Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Ask your questions about Xonotic here

As far as I understand it, xonotic will be clean, streamlined, and futuristic.
I think (I hope?) you confused the latter and former.

(04-06-2010, 03:29 PM)Roanoke Wrote: As far as I understand it, xonotic will be clean, streamlined, and futuristic.
I think (I hope?) you confused the latter and former.
You hoped. Tongue

Well, I don't mind. Big Grin I just prefer games like that. I still hope the Xonotic is going to be awesome. Tongue

Will vehicles be included by default with Xonotic?

-K
Camping nerds and their xons....

(03-22-2010, 08:56 AM)Silverburn Wrote: How long before we can expect a download?

And also, the FAQ says: "low quality textures will be dropped and replaced with high quality".

On the current version of Nexuiz, I have to run with r_showsurfaces 3, r_sky 0 and all graphics settings at lowest quality, just to get an average of 60fps.

How will this "higher quality textures" affect that?

you can always crank texture compression right up and you should get good fps, also a lot of my maps are low poly, and a divide up the areas well with blocking walls... fps problems mostly come from big spacious maps where you have 10 players on the screen at one time

but my maps will take years to download, get used to it... you getting gold and your getting it for free Big Grin

I agree with Kasofa, will there possibly be vehicles in Xonotic, or is the physics system still not "sufficient" enough (in your eyes) for this.

Thanks

There will be mannable vehicles in Xonotic, and there are plans to do that for turrets too. However, I can't tell you in which version the vehicles will be included.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

I didnt no where to put this thought, so ive put it here. I was wondering if there was anything that could be done about spamming pic ups and camping. It has become a bit of a problem on the au servers. Im a defender so it affects me the most. Im not sure if anyone else thinks this is a problem.
But camping has certainly killed alot of maps, and i was wondering if there was any chance of having a penalty like in minsta nex. If u stand in the same area for more than 10 seconds you begin to lose health.
The second problem is spamming pick ups. In the new scoring system players lose points when they pick up the flag but this still does deter players from doing it. In some games players end the map with 5 caps and 32 pick ups. So the art of attacking is pretty much dead. I was wondering maybe there could be a penalty: like every time u die with the flag there is a 5 or 10 second delay on respawning?
Just thoughts.

I tried to read that, then realized that I didn't deserve to be subject to merciless massacres of the English language.

Type like a human.

Humorous coming from an american (I assume).
I will put it plainly for you then.
To reduce camping: a player begins to lose health if he stands in the one spot for over 10 seconds. Or some number that is reasonable.
To reduce people spamming picks and bring the art of attacking back: if a player dies while in possession of the flag it takes him 5-10 seconds to respawn.
Thats pretty plain.

(04-26-2010, 03:54 AM)MDWGUNS Wrote: Humorous coming from an american (I assume).
Point A. When you assume, you make an ass out of you and me.
Point B. I type better and more coherently than you, so if that's humorous to you...
I will put it plainly for you then.

(04-26-2010, 03:54 AM)MDWGUNS Wrote: To reduce camping
Why is camping a bad thing?

(04-26-2010, 03:54 AM)MDWGUNS Wrote: To reduce people spamming picks and bring the art of attacking back: if a player dies while in possession of the flag it takes him 5-10 seconds to respawn.
Because there are so many people trying to return the flag after the fc's death.

If you want camping go play COD, i thought people played nexuiz for the speed aspect. But if you are a camper yourself im preaching to the wrong person.
"Because there are so many people trying to return the flag after the fc's death."
I dnt understand this point. I would happily agree with Point B of yours, I just assumed you were an American player, in the same vein as pclizard. My mistake, sry. If the greater community of nexuiz does not have the problem of camping or spamming pick ups then im happy enough to withdraw my complaints.
Though i will say it is killing the game on the aus nexuiz servers.

Stop degrading American people right now. And no replies on that topic either.
As for capming, though it's totally offtopic here: that's one way of tactic to play. Cheap, but a tactic. In a team game, if your team can't do anything against it, that's the clear sign of lack of real teamplay.
Anyway, if you'd like to discuss this matter, please open a thread for it elsewhere.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

I saw on the devtracker something about a "compatibility patch" which would be added to Nexuiz to make it Xonotic (or at least look like Xonotic). How is this coming along, is there a release version, etc, etc?
Humans... Dodgy

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by a judicious application of carnivorous dinosaurs." -JayIsGames.com

Xonotic isn't ready for release yet, don't expect the compatibility patch to come out before the actual Xonotic release Smile

compatibility pack* Smile

Yeah but the pack functions as a patch Tongue

What operating systems will Xonotic run on?

(06-19-2010, 05:33 PM)Ulrich Wrote: What operating systems will Xonotic run on?

Given the "outer space" theme, I do believe that Xonotic will first and foremost run on Plan 9.

Yes, but support for other *nix systems is forthcoming.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

I have one importanat question, how do i play eatseakittens on xonotic? im new to it and i only see 2 servers on that thing

(08-07-2010, 10:22 PM)SkullKrusher Wrote: I have one importanat question, how do i play eatseakittens on xonotic? im new to it and i only see 2 servers on that thing

You can't. Xonotic clients are incompatible with nexuiz servers.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

I am going to be building a new system soon, with a Phenom II X4 925 (most likely), and I want to know if under windows 7 or Ubuntu 10.04, will the game run on all four cores? i've heard that the game will run worse on a multi-core system, and have seen the results with my own eyes, on my friends dual core system with vista. Currently I can max the game (depending on the map) with my Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz (single core).

Second Question: Is the laser jump going to be removed in Xonotic? It is one of my favorite aspects of gameplay (even as a noob). I was under the impression that it will most likely be removed in favor of noob friendliness, which I think is a bad decision. New players could just as easily read a quick tutorial, loading screen hints & tips, or even hints before entering the match (before pressing space bar).
[Image: jngsiggy.png]

Answer 1:
I don't believe that Xonotic makes much use of multiple cores. Unless you host a server on the same computer you play, a 3.2ghz single core would suffice, but keep that quad core for more CPU intensive tasks.

Answer 2:
No. It has, however, been slightly dampened and requires a little more thought and control. The game in itself plays much smoother.

Will the quad core hinder my performance vs my 3700+? I would love to upgrade, but am still worried that Xonotic will not perform at a reasonable level. (I'm a graphics fanatic, on a budget)
[Image: jngsiggy.png]

Xonotic is mostly GPU 'bound. Seems an Opensource community knows how to write a game better than commercial companies. The reason so many games(commercial) are CPU bound is because they were designed for the server processor on a console, which they use to offset the poor GPU. Your quad core will work fine. It ran great on a 2.6ghz DC Athlon, so yours will handle it like a charm, make sure to invest well in your GPU though.

Edit: I'm a graphics fanatic on a budget too. Being just out of high-school doesn't give me much to work with. Big Grin Get a RAID 0 array though, it's amazing, 3 160GB WD recertified drives for $80 total gives me 250MB/s sequential read speeds O_o!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Your Favorite Maps cushinga 6 1,597 03-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,159 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,370 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 7,964 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Information We want your help Samual 35 34,705 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? unfa 147 152,784 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Wii-Wii
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,426 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Here's my fair share Scorpion 8 8,090 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  Pythonistas, please raise your hand Dokujisan 13 10,647 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spyroviper
  ITT: post your WASD teams 9 10,647 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin