Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DM] Aqueous

This is a small DM map. the layout originally started as a section of toxic, and I just expanded it from there.

[Image: xonotic000008-1.jpg?t=1295282744]

UPDATE 3

adds the ladders on the railing, so you can climb out, among other things.

something is wrong with the autocompile server, so i can't post a pk3, but if you cd to your "xonotic/data/xonotic-maps.pk3dir" and then type "git checkout theshadow/aqueous", you can get it that way.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

the layout looks nice but there are some issues.

The rails make it hard to get out of the water. Maybe you could make some broken rails so its easier to exit the water.

A bigger issue is that the ceiling is really low.
[Image: 3ckl6v5d0aq8cqskmrh9_thumb.jpg]
This is a good place for a laserjump, but the combination of rails and low ceiling make impossible to use it even with a crouch jump.
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I can raise the roof there.

also, the problem with it hard getting out of the water is not related to the rails. it is related to the fact that you really can't jump in water. I could fix this by making the water more shallow, but I wanted it to be possible to go under the walkways. I can do either. which would you prefer?

Imgur Gallery

there is only place where you can get out of the water. it would good if there is at least one more.
both option got their advantages. if you go for the second one you will need a few health and armor pick ups.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

If the water is giving trouble, just stick a bit of ladder brush around the edges so people can climb out.
Hey, want to learn to map? You might want to start here and here!

ah, that is perfect. thank you sepellio. I will also add some broken rails here and there.

Imgur Gallery

The download link isn't working...
Proverbs 25:8 Go not forth hastily to strive, lest thou know not what to do in the end thereof, when thy neighbour hath put thee to shame.

http://beta.xonotic.org/autobuild-bsp/aq...434a43.pk3

btw, I think that is the new one as well, with the ladders on the railing. can anyone confirm this?

although I am not done with it. the railings need work.

Imgur Gallery

Seems way darker in-game than in the screenshots, is there something I need to change on my end?
Also you could add another DOM point and move it and existing ones away from spawns.
Layout looks good, maybe widen the hole in the wall.

As far as tactics go, you can grab the Nex and jump on top and wait for enemy... but it wasn't any different in toxic. most people didn't even think to go up there.
Tongue
GLHF

UPDATE!

adds the ladders on the railing, so you can climb out.

something is wrong with the autocompile server, so i can't post a pk3, but if you cd to your "xonotic/data/xonotic-maps.pk3dir" and then type "git checkout theshadow/aqueous", you can get it that way.

Imgur Gallery

so I have finally gotten back into mapping, and have begun the process of cleaning up my maps for official release, starting with this one. for now, the main thing I need is input. so please, download the map, and tell me anything you tell me any problems you find, and anything you can think of to improve it.

Download Link

I hope to but updating this frequently, now that I have lots of free time.

Imgur Gallery

ok i just gave it a quick run without opponents.
In general you need to scale the map up by at least 1.5! There are too many areas where you get stuck while jumping around or you're bumping against corners. Give the player more space to move!
Completely rework this area:
[Image: 06v5tkig7c0rfvl1vac_thumb.jpg]
it's just too cramped, the ramps are too steep and movement is restricted to going up in normal walking speed, otherwise you get in trouble bumping against everything.

[Image: 0k7ioq2hfafepv4ztdwk_thumb.jpg]
The whole environment seems to be cut at a given height. why? Feel free to add some pillars reaching into the sky and vary the height! This helps to get rid of the boxy feeling.

[Image: 5ark63qy9683chq5pp33_thumb.jpg]
This just jumped into my eye cause the "hole" in the wall completely brakes the structure of the brick texture. Use the brick-texture as a guideline and cut out the hole along the lines that is given by the bricks, and don't just cut right through them Wink

And i really don't know about all these railings... I'd get rid of at least 80% of them and only keep them in some places where they more or less add as a strategic component to the gameplay. I found myself running into them and hindering my movement far too often. This is frustrating, as one of the most crucial gameplay rules should be that the player feels in control of his movement and should be able to focus on his opponents rather than be forced messing with his controls to manouver through the environment. And the need to be jumping to be able to fire a rocket over a railing onto a lower floor just doesn't work with the fast xonotic gameplay.

So this may have sounded a little harsh here are the points that i found to be very good:
The whole map has a really nice feel to it and i really like the little details that add to the atmosphere like the broken parts, the pipes where you can jump on, and the water.
The layout seems very promising and with some testing this can be a solid stock-map.
So please keep working on it!
And scale it up! Wink

Agree, map needs to be bigger to move better, other then that looks and feels solid Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org