Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are the new weapon models?

Before I start my actual post, I want to apogolize this kind of "whining" even though I'm not a developer/modeller and I cannot help anything in this case... I'm just a normal guy who wants some action. Tongue

Allright. Nex/Xon/whatever gun has a new awesome model and appearance. Actually, it has 2 different models (Oblivion's and Bommel's) and both of them are damn nice. However, all the other weapons have same models they used to have in Nexuiz and some of them are a bit "ugly" in some way (okay, not ugly, but dull). Those 2 Xon models were published ages ago, but I haven't seen any actual activity on other weapons. Will Xonotic have new weapon models, or will Xonotic use the Nexuiz ones? One of the main points of Xonotic is to replace old low-quality textures and models with new ones, is this going to happen with all weapons?

Good-looking weapon models are essential, because the weapon which you're carrying takes a great part of player's view and therefore gives a some kind of "graphical pleasure". If the weapon model is dull, it is often generalised on the overall graphics. That's why weapons should look damn nice, IMO.

I'm just wondering this, because people have done so much work on maps and other stuff, but where are the weapons?

this is something that has been irking me. I have several weapon models that are close to being ready, however there is no one to texture them, and a lot of the devs seem quite content with the ones we have.

I plan on making models for all of the weapons, however it won't do any good unless we can find someone who can texture them. (properly)
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

Yoda, just jump in and start texturing your own stuff, it's actually a lot easier to learn to do it yourself than try to find/convince others to do it for you all the time. Trust me, if you jump in and stick with the learning process you won't regret it. Texture creation is not at all some kind of horrible unfun process or elite science, it's just a different set of tricks and skills from modeling.

And when you texture your own stuff, you raise the ceiling on what quality of a modeler you could become, because then you know the rest of the process and what exactly the texture can and can't do versus what the model can and can't do.

I did a low detail rocket launcher / recoiless gun model for UFO:AI which uses the same diffuse, specular (gloss) and normal type textures that Xonotic supports. So if you want I can send you the source files for reference:

[Image: rocket_launcher_example8.png]

If Oblivion's source files (multi-layered XCF, PSD or TIFF) were committed then you should download those and look at how they were done in GIMP.
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

(01-15-2011, 03:44 PM)theShadow Wrote: this is something that has been irking me. I have several weapon models that are close to being ready, however there is no one to texture them, and a lot of the devs seem quite content with the ones we have.

I plan on making models for all of the weapons, however it won't do any good unless we can find someone who can texture them. (properly)

Yea, I've seen your models, but because they have been just models without textures and other stuff I wasn't sure if you were serious with those models or just tinkering for lulz.

I'm glad you are serious with those and I really do hope that someone can texture them.

That rocket launcher looks cool ^^

Honestly the nexuiz's/xonotic's Rocket launcher is one of the weapon models i dislike... although i know it is a matter of personal preference, i highly prefer steel's model to the current one

Cheers all

New models would be very welcome. However, I cannot texture them. Yes, making good art IS hard...
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

For anyone who is wanting to make new weapon models, I have a request.

Please focus most of the detail of the weapon on the part that can be viewed from first-person perspective.

I realize it is cool to look at the side of the weapon like this...

[Image: electro_v2.jpg]

But this view is really the most important because this is what people are looking at 99% of the time...
[Image: electroFPV.jpg]

The intricate detail at the base of the weapon is almost never going to be seen in-game.

Ohh cool, there is a topic on weapon models so I dont need to open a new one for this Smile So actually guys, what do you think about the idea to make the barrel of the SNIPER rifle longer? I mean like twice as long as it is now? It actually really looks like a pistol/assault rifle mixture, and the barrel length doesnt represent that this weapon is made for long range shooting.
Hopefully it shouldnt be way too hard to edit, since its only a long pipe.

i think the original idea behind it is it is a bullpup, or something. basically, the barrel goes through the entire length of the weapon (starting from the shoulder pad)

but not to worry, I will be making a new sniper model anyway.

@dokujisan: i get your point, but i would like to point out that on that weapon, pretty much all of the detail is on the top. (I did that on purpose).

oh, and the top render is a lot more recent than the bottom one. like the pipes in the top one are not present in the bottom one. just thought I would point that out.

Imgur Gallery

(01-17-2011, 04:56 AM)divVerent Wrote: New models would be very welcome. However, I cannot texture them. Yes, making good art IS hard...

But do you want new models for technical or stylistic improvements?

If technical, then it would be helpful to throw out some stats for replacement weapons, like poly count and texture resolutions, scale dimensions, etc. Or at least list what the issues are with the current models.

If stylistic, some agreements or guidelines on the aesthetic of Xonotic technology (especially weapon technology) would likewise make this less of a guessing game for artists.
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

(01-17-2011, 08:50 PM)theShadow Wrote: @dokujisan: i get your point, but i would like to point out that on that weapon, pretty much all of the detail is on the top. (I did that on purpose).

Oh, I just used those images because they were the first ones I could find to show a weapon model in two angles. I wasn't suggesting that you made a mistake with that model design.

(01-18-2011, 01:43 PM)Dokujisan Wrote: Oh, I just used those images because they were the first ones I could find to show a weapon model in two angles. I wasn't suggesting that you made a mistake with that model design.

ok, just making sure Smile

anyway, as long as we're on the subject:

[Image: minstanex-1.jpg?t=1295377640]
minstanex

[Image: rocketlauncher-1.jpg?t=1295377381]
rocket launcher

Big Grin

Imgur Gallery

whoa, great job theShadow, both weapon models look frigging cool!

if this minstanex model would turn out to look cooler than the actual nex when its textured, then it could even replace the nex model, and old misntanex model could be switched to the current nex. I mean probably more people will play the "normal" modes, so nicer looking models are maybe more needed there.

The rocketlauncher model-switch could do well to the game, your RL's shape represents its function a bit better in my opinion.

[Image: 20110117minstanexd.jpg]

LJFHutch's changes to theShadow's minstanex.

wooooooow, looks maybe even better lol, except that shoulder-fix part Tongue
Are there any screenshots on the sniper rifle remake? I heared someone is working on that too.
Also will there be a new model for crylink? That model has been used since Nexuiz 1.0 if i remember correctly

Ok, one more time...

Show the weapons from 1st person perspective plz

kthxbai :-)

@Dokujisan: LJFHutch just drew over theShadow's screenshot. He didn't actually model it, which is why there is no first person shot.

@Franco: I'll ask LJFHutch to do a concept for the sniper rifle. As for the crylink, I like the current design but it would use more polies and a higher resolution texture.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Morphed's used brushes for weapon and item model texturing LegendGuard 0 1,709 11-30-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [NEED HELP] Editing Pick-Up Models NoClue 3 1,135 11-25-2022, 06:17 AM
Last Post: NoClue
  [NEED HELP] Weapon shader isn't doing as I'm intending to do LegendGuard 0 1,047 04-04-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  List of Free/GPL Models & Programs AllegedlyDead 7 14,241 10-26-2021, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Dares
  How to import Weapon Models? NoClue 6 3,416 12-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Julius
Brick New Shotgun and Uzi models MirceaKitsune 6 4,075 07-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Last Post: _para
  [NEED HELP] NetRadiant Models Not Working 3agle427 7 5,278 06-26-2020, 11:40 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
Rainbow [NEED HELP] Player models. Import to blender, export to xonotic. Snekky 1 3,643 04-19-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
  [NEED HELP] Texture problems in MD3 exported models (Quake 3) xLuca91x 9 6,590 03-31-2020, 03:13 PM
Last Post: xLuca91x
  Renamon & Krystal player models MirceaKitsune 37 59,626 12-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Mario