Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Ask your questions about Xonotic here

(12-12-2012, 12:38 PM)kojn^ Wrote: Is it possible to remove/hide player models and also projectiles? I am trying out some video effects and I want to record a demo with effectively the player model and any projectiles fired hidden/removed so you'd basically hear but not see them (will turn particles off ao you can't see the trails etc).

Is it possible and if so how to go about doing it, is there any commands etc?

Thanks.

I really doubt someone thought it could be a useful thing to implement.

If it's for the purpose of video editing, you could always replace (or rather override with a pk3 or pk3dir) the model assets to make them null models instead. The tricky part is finding null models with the right format, and then I'm not even sure that's going to work at all because the engine might complain about missing bones or somesuch.

It's not an easy task and I doubt I can help you directly there. But to summarize, you'll have to create a zzz_kojnsinvisiblemodels.pk3dir in your data directory that has a copy of a null model for every model you want to hide, using the same path as the original file. For example, you'll copy null.iqm to zzz_kojnsinvisiblemodels.pk3dir/models/player/erebus.iqm.

This sort of thing does not work all the time, but it does if you're hiding asset-based visuals. I don't know if you can disable forced dynlights for example, but I don't know much at all about this so all hope isn't lost.

Well I am using mega-erebus for basically brightskins, so I guess technically it only needs to be that model so if someone can make a null model just for that in a .pk3 for me I guess that should sort that issue? As for the hiding of projectile's, how would one go about this? I'm sure div or Samual will know ofcourse Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Same thing for projectile models.

EDIT: What is wrong with my instructions, though? You just need a null model, not an entire pk3 full of them. It's easier to ask for a null iqm rather than the additional work that you can do yourself Wink

I am dense with this kind of stuff MrBougo Big Grin

Anyway, I think I got the effect I am looking for in my video editor and by using the right style of config setup so maybe I don't need to do those things I wrote above now Big Grin

But yea, if someone could do me this null model thing MrBougo (SOMEONE). It would help a lot, as I can sort the weapons issue just by hiding them when I record, then re-recording with them showing. I just need a way to hide the model when recording, so if that method you wrote will work and someone can dish me up a simple .pk3 it will be nice Smile

You might not even need to replace the model itself, just add a new empty skin file (e.g. megaerebus.iqm_1.skin) to models/player then select it with sv_defaultplayerskin cvar.
[Image: 230.png]

But sv_defaultplayerskin is a serverside variable that won't affect demos.

However, if what you say works, then kojn could replace the default skin files. kojn, do this then:
  1. Create a directory zzz_invis-megaerebus.pk3dir in your data directory next to all your other pk3 files.
  2. In it, create the directories models\player\
  3. In there, open a text editor and save a file with just a space in it to the following names:
    - megaerebus.iqm_0.skin
    - megaerebus_lod1.iqm_0.skin
    - megaerebus_lod2.iqm_0.skin
    Make sure you're not adding further extensions to the name like .txt!

Would be easier if somebody could make just a pk3 for me with everything I need to make it work, cause I don't really undetstand what to do properly with what you said Mr.Bougo :/

Another side topic. If I have all graphical settings on max pretty much, what options could I use that would give me a low detail model, so the least amount of detail the player model can have?

(12-13-2012, 11:22 AM)kojn^ Wrote: Would be easier if somebody could make just a pk3 for me with everything I need to make it work, cause I don't really undetstand what to do properly with what you said Mr.Bougo :/

Another side topic. If I have all graphical settings on max pretty much, what options could I use that would give me a low detail model, so the least amount of detail the player model can have?

But how are you going to learn! I can't do it for you because I don't know the specifics, I'd have to live chat with you but I really don't have the time.

Please tell me what is not comprehensible in my instructions so I can detail them more, but doing it for you will result in an endless back-and-forth that I really don't want to get into.

I don't think you comprehend how bad I am at this kind of stuff Big Grin I know nothing! Smile

All I basically need is something that I can slot into my data directory and then it removes the player model, that's it Smile

Yep, that works. MegaErebus model now only has a weapon model for me. Should that be removed too (and is there some command to not draw weapon models)?

Edit: put this PK3 file in your data folder and select the Mega Erebus model kojn:

Attached Files
.pk3   zzz_invisible_megaerebus.pk3 (Size: 590 bytes / Downloads: 2)
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

I think I can live with the weapon model still being viewable as the effect/s are not going to effect that, or be really that noticeable.

Edit:- Works a charm PinkRobot. I won't know for definite in regards to the weapon still showing until I manage to record 2 clips and layer my 2 clips over each other to see how it comes out, but I'm fairly confident there should be NO issues.

So for now thank you very much, very close to being able to do a good test of things Smile

(12-13-2012, 02:18 PM)kojn^ Wrote: I don't think you comprehend how bad I am at this kind of stuff Big Grin I know nothing! Smile

All I basically need is something that I can slot into my data directory and then it removes the player model, that's it Smile

Which is why I explained it in simple terms and step by step. Making directories, saving text files... you should be able to do that, no? You should have at least tried, because as it was I felt a little bit insulted.

Now that we know how to do this we should really set up a server that forces the invisible mega erebus player model on the clients (which seems to be possible). Maybe on the most popular servers on April 1st? Big Grin
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(12-14-2012, 03:23 AM)Halogene Wrote: Now that we know how to do this we should really set up a server that forces the invisible mega erebus player model on the clients (which seems to be possible). Maybe on the most popular servers on April 1st? Big Grin

Omg, yes. Tongue

It works perfectly guys, sometimes you will get a black almost shadow like part transparent model, but I only saw this happen twice and it went away after a death/quickly.

Unfortunately whilst my concept idea worked with the model I can't seem to get it to fully work with the weapon so may just ditch the idea, my planned idea still looks quite good mind you!

r_drawenteties 0

this will however remove *every* entity, so pickups etc will also be gone.

Yes, just tried that tZork. Basically it got rid of everything I needed to get rid of..except I wanted the weapon models (as in the weapon you see on your screen) to still be shown. Is that possible?

Probably not. r_drawentities doesn't get you any closer to that goal, so the answer and solutions proposed above stand.

Hello

I can't find any documentation regarding setting up Xonotic. I can't even go full screen with lowered resolution. I get area in the middle that is size of that lowered resolution with black border around it... I even can't write current config to file that I could explore myself...

Besides this I would set some obvious things like in QuakeLive:

-simple items
-simplified textures and mipmaps
-lowered colour bits
-show current frames per second on the screen
etc.

I could discover these things but , come on I'm searching this forum and did not find anything useful. Please help

Fullscreen is meant to run at resolutions that your graphics support. Ideally, at native resolution. If that doesn't work for you, you should play in windowed mode.

Simple items are not in Xonotic 0.6, you would need a git autobuild to get the latest development version to have those.

Cvar discovery is very possible, have you noticed the advanced settings menu? It's in Settings > Misc. There you can filter cvars by name using wildcards, so if you're looking for simple items type "*simple*" without the quotes and it will list the cvars that contain "simple" in their name. That shows me cl_simple_items is the cvar I'm looking for (not sv_simple_items because sv_ is the server cvar prefix.)

An even better way to look for cvars is by using the "apropos" command in the console (shift escape) followed by text. It will tell you what cvars and commands contain the text in their name, value or description. For example: "apropos simple" gives me:
Code:
]]apropos simple
cvar cl_effects_lightningarc_simple is "0" ["0"] custom cvar
cvar cl_movement_airaccel_qw is "1" ["1"] ratio of QW-style air control as opposed to simple acceleration (reduces speed gain when zigzagging) (should match sv_airaccel_qw); when < 0, the speed is clamped against the maximum allowed forward speed after the move
cvar cl_particlegibs is "0" ["0"] simpler gibs
cvar cl_simple_items is "0" ["0"] enable simple items (if server allows)
cvar cl_simpleitems_postfix is "_simple" ["_simple"] posfix to add fo model name when simple items are enabled
cvar gl_vbo is "3" ["3"] make use of GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object extension to store static geometry in video memory for faster rendering, 0 disables VBO allocation or use, 1 enables VBOs for vertex and triangle data, 2 only for vertex data, 3 for vertex data and triangle data of simple meshes (ones with only one surface)
cvar sv_airaccel_qw is "-0.8" ["-0.8"] ratio of QW-style air control as opposed to simple acceleration; when < 0, the speed is clamped against the maximum allowed forward speed after the move
cvar sv_simple_items is "1" ["1"] allow or forbid client use of simple items
8 results

You can get the description for a cvar by typing its name in the console (or the beginning of it) and pressing tab.

To answer your more specific questions:
- cl_simple_items 1
- gl_picmip and gl_picmip_world (type gl_picmip and press tab)
- not sure what you mean with "colour bits" ?
- showfps 1

[edit]
>.< bougo beat me ...
ayways

[Image: 1Z6n6cRi29M2GGafLxwmEh]
I dont know about your full screen issue ... you would need to state your system specs for us to have any idea what is happening there ...

simple items are not done yet ... (they are still in development) http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=2766
simplified textures are through picmip ... I believe there is a checkbox in the effect settings too
lowered color bits (i assume you want 16) is in video settings
show fps is in misc settings ... or player view settings ... cant remember ....

but seriously ... how hard is it to look through the setting tabs ...
also under misc ... there is a "advanced settings" button that leads to a full list of all the cvars ... you can then search it (using * as a wildcard)
you can also use the console by pressing [~] ...

Thanks a lot for prompt answers Smile Like I said I play QL so setting my own config an executing it in autoexec is the way I set it up and most quakers, so I don't check every option in menu Smile In every moment we can write config to file. The option for resolution and fullscreen was easy to find and it didn't worked out how it suppose to be or I'm missing something.

The issue with display is that I get the size of game like the size of windowed mode and not having it stretched to full size , but with black area around it.

You can have an autoexec.cfg in Xonotic as well, in your data directory (you can find out where that is by looking for the file config.cfg, use this console command for that: which config.cfg). I'm not sure it works the same way as QL. Our autoexec is empty and edited with a text editor. It has priority over config.cfg, which is automatically written when you exit the game to match the menu's options.

(12-17-2012, 03:10 PM)szlovak Wrote: -lowered colour bits

16-bit colour is available as said through the menu or cvar but does not look very good. Bear in mind that Xonotic and pretty much every game from the last decade is intended to run at 32-bit colour, therefore not everything works OK in 16-bit colour. Realtime lighting for example looks very strange in 16-bit. Also with graphics hardware from the last decade their is no performance improvement over 32-bit and you may find more problems in drivers or hardware using 16-bit colour. I wouldn't bother.

(12-17-2012, 03:10 PM)szlovak Wrote: The option for resolution and fullscreen was easy to find and it didn't worked out how it suppose to be or I'm missing something

What computer hardware and software are you running? Most likely their is some bad graphics driver problem. Do you have problems running this resolution on any other game or on your desktop environment? There is a cvar which I can't remember now which allows the scene to be rendered at a different resolution and scaled up, allowing a fallback if the driver is not able to size the screen correctly but it is not so fast I seem to remember.

What resolution are you trying to run?
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Your Favorite Maps cushinga 6 1,633 03-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,181 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,397 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 8,007 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Information We want your help Samual 35 34,833 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? unfa 147 153,123 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Wii-Wii
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,477 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Here's my fair share Scorpion 8 8,134 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  Pythonistas, please raise your hand Dokujisan 13 10,688 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spyroviper
  ITT: post your WASD teams 9 10,672 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin