Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Translators wanted!

UPDATE: We now have a website to handle translations! Check out the new forum thread here!

Old translator thread

I did a German translation of the Xonotic menu.

[Image: german.jpg]
(note: the display bug in the upper right is fixed now)

Before we go to translating CSQC and the campaign descriptions too, I think we should first translate the menu to some more languages. Who can volunteer to do translations to other languages?

We currently have 530 strings to translate, and I did the German one (although not perfect yet) in about half a day. Who can volunteer to do translations to other languages?

Skills required:
  • We expect you to be a native speaker of said language. Unless the language is Latin or Klingon, of course... Wink
  • No programming skills needed, but a bit helpful; however, all you will do is edit a text file. If major changes happen, you will be provided a new version of the translation file by us which contains untranslated strings for you to work on.
  • If you post here that you will take over a translation, you will be provided with the empty translation template file (unless you are familiar with gettext, in which case you can generate your own).

I will keep this topic open and updated with who is working on which language.
  • German (de): divVerent (but if anyone wants to take over, they can)
  • French (fr): Calinou
  • Portuguese (pt): Hellgardia
  • Russian (ru): Lord Canistra
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

google tanslate?
[Image: vNzdsZw]

No, that won't work. Google's translation quality is WAY too low for this.

However, Google translations CAN be used as a base. Will look like this:

[Image: russian.jpg]
[Image: japanese.jpg]

However, the translations will sure contain a lot of translation errors, so it's not clear whether this actually helps, or makes you waste more time. So I still insist that the translator be a native speaker, and that they actually look over the translation file. HOW they make the file, is up to them.

I'd like to do the French translation. Smile

(01-17-2011, 05:40 AM)Calinou Wrote: I'd like to do the French translation. Smile

Thanks, you now are the official French translator Smile

Maybe generate the base language files from google translate and allow translators to fix the bad translations.
Could be faster.

I can help with Polish translation.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Russians menus for sure will cause a lethal laughter-based explosion for any native speaker. I'm in for russian translation.

Just finished my french translation, link on IRC Big Grin

I can do a Portuguese translation if needed =)

I'd like to translate into Malay.

First, as for the base language files: no, won't do these with Google Translate. You can do this on your own using http://senko.net/services/googtext/ Smile

Secondly, Calinou's French translation is almost done indeed, just a few missing messages now. A trophy screenshot:

[Image: french.jpg]

Thanks, Calinou!

Nice work!!

@DivVerent - Want me to do the portuguese translation?

Cheers

For the others: the message file template is available on http://rm.endoftheinternet.org/~xonotic/...nu.dat.pot.

Tasks you have to do:
  • open the file in a UTF-8 capable editor. Best way to check is to find whether you find the text "Piñata" in the file. If you do not see it, try forcing your editor to open it as UTF-8.
  • for every filled out "msgid", fill out the "msgstr" below it with a translation
  • if there are any format string markers like %s or %d, keep them
  • when you have a preliminary version (with at least 20% translated), give it to me so I will do a test run with it

The German and French language files are already in master on git, named menu.dat.de.po and menu.dat.fr.po, respectively.

And sure, go ahead with Portuguese if you want. The more languages, the better. Worst that can happen (if the code changes) is that some elements will stay untranslated - this is where your contact info comes in, as we will notify you when changes are needed.

(01-17-2011, 06:51 AM)Lord Canistra Wrote: Russians menus for sure will cause a lethal laughter-based explosion for any native speaker. I'm in for russian translation.

You will do Russian? Great. I posted instructions above. If you have any more questions, contact me on IRC (divVerent on Quakenet).

Ok i'll start working on it. How do we send the file when it's done?

(01-17-2011, 10:10 AM)Hellgardia Wrote: Ok i'll start working on it. How do we send the file when it's done?

Either via forum PM attachment or email attachment, or omploader, I guess. If you want, you can also have git access for this.

I have finished it but i can't seem to send you an attachment by PM :\

Attached Files
.zip   menu.dat.pt.po.zip (Size: 11.74 KB / Downloads: 17)

I can do Finnish translation!

But I'm kinda busy for a few days. Gotta find some time in the end of the week.

Well i'm not a native Spanish speaker however I could probably translate the menu into Spanish.... But actually I do know someone who IS a native Spanish speaker, i'll see if I can get him to do it for us.

BTW, template link is broken.

OMG TEMPLAET FILA BORKEN! Fix ASAP PLIXZ!!!!

On a side note:
My _native_ tongue is Polish. Does that mean i'm not allowed to do the english translation? Or Die Deutsche Übersetzung, Ja? Nein? Vielleicht? (Bitte ankreuzen)

PS: Of course, i will check the polish translation to make sure there are any naughty words in there.
4m038105 - Be the change.

Everything that should be censored is censored, since other translation just fail to deliver. Also, you can help with few lines marked as fuzzy. I'm (most likely) halfway through.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

I just fixed the link. The template file was fine all the time - but the forum was not clever enough at detecting what is part of the link and what not.

I'm giving the Swedish translation a shot (hmm, most translated strings turn out longer than the English strings - hope it works in the GUI).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] [Commission] To update Jeff's Modpack - QuakeC programmer wanted breakfast 4 4,804 07-08-2020, 12:45 PM
Last Post: breakfast
  Changes to weapon settings wanted? FruitieX 51 60,042 07-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Flying Steel
  In-game physics testers wanted for an actual game (apply within!) kojn^ 29 29,429 07-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Last Post: parasti