think r_fullbright 1 should be allowed to be used in Xonotic?
<[-z-]> have you seen the documentary "happy"?
<Samual_> no
<Samual_> it sounds horrible

Fullbright is about as ugly as Augenkrebs. I hate it when servers use that crap.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Not talking server side i'm talking client side use of r_fullbright 1
<Samual_> no

I don't see how enabling eye cancer is a cheat.

Oh wait.

Personally I never used it because to me it's a disadvantage to not have dynamic lighting. So it's just switching between 2 advantages, I wouldn't consider it cheating if anyone else was using it.

I think the "Yes, I want r_fullbright 1" option should be changed to "Yes, it should be allowed" or something like that. I don't "want" it back, but I don't think it's a cheat, I think it should be allowed since for some players it's the only way to get a few more fps.

I would edit it but you can't edit polls apparently.
<Samual_> no

(01-10-2011, 02:19 AM)Liquid Sin Wrote: Is anyone else missing the r_fullbright 1 command for the added FPS it gave in Nexuiz?

I'm not missing it because it takes to change a single line in Darkplaces sourcecode to bring it back. Apparently, I'm a cheater nowdays.

I think using r_fullbright 1 should be allowed in order to make the game playable for those who have a bad GPU. I know I have, though I haven't used that command yet. I don't mind if people turn it on for competitive purposes, if they want better sight for the price of less beautiful graphics, then they can go ahead I don't care. But then again I am not serious about gaming (serious gaming is a contradiction in terms imho anyway).
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Many of you haven't even acknowledge that the server can allow fullbright for clients if you like.. If you want fullbright to be allowed on the server, simply ask the server owner to change it to sv_allow_fullbright 1 (I forgot the actual cvar, but it's something similar i'm sure)

On the grounds of whether or not it should be allowed by default... I don't think so, it definitely gives players an edge in a lot of cases and thusly I think it could be considered a cheat. Another point to bring up is that it REALLY ISN'T THAT HELPFUL TO YOUR FPS.... Even stuff like r_showsurfaces 3 isn't helpful to your FPS compared to the normal render anymore, it just makes things ugly.

Most commercial games don't let you do these kinds of things on multiplayer servers AT ALL... If you have bad FPS, you have bad FPS.. the end. We at least give the server an option to allow it for players.

(01-10-2011, 01:06 PM)Samual Wrote: Many of you haven't even acknowledge that the server can allow fullbright for clients if you like.. If you want fullbright to be allowed on the server, simply ask the server owner to change it to sv_allow_fullbright 1 (I forgot the actual cvar, but it's something similar i'm sure)

On the grounds of whether or not it should be allowed by default... I don't think so, it definitely gives players an edge in a lot of cases and thusly I think it could be considered a cheat. Another point to bring up is that it REALLY ISN'T THAT HELPFUL TO YOUR FPS.... Even stuff like r_showsurfaces 3 isn't helpful to your FPS compared to the normal render anymore, it just makes things ugly.

I looked and yes sv_allow_fullbright is the right command for server owners.

As far as the thought it gives someone an edge over a non r_fullbright 1 user I don't feel that way at all its just a brightness cmd that happens to give certain users those extra 10-20 fps (for me but it depends on your gpu) that end up being the difference between being able to play and not being able to play r_fullbright 1 has acted like a good buffer from those dips below 30 fps which is unplayable imo.

Quote:Most commercial games don't let you do these kinds of things on multiplayer servers AT ALL... If you have bad FPS, you have bad FPS.. the end.

Yeah good point... not really. See there are these settings where you can turn things off and on or lower them thus raising or lowering your FPS and btw r_sky 0 is that going to be declared a cheat to? must I view the sky even If i don't want to? is Xonotic gonna start mandating skybox worshipers? or just telling me i don't pay the electric bill so keep the lights off? lol

Quote:We at least give the server an option to allow it for players.

Well for this I am thankful (I guess), just have to talk to a few server owners and hope they use sv_allow_fullbright 1
<Samual_> no

(01-10-2011, 01:06 PM)Samual Wrote: it definitely gives players an edge in a lot of cases and thusly I think it could be considered a cheat.

In like... what way? Can you name any maps that become broken because of fullbright, and can you tell me how much PLAYERS complained about it? From what I've seen (and what this poll shows), it's just the developers and mappers who aren't okay with fullbright; most normal players, who are the biggest part of the community and who are the ones this game is developed for, either want it back or don't care. I asked div the same question and got a "No" in response. I do not think that a feature that could potentially break some questionable gameplay element that mappers perhaps could make use of should be considered a cheat.

(01-10-2011, 01:06 PM)Samual Wrote: If you want fullbright to be allowed on the server, simply ask the server owner to change it to sv_allow_fullbright 1

I'd rather follow your approach of "Do it yourself, or stop complaining" and become independent of the host's preferences.

(01-10-2011, 01:06 PM)Samual Wrote: Even stuff like r_showsurfaces 3 isn't helpful to your FPS compared to the normal render anymore, it just makes things ugly.

Let's swap hardware, you'll change your mind really soon. As long as it gives me even a tiny FPS boost (and it does), it's good. My configuration is full of those settings which "aren't helpful to my FPS compared to the normal renderer" and here I am, 70 FPS average when I should have had at most 30. Also, s/makes things ugly/gets rid of unnecessary stuff/. I tend to dislike eyecandy in games and find it distracting, the fact that my hardware can't even handle it is not even the primary reason.

The current player models are visible in almost any given situation as it is. I don't think fullbright would really enhance the visibility by much (if at all, the crap makes my eyes bleed) so I don't much care whether they're legal or not.

Oh wait.

+1 for r_fullbright 1

Needed for all multiplayer games.
NO cheat only pure gaming perfomance Smile
[Image: bartucnexuiz.png]

MUHAHAHAHAHA Download nQuake and ask the guys there what they think of fullbright! NO !§$%&/ WAY! I asked them and they won't even download Xonotic, because they think fullbright's enabled here! Seriously, I'm playing Xonotic on an Athlon XP 2800+ and it works just fine, so performance is really not an issue!Big Grin

Specs: AXMA2800FKT4C/K7S8Xrev3/1.5G/AGPHD4650
"If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth. You will not kill. You will become dead marines and then you will be in a world of shit, because marines are not allowed to die without permission. Do you maggots understand?" - Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

(11-05-2011, 05:32 PM)Sarge999 Wrote: MUHAHAHAHAHA Download nQuake and ask the guys there what they think of fullbright! NO !§$%&/ WAY! I asked them and they won't even download Xonotic, because they think fullbright's enabled here!

They have a problem with someone using r_fullbright 1? if its a command available to anyone who wishes to use it what is the problem? its just lighting and it happens to give some people better frames if you don't like fullbright don't use it.
<Samual_> no

I'm not trying to offend you and I really don't care whether people use it or not. However, I think this option should be restricted on the server side. Are you having problems with performance in Xonotic?
"If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth. You will not kill. You will become dead marines and then you will be in a world of shit, because marines are not allowed to die without permission. Do you maggots understand?" - Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

Read the thread :o

Is that serverside allow_fullbright a pure cvar by the way?

It now is, as this certainly does not affect core gameplay but simply anticheat.

In the same commit, I also allowed sv_cullentities_* changes.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone tried Xonotic on a high performance android? poVoq 1 4,074 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SouL
  command list history BruderJakob 0 2,841 03-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Last Post: BruderJakob
  Xonotic Performance Tests Hellgardia 9 10,195 02-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Last Post: JayWalker