Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Ask your questions about Xonotic here

Hi Mirui,

thanks for the info, Mirui. I checked the links but there wasn't any info on libcurl. It did answer some other questions I had in mind though. Anyway, I found libcurl and installed it via USC. Btw, who updates the version of Xonotic on Desura? The first time I downloaded and installed it via Desura, but they're still on version 0.6.

And just in case another newb comes here and takes a look at this thread: after you have extracted desura 0.7 into your home directory, you have to start the game by running "xonotic-linux64-glx". I didn't try SDL, frankly I don't understand what the difference between the two is.

I just played two or three rounds and I must say, I am impressed. Cube0wl is right, this game looks and feels much more modern than Nexuiz. It runs faster too.

I am very pleased.

The two binaries offer different ways to the engine to handle your hardware, so if you notice some strange lag in controls, you can try both binaries, and it might solve it. There should be no main difference, though SDL might run MARGINALLY faster. (aka.: you will only notice difference with benchmarking).
There is only one big difference on Linux: if you have a multimonitor setup, you should use the glx binary in 0.7, as SDL will simply strech the game on all monitors. In git versions this was fixed, however, if you'd like to alt+tab in and out from the game, you still need to use the glx binary.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

Hi Cube,

aah I see. So far I don't have any issues via the glx binary whatsoever, so I'll continue to use that one. I'm on Nvidia hardware though. Let's see how it goes on Amd. I invited my brother to play the game. He is the one using Amd hardware in his laptop. I tend to stick with Nvidia for Linux gaming, because their drivers are often better and faster for native and Wine based games on Ubuntu.

Thx for the info regarding the multimonitor setup. It might come in handy one day.

I'll login for some action right now but I'll come back here just in case I have more questions. Again - thx for making it so easy to download and run on Linux. I really look forward to future releases. Maybe even via USC one day. Smile

BTW, while Xonotic and Nexiuz are Quake-LIKES, OpenArena(google it) is a Quake-CLONE.
[Image: 38843.png]

Shameless plug - don't forget to check out the integrated stats system too. You can find it at stats.xonotic.org. This is another thing that Nexuiz doesn't (and technically can't) have.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

salut Smile

Comment se fait il que nexuiz classic ait eu 6 millions de téléchargements et xonotic pourtant 10 fois mieux beaucoup, même énormément moins que ce record?

Nexuiz is the precedessor of Xonotic, and therefore has been much longer available than Xonotic. Also, Nexuiz had a quite big player base that broke apart to some extent when the fork happened.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

OK merci Smile

Is there a way to download a git snapshot of the Xonotic code instead of pulling the whole thing? I couldn't find an option to download a tarball. I'd like to be able to get snapshots of specific commits.

We do not offer downloads for individual commits. The reason for this is that it would be quite taxing on our servers, because if you download as much as two commits it will stop being an economy of bandwidth.

What is wrong with a full clone? Here, my compressed git object files are as big as my working directory (i.e. the current state of the project, uncompressed).

(05-01-2014, 03:55 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: We do not offer downloads for individual commits. The reason for this is that it would be quite taxing on our servers, because if you download as much as two commits it will stop being an economy of bandwidth.

What is wrong with a full clone? Here, my compressed git object files are as big as my working directory (i.e. the current state of the project, uncompressed).

A full clone is more than 5 GB to download, taking hours on most connections.

Is it possible to clone just the game and be able to compile it, without the mediasource repository? This could be much faster.

(05-01-2014, 04:27 AM)Calinou Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 03:55 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: We do not offer downloads for individual commits. The reason for this is that it would be quite taxing on our servers, because if you download as much as two commits it will stop being an economy of bandwidth.

A full clone is more than 5 GB to download, taking hours on most connections.

Is it possible to clone just the game and be able to compile it, without the mediasource repository? This could be much faster.

A snapshot would be more than 5 G to download as well.

The mediasource repo is not included in a default full clone and is not required to compile the game. My mediasource git objects are 1.2 G, my data git objects 1.3 G, and my maps git objects 2.7 G (in terms of data, it's mostly textures).

The one economy you can make on a clone is to not download netradiant. The git objects for it are 36 M.

If you don't want to download three gigabytes of raw textures, get an autobuild I guess. Don't autobuilds also include the full source code to the engine and gamecode?

Hey, I have a short technical question:
How do I get Xonotic to "stretch" my lower-than-native resolution to the whole screen? Whenever I choose a lower resolution, it appears in fullscreen as a window with blackness around it. I don't have it with any other game, so I suppose there is some command for that... Any ideas?

I am on windows 7 with an NVIDIA GT 630M in my notebook, if it is of any relevance Smile

Thanks in advance
LoverTaleb

I haven't heard of this happening before :X

Have you tried both glx/wgl and sdl executables?

Thanks for the hint and quick answer, Bougie! I just tried it and sadly, my problem applies for all executables :/
LoverTaleb

In that case, I'm out of ideas :<

Try opening the console in the game (shift escape), then type the following
Code:
vid_desktopfullscreen 1
vid_restart
maybe?

(05-22-2014, 12:40 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: In that case, I'm out of ideas :<

Try opening the console in the game (shift escape), then type the following
Code:
vid_desktopfullscreen 1
vid_restart
maybe?

Well, if you mean vid_fullscreen (didn't find the command vid_desktopfullscreen for some reason), trust me, it is enabled. Just the resolution doesn't get on the full screen but only in the area that the resolution actually is. :/
LoverTaleb

Maybe check the onscreen menu of the monitor itself. Some times applications handle the scaling themselves, maybe Xonotic doesn't and you'd have to enable it in the monitor?
My Xonstats Profile

No, I did mean vid_desktopfullscreen. But I didn't realize that isn't part of 0.7, which means it's only available in development versions. That's one thing to try if you're willing to.

I'm really out of ideas now. Sorry Sad

OK, it seemed to be some graphics card /driver / whatever problem. I tested changing the resolution in the windows system settings => same thing. ctrl-alt-f11 fixed it Big Grin
Thanks to you two for trying to help.
LoverTaleb

(05-24-2014, 09:38 AM)N1mbus Wrote: OK, it seemed to be some graphics card /driver / whatever problem. I tested changing the resolution in the windows system settings => same thing. ctrl-alt-f11 fixed it Big Grin
Thanks to you two for trying to help.

Fantastic! I have few friends who quit Xonotic because they couldn't solve this, maybe we'll get them back now!

How would I paste a command into console? On windows it works fine, but on Linux the window is fullscreen.

The command is here.

Try to locate your config "config.cfg" and open it with a text editor. Then you can put it straight into it.

Windows it would be in ~\SavedGames\xonotic\data , Linux I don't know. Tongue

Or you try to disable fullscreen mode for that:

Code:
vid_fullscreen 0
vid_restart

vid_fullscreen 1 turns it on again.

On linux: ~/.xonotic/data

I recommend to generate new config files if you want to switch between several, then you can execute them from within Xonotic via console with "exec yourconfig.cfg".
My Xonstats Profile

Do you know how long 0.8.0 will take before we can download it?
[Image: 22172.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Your Favorite Maps cushinga 6 1,631 03-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,178 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,394 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 8,002 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Information We want your help Samual 35 34,829 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? unfa 147 153,090 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Wii-Wii
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,455 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Here's my fair share Scorpion 8 8,131 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  Pythonistas, please raise your hand Dokujisan 13 10,687 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spyroviper
  ITT: post your WASD teams 9 10,672 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin