Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Ask your questions about Xonotic here

thx a lot, it works well Wink, for all who wants this great look, a short discription

you have to make an autoexec.cfg and put the following commands in it!

r_glsl "1"
r_glsl_postprocess "1"
r_glsl_postprocess_uservec2 "1 -3 0 0"

than you have the cellshading effect, like in the picture down below, but have in mind i have picmip activated. the little red splashes are normaly not there, its because of the bot hit me Tongue.

[Image: 9zq6unbm96f.jpg]

lg maiden

hi,
is there anywhere a list of all quake maps that exist in xonotic? i mean q1-4 maps.

lg maiden

hi there,
got the feeling that i spamming this forum with quastions, SORRY fo that Undecided

can anyone tell me the settings for this railgun and morter effect like in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGfdR5swB...ure=relmfu

lg maiden

Haha 6 post ain't spamming, don't worry about that! Wink

There is a Java application for editing the rail effect IIRC, the mortar one is consider cheating, so if you found out how please don't use it online.

Everything is can be achieved by editing effects.txt in the data pk3, please correct me if I'm wrong...

Darkzone is the only Quake map remade as part of the official Xonotic. As for unofficial maps in the community, yes, there are loads.

ID has released the .map files for Quake 1 under the GPL meaning that all of the original maps can be ported rather than remade, helping to keep the original dimensions but scaled up for Xonotic. I did this with The House of Cnthon for Nexuiz but it never was really that good, so I stopped.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

oh, cheating that i doesnt know.

so i cant change it with console commands?

Perhaps, I'm not sure.

Here is the Java program I talked about: http://www.xonotic-gaming.org/blog/index...rator-0-1/

not everyone considers changing the mortar effect cheating ....

its a grey area ....

You are modifying files which aren't supposed to be edited to gain visibility, that's cheating, but okey for making videos etc. :=)

Yes, the stance of most admins I know is that this is not okay on servers. So if you use that, don't complain if you get banned for several weeks.

It's totally ok for demos, though. But using anything as a replacement for the original data is considered cheating.

(10-11-2012, 10:33 AM)machine! Wrote: You are modifying files which aren't supposed to be edited to gain visibility, that's cheating, but okey for making videos etc. :=)

Not always true. Some people just want a different colour nex beam.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

And drawing the line is nearly impossible, so everything is considered cheating to make it simple.

Besides, a differently colored nex beam has a different visibility against some backgrounds. So it's not okay anyway.

(10-11-2012, 01:22 PM)kojn^ Wrote:
(10-11-2012, 10:33 AM)machine! Wrote: You are modifying files which aren't supposed to be edited to gain visibility, that's cheating, but okey for making videos etc. :=)

Not always true. Some people just want a different colour nex beam.

I said only in the mortar case...

again .. its a grey area ...

it depends on the rules of the matches and the opinions of who you are fighting against ...

I know that the smoke clan thinks its just fine to use orange polka motar trails ... I think its fine too (although I don't use them ) ...

if orange mortar trails are cheating ... then what about full bright ... or force models ... or F%$@ing picmip?
Does turning off gore give you a visibility advantage?
what about having a higher framerate than the other guy ...
or using a non-standard mouse or gaming control device (I play bzflag with a wacom tablet ...)

its all a grey area

The reason fullbright, force models, force colors, and picmip aren't considered cheating is because A: they're standard in competition, and B: they don't add anything to the game, they remove stuff.

You're right about there being many shades of grey dealing with these things, but mortar trails are a far darker shade of grey than picmip.

(10-11-2012, 09:58 PM)s1lencer Wrote: The reason fullbright, force models, force colors, and picmip aren't considered cheating is because A: they're standard in competition, and B: they don't add anything to the game, they remove stuff.

You're right about there being many shades of grey dealing with these things, but mortar trails are a far darker shade of grey than picmip.

Plus, it's totally not intended by the devs. You have to modify asset files to do that.

Some cvars are meant for debugging or for very old machines and provide an unintended andvantage in competition, but they are still configuration variables. Thus I understand why one would say that's a gray area.

But outright editing of asset files is a clear no as far as most admins are concerned, since you're clearly not meant to do this.

There used to be a check on client side changes in later version(s) of Nexuiz. Possibly only on a certain server. Whatever happened to this? Was it too Big Brother for us?
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

@PinkRobot
Afaik divverent hasn't ported the pure server mod yet. It would be great though if someone could do it.

Xonotic is GPL, isnt it? so you should be allowed to modificate it?...

Yes, its a grey area...
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

Heart 
(10-13-2012, 03:48 PM)aa Wrote: Xonotic is GPL, isnt it? so you should be allowed to modificate it?...

Yes, its a grey area...

Of course, you're allowed to modify Xonotic and distribute it, that's the point of the GPL. But that does not mean you won't get banned from servers for playing with modified files.

The GPL says what under what conditions you can or can't distribute the software. It has no incidence on the rules of the game itself!

It's a grey area....

So..

You can modify those files, but you cant use modified files in an on-line game.

Corrrect?

Yep. But the "can" and "can't" are not the same type of "can". You are legally authorized to do both, but server admins will still ban you if you use the files because admins don't like cheaters.

It's a grey area...

what about the texture refresh for aerowalk? thats modifying files ... but it considered safe by mostly everyone

It's not a grey area - you are free to modify any files and then to host an online server for everybody with modified files to play on.

Using GPL to validate cheating is wrong, it's a matter of morals and honor.

Many FLOSS games struggle with cheaters who change the game and use it to their advantage in online play. Some try to implement some anti cheating mechanisms, but they usually fail (one of the few successful ones is Wesnoth who eventually moved all game logic to the server side, but they can easily do that since it's a turn based game, obviously it won't work for most others ;-) )
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Your Favorite Maps cushinga 6 1,627 03-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,178 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,392 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 8,001 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Information We want your help Samual 35 34,827 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? unfa 147 153,090 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Wii-Wii
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,455 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Here's my fair share Scorpion 8 8,130 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  Pythonistas, please raise your hand Dokujisan 13 10,687 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spyroviper
  ITT: post your WASD teams 9 10,672 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin