Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Ask your questions about Xonotic here

Ok, I think I'll just split this thread now, because the original intention of the thread was:
"This thread is for asking questions about the Xonotic project, because we know you have lots of questions to ask :-)
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Haha. And the clashing continues. I think you split it after I did. I left these two posts in the original topic since they weren't part of the flaming. All the other posts are in a separate thread, they weren't lost.

EDIT: Merging this back into "ask your questions"

Though still some of the posts are rather gameplay related, not project related per se. However, our little community is known to be a professional in thread derailing, so I think this is considered pretty normal Big Grin

Oh, this thread is about the project itself? I thought it was for tiny little questions that don't warrant an entire thread.

Hm.

(06-07-2012, 05:10 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Oh, this thread is about the project itself? I thought it was for tiny little questions that don't warrant an entire thread.

Hm.

I thought i was for tiny questions too. Seems like a useful thread to have, imo.

What questions could people have about the project that aren't in the FAQ or belong in the development section?

The thread dates back to the times when Xonotic was something very new (1-2 weeks old), and people were still confused, and were full with doubt an questions towards the project's intentions, reasons, aims etc.

Could someone explain me in details how Onslaught in Xonotic works?

Pretty much like in UT series.

2 teams. Both have their core generator in base. Goal is to destroy it. You can't however do it just like that - there are nodes throughout the map, which can be linked to each other. You can only capture nodes which are linked to your core or other your nodes. You cannot capture enemy node just like that either - you have to destroy it first. And you can only damage an enemy node OR core, if they are linked by your node.

Links are always marked on a map. If timer runs out, cores take dmg on a rate depending on how many nodes enemy has.

I just wonder...

What does Nexuiz stands for? Ive heard it is a tournument in the "nexuiz univers"

What does Xonotic stands for? From what ive understood it doesnt stand for anything which is probably wrong xD. But hear are some suggestions any way Tongue

A mighty warrior who have either fighted for freedom or have won the nexuiz tournoment most times.

It can be a tournument.

It can be the name of the first arena.

http://www.xonotic.org/the-game/faq/#How...e_the_name

How and why did you choose the name?

Brainstorming of the name started on day 1 of our discussions, and the process took about 4-5 days.

We had about 30 key community members onboard at the time of the name choosing. We all submitted ideas and voted on the best names. Some names were ruled out because of domain availability and name-conflicts with other software projects or companies in the software industry. Some names were ruled out because of how common they were in Google searches. Xonotic was a unique name with an available .com/.net/.org and google search results were almost none.

So, it means nothing, really.

Nexuiz also doesn't mean anything. Nexuiz was supposed to be NEXIUZ. Nexiuz was an artist in the original alienTRAP development team, who registered the domain. But unfortunately, he made a typo. And Vermeulen never changed it.

Is there ever actually a server up for this? I have never played this in Xonotic... and I even tried that FPS DOTA mod already Wink

Btw, does anyone work on a FPS tower defense mod like Sanctum? Or maybe reverse towerdefense like Anomaly: Warzone earth?

Okey, why I was asking this is beucase these names might get a key role in a trailer concept I am working on. Also if xonotic gets some kind of story mode in the future it might be good defining a meaning to these words.

Transutable delight can be voted to ONS, and I've just set it.

The nexuiz tournament thing is an invention of Illfonic. It has absolutely nothing to do with the predecessor of Xonotic.

Okey

Have anyone succefully compiled Xonotic on a more exoticOS like FreeBSD or GNU with the HURD kernel? I really want to play Xonotic on my FreeBSD machine. Also Ive seen software for GNU/Linux been ported to Haiku-OS is it possible try to port it for that? I tried Haiku-OS on my laptop and I have to say its really awesome, probably gonna use it exclusive on that one. :-)

There already is a port for BSD: http://www.freshports.org/games/xonotic/
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

As for Haiku, you could contact Blub about this. He has interest in both DarkPlaces and Haiku, maybe he can provide some insight.

Getting Xonotic to run on Hurd might not be too easy yet - the last time I saw any news about that kernel (~1-2 years ago) it still didn't have any graphical server, only text console. Not to mention any drivers.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Shouldn't stop a dedicated server.

DarkPlaces dedicated server also was once reported working on Solaris 10. But I did not verify that.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

(06-26-2012, 11:56 PM)Cyber Killer Wrote: Getting Xonotic to run on Hurd might not be too easy yet - the last time I saw any news about that kernel (~1-2 years ago) it still didn't have any graphical server, only text console. Not to mention any drivers.

http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/ :-) it will soon come .

Thanks divverent for the link

mr. bougo: i see no reason limiting xonotics userbase, how do i cantact him? :-)

He's on IRC sometimes, #darkplaces on OFTC or one of the #xonotic channels. You can also PM him on his Xonotic forum account: http://forums.xonotic.org/member.php?act...ile&uid=28

Cool, thanks.

Dreaming of xonotic on all pc platforms(almost all at least) :-)

MrBougo just brought my attention to this thread. Haven't been on the forum for a while.
Anyway, the status on Haiku:

It's been over 2 years, and a lot has happened in haiku since then. The status from *back then* was:
Got it to compile, had to make a few changes (specifically to the networking code, some ioctls and other stuff needed to be changes), but when running I only had a blank screen (maybe due to the driver situation, or maybe due to some problems with the SDL port itself, don't know)

Anyway, as I said, a lot has happened. There are even radeon drivers now, not sure about their state, but I don't think it'll take long till there's some decent hw acceleration available for AMD cards (by "not long" I mean within the next 2 years or so, maybe faster though, I haven't been tracking haiku in a while now...)

Maybe now the code works with fewer changes, and maybe the software renderer can be used - though the SSE support in haiku may still need some work. Again, I don't know the current state of haiku, back then SSE wasn't enabled, though now it should be.

Once I get the time and nerves to get haiku on my system again - (I'd need a non-raid partition I suppose, and the radeon driver needs to support my card, so yeah, got some work to do to get it all up and running) - I'll be happy to give it another shot if nobody else is has done it by then. Smile

As Bougo said, you can contact me on IRC mostly. xonotic channels, darkplaces channel, FTE channel and several others.

Question 
Hi guys,

i am looking for 2 maps I enjoyed in Nexuiz back then. I wonder if they have been converted yet to work with Xonotic.

One was something with INDUSTRIAL, i think it was originally a Q3 map with a very nice small industrial setting. And the other one, I dont remember the name anymore, was a very nice vacation-like setting with a big lake or ocea where a shark was swimming in. And it was a very nice, Ibiza like setting. A village, some sort of large fortress and some like that. It was really a beauty.

I thought it was that Little Mexico map but that wasn't it. If anyone knows which maps I am talking about and knows if there is a Xonotic version, please let me know. Would love to play these again. Wink

Thanks.

Wolfseye
[Image: QD2BT.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Your Favorite Maps cushinga 6 1,626 03-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,175 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,390 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 7,999 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Information We want your help Samual 35 34,820 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? unfa 147 153,088 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Wii-Wii
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,454 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Here's my fair share Scorpion 8 8,123 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  Pythonistas, please raise your hand Dokujisan 13 10,686 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spyroviper
  ITT: post your WASD teams 9 10,671 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin