Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Ask your questions about Xonotic here

What do you mean by first person arms?
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

I think they mean visible arms in 1st person mode. The answer is no.

(02-12-2013, 01:58 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I think they mean visible arms in 1st person mode. The answer is no.

I this universal in all darkplaces engine games? Also would it be possible if the arms were "baked in" to the weapon animations?

(02-12-2013, 02:00 PM)Faraday Wrote:
(02-12-2013, 01:58 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: I think they mean visible arms in 1st person mode. The answer is no.

I this universal in all darkplaces engine games? Also would it be possible if the arms were "baked in" to the weapon animations?

"Baked in" would be possible, yes, but then it would be the same arms for every player model.

It's not a DarkPlaces limitation, it's just that Xonotic doesn't implement that feature. I'm pretty sure it could be done without modifying DP.

There are a few games which have had arms visible, Q2 as an example but then all of the player models were similar enough that the same arms were used. The arms as part of models would be a massive complication when the arms have got to be different.

And are you talking about this being compulsory or not? If they're part of the view model (weapon) then it would be.

Does anyone know where I can download the capturecity_xon map?

(02-12-2013, 02:49 PM)edh Wrote: There are a few games which have had arms visible, Q2 as an example but then all of the player models were similar enough that the same arms were used. The arms as part of models would be a massive complication when the arms have got to be different.

And are you talking about this being compulsory or not? If they're part of the view model (weapon) then it would be.

I don't really know what you mean by compulsory but I'm going to guess... yes.

Also thanks everyone this has cleared up quite a lot.

(02-12-2013, 03:07 PM)Dr Dugong Wrote: Does anyone know where I can download the capturecity_xon map?
Have you played on it online? If you have then it is already in your dlcache directory. This depends on your OS for where it is but try something like ~/.xonotic/data/dlcache under Linux. Then copy the PK3 file to your Xonotic/data directory.

(02-12-2013, 03:30 PM)Faraday Wrote: I don't really know what you mean by compulsory but I'm going to guess... yes.

If the arms were intergrated into the view models then the arms would always be on when you have the view model (weapon) visible. That would mean some people would then complain they didn't want the arms.

Also how would you handle left/centre/right view model options? Different arms? Then you need 3 times as many models unless you want the player to be thinking they're in some crazy pose with 2 left arms! Big Grin

(02-12-2013, 03:46 PM)edh Wrote: If the arms were intergrated into the view models then the arms would always be on when you have the view model (weapon) visible. That would mean some people would then complain they didn't want the arms.

If Xonotic were to support it, I think it would tweak the existing "invisible hand" system, which is basically an invisible model with a tag where the weapon is attached. One could substitute this hand model with a visible arms model and the same tag, and this would (technically) allow for different hand models to be used. Relevant place in the code: cl_weaponsystem.qc line 280 (current git), see comment and function that follows.

There's some work to do to avoid obvious clipping, though, and this for every model/weapon combination. That would be quite some work.

I knew it had to be something like that. Thank so much!

Waste of time and nearly impossible to get looking even half decent, plus has way too many complications anyway.

We have a billion higher priorities with models, like weapon models themselves or powerup models or item pickup models or map props. If someone actually put any time into this before addressing those other much higher priorities, I would slap them.

(02-13-2013, 02:41 PM)Samual Wrote: Waste of time and nearly impossible to get looking even half decent, plus has way too many complications anyway.

We have a billion higher priorities with models, like weapon models themselves or powerup models or item pickup models or map props. If someone actually put any time into this before addressing those other much higher priorities, I would slap them.
Dodgy Geez, Samual. I know about the priorities - I just wanted to know if this was possible/viable for future projects.

(02-16-2013, 05:45 AM)Faraday Wrote:
(02-13-2013, 02:41 PM)Samual Wrote: Waste of time and nearly impossible to get looking even half decent, plus has way too many complications anyway.

Dodgy Geez, Samual. I know about the priorities - I just wanted to know if this was possible/viable for future projects.
Well for another project with less stupid player/weapon models, it sure is possible/viable.

But for us... not so much. Also: I have to be as clear as possible many times, otherwise people misconstrue my statements.

Quote:Also: I have to be as clear as possible many times, otherwise people misconstrue my statements.

Yo, Sammers, I've made these sort of like arm things cause you said it would be a good idea to do so while you're worrying about all the important stuff and slapping people who didn't do the important stuff like arms which are really important.

So, where can I put these arms?

rocknroll237, what are you talking about?

(02-16-2013, 05:13 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: rocknroll237, what are you talking about?

It was just a joke. Tongue

murder.

Just wondering if there's a weapon in Xonotic that acts like the Nexuiz Camping Rifle with single/auto shot mode.
[MoFo] Servers - North America - Hosted in Montreal Canada - Admin DeadDred [MoFo]

Yeah.. the Rifle. Tongue

Placed on only a few maps - Newtonian Nightmare for instance.

Althought it doesnt have automatc secodary fire. it was replced by shotgun-like shot.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

What would be a desired accuracy average for the nex?
[Image: 21770.png]

(02-21-2013, 11:16 AM)Aidan Wrote: What would be a desired accuracy average for the nex?

100%

EDIT: Have a look at the best players' stats: http://stats.xonotic.org/

0-10% - Poor accuracy
10-20% Below average accuracy
20-30% - OK/Average accuracy
30-40% - Good/Very Good accuracy
40-50% - Excellent accurary
50%+ - Top aimers accuracy

Ofcourse some people may of played say 500 games and had average accuracy before they improved and may actually have become more accurate but there average accurary is still fairly low because of all the previous games.

The figures above are just what I'd consider accuracy wise, the top nex aimers are often hitting 50%+ nex in there matches, zeroql, mossepo, myself, PCLizard to name a few.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Thank you kojn!
[Image: 21770.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Your Favorite Maps cushinga 6 1,719 03-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,237 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,451 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 8,106 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Information We want your help Samual 35 35,201 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? unfa 147 154,037 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Wii-Wii
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,582 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Here's my fair share Scorpion 8 8,205 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  Pythonistas, please raise your hand Dokujisan 13 10,767 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spyroviper
  ITT: post your WASD teams 9 10,728 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin