Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Ask your questions about Xonotic here

Question 
Hey- long time no see Big Grin

This is a bit off-topical, as I'm rather asking about how Xonotic works, but I guess General should fit the question.

I'm making a little multiplayer FPS with a friend using Godot game engine and I am wondering how to deal with players walking up and down stairs.

How is it done in Xonotic? It seems most games use invisible ramps that players slide up and down, but it doesn't seem like the best solution to me: making levels will require a quite a lot more work and create possible errors.

How does stair traversal work in Xonotic? How did Quake do it? Is there some special logic or invisible colliders? If so, what logic is there? How does it work?

If you're wondering what's the game we're making like, here's the source code:
https://github.com/unfa/liblast
And a video (will get outdated fast):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3KvNeu4X54

Thanks Big Grin
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Well, I never made ladders, but I saw how they do it. You can make a column (from the thickest at the bottom to the thinnest at the top). There is netradiant such as trigger_ladder. He makes a full ladder
|¯¯|
|¯¯¯|                                                         
|¯¯¯¯|                                                      /__
|¯¯¯¯¯|                                                    \   \
 ¯¯¯¯¯¯                                                           |
but you have to jump if you choose this method.
The trigger_ladder makes a vacuum at the location you specified.
My maps:
CTF: Trident_ctf, Moon terror;
DM: Checkfriend, Last man standing remix (ctf);
Duel: tempullit, X air walker;
Kota-dooM: Kota-dooM, Kota-dooM4 (-2);
Race: Map packs;
Special: Triangle, Mid space 'em.

You can check out my other maps here.

A video from unfa without music -.-
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

The logic Quake and Xonotic both use is fairly simple: while moving, if a wall of any size is encountered, the physics code moves the player up as far as the maximum step height, then moves them forward and snaps the player to the ground if any forward progress is made. If that fails it simply reverts the player to their original position, effectively undoing the step.
You can see that logic in action here: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic-data....es.qc#L200

Best of luck with your project!
[Image: 230.png]

Thread "exe.pub instagib dm - how to disable annoying strafe (?) HUD overlay" formerly opened by me this year, and competently answered by a member here, formerly located at https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.ph...7#pid85987 according to my history, is no more, and I surely did not delete my thread.
  • Why was it deleted? You realize that this is totally contraproductive to documentation when it comes to help threads?
  • Thanks for the repeat lesson that if you like something on the internet, you better download it ASAP to your own storage.
  • Could somebody tell me the answer again, because I can't obviously look it up anymore, and I have another server with the same effect on a specific map on Eris, so I'd like to know the cvar again. This is about the same bar that shows up on defrag which sometimes shows up needlessly in non-defrag mode, and I'd like to know the cvar that removes it from the screen.
Thank you.
[Image: badge]

How do i quote someones name in chat? I seen user doingt hat quite fast. How do you do that?

Try pressing the first letter of their name and then press TAB. Supposedly it will complete the rest. However, if they use non-alphabetic characters, symbols, then you can't type it, and thus no completion is available.

Thank you, that worked Smile

I know that since 0.8.2 release Scoreboard is the HUD panel. Also there are translation strings presented for this panel on Transifex. How can I see this panel in the HUD editor?

update: Mihalych127 from discord said there is no way.

This is how I smoothed out my Xonotic experience and got a better, more stable, Internet connection.

I write this because of a discussion I've had with Drummyfish, Gravikappa, and others, about optimizing the net (router) for Xonotic. To reduce net lag and eliminate buffer issues.

First I upgraded my client distro to the latest which is Linux Mint 20 (Ubuntu 20.04).
Then I fixed most upgrade-errors and upgraded/updated everything to the best of my ability, also installed the latest Linux release of Nvidia 455 for my GTX960.
I then recompiled Xonotic to the latest GIT and ran the SDL executable.

I noticed that Xonotic loaded faster but the net and in-game experience was still somewhat unstable, a clear sign of bufferbloat which occasionally blocked the stream. This is only occurring sometimes but on a regular basis with intervals, like every 10 sec I could feel that my weapon switching was suffering, especially in demanding situations. After the "bufferbloat" fix I did not detect any abnormalities again and no more laggy incidents during the game. Overall, it has helped tremendously and made Xonotic much smoother. I know that the server can be stressed and make it hard to play, but if my side of the equation is optimized then it really makes it a better experience no-matter how the server is running.

So what did I do?

I moved on to eliminate "bufferbloat" on my 500 Mb/s Fiber connection.

I have OpenWrt installed on a Linksys EA8500 router which is bridged to my ISP. I run the firewall on my router. I'm in control, no x2 NAT.

I installed the "luci-app-sqm" Qos application on OpenWrt. Smart Queue Management (SQM).

Configured it to max allow around 85% of my actual DL/UP (ingress/egress) speed through.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Download speed (kbit/s) (ingress): 470000 Kb/s
Upload speed (kbit/s) (egress): 470000 Kb/s

Queuing disciplines: fq_codel
Queue setup script: simple.qos
Advanced settings: untouched

Link Layer Adaption: Ethernet with Overhead (VDSL)
Per Packet Overhead (byte): 44

----------------------------------------------------------------

I rebooted the Router, tested the bufferbloat once again and it went from grade C to A+. This is tested on: https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

The SQM app details: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/netw...qm-details
A little more tuning: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/netw...sqm_tuning

As you see I choose to use fq_codel and simple.qos instead of cake which is recommended by OpenWrt and DSLreports to eliminate bufferbloat. I remember that I used fq_codel with Nexuiz on m0n0wall and pfsense previously, many moons ago, so fq_codel works fine for me on different distributions. At that time the Internet was ADSL 20/1 Mb/s on shitty copper far away from the central running on simple hardware, but I had to use Qos on that too because it had bufferbloat. This indicates that everyone have problem with bufferbloat but are ignorant of the fact that this causes choking while playing online on servers. So every time you feel that the server is lagging, how can you be sure that it is the server lagging and not your very own network that is choking? The only way to be sure is to fix it on your end.

The only negative thing is that the EA8500 only can push 50% of it's DL speed now but it is far than enough for our use. The positive thing is that we have eliminated bufferbloat and network constagation is smoothed out so that every FPS game launched will have optimal circumstances to perform at it's best. In my Xonotic experience it was like going from rain into sunlight, it was really that obvious, also when just browsing the net, the pages loads faster now.

So all-in-all, this is what you have to do to eliminate some of the network choking experiences you have got so far. In my experience it was the bufferbloat (choking) which was the culprit, after the Qos was setup Xon/Internet felt like butter.

Try it out and don't let the net be the cause of your frustration, set it up correctly and you will see the improvement immediately and that is in everything net-related. Feels like a new ISP Smile - if it was a fluke and only a one time experience and the server ran nicely and with only a few people, at night, only time will tell. I will test it out over a longer period of time, maybe make a few changes and tune it further, but right now it is GOLD. Previously it made my game better with nexuiz, for longer periods of time, this is why this is the best method to get Xon to play nicely with online servers. An unmanaged setup default to your ISP is a death sentence, Covid for the Internet, no more air to breath. You have to setup Qos no matter what and cap that spike-noise out. Remember to choose fq_codel first and try it out before moving on to more exotic cake solutions, it really depends on what Router-OS you have installed, most supports fq_codel though.

FAF
FAF - FERIS - COPENHAGEN - DENMARK - GNU/Linux  Heart
Homepage: https://feris-xonotic.net

I'm having problems dropping buffs -- neither key for "drop flag/key (+use)" nor "drop weapon (dropweapon)" works. Is there another command that I should use?

Also, related -- are these cases true:

1. I cannot drop buffs in a CTF

2. I cannot drop buffs in CA (since I cannot drop weapons)?

Thanks!

Buff can drop, if cvar g_buffs_drop set 1
My maps:
CTF: Trident_ctf, Moon terror;
DM: Checkfriend, Last man standing remix (ctf);
Duel: tempullit, X air walker;
Kota-dooM: Kota-dooM, Kota-dooM4 (-2);
Race: Map packs;
Special: Triangle, Mid space 'em.

You can check out my other maps here.

Buff dropping was disabled by default, as indeed, it interferes with CTF and other gamemodes which rely on a drop key. It also became unnecessary when certain undesirable buffs were disabled (such as the Jump buff), so it's generally preferred to keep the picked up buff.
Additionally, constantly dropping and cycling through buffs at a pickup spot is more so an exploit of game mechanics than desired behaviour.

Makes sense. Thanks a lot!

If i make one map, can i upload them? :3

Hello,
Can you be more specific? Where would you like to upload it?
If you want your map on a particular server, you can ask the server admin.
You can also publish your map in the adequate forum section, this way it can be reviewed and people may host it on their servers if they like it.

hi, i'm new to the game and i have some config questions:

1. is it possible to make ALL enemymodels red in ALL game modes? i'm used to having that in QL and i keep shooting my teammates when i'm in blue team O_o
2. is it possible to force all enemy models to be a certain model and all teammates another one? because right now, if i hear someone coming, i cant differentiate if its a friend or foe
3. can i disable the "I'M ON YOUR TEAM!" sound?

thanks in advance! really nice game you've got there.

(12-08-2020, 09:56 PM)KapitänSirSnakefoi Wrote: hi, i'm new to the game and i have some config questions:

1. is it possible to make ALL enemymodels red in ALL game modes? i'm used to having that in QL and i keep shooting my teammates when i'm in blue team O_o
2. is it possible to force all enemy models to be a certain model and all teammates another one? because right now, if i hear someone coming, i cant differentiate if its a friend or foe

In the console (open with the ~ key) type "apropos forcemodel" and "apropos autotaunt". I forgot the exact cvar names but they should be something among those lines, these commands should list them.

(12-08-2020, 10:14 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 09:56 PM)KapitänSirSnakefoi Wrote: hi, i'm new to the game and i have some config questions:

In the console (open with the ~ key) type "apropos forcemodel" and "apropos autotaunt". I forgot the exact cvar names but they should be something among those lines, these commands should list them.
hey there, thanks for your quick reply.

i only found cl_forceplayermodels, but that doesn't help anyhow because it makes mine and the enemy's models the same :/

cl_autotaunt is already set to "0".

it should be cl_forceplayercolors 1. Keep in mind it will have the same color as you set for yourself then. In general check out the Halogene Noob Guide. https://www.xonotic.org/guide/#visuals

(12-09-2020, 08:11 AM)NoClue Wrote: it should be cl_forceplayercolors 1. Keep in mind it will have the same color as you set for yourself then. In general check out the Halogene Noob Guide. https://www.xonotic.org/guide/#visuals

even though that didn't answer my questions, it helped me out with many other ones that so far i didn't know i had Big Grin

thanks a bunch dude! Smile

hey i've got another question:
i've been tinkerin on my cfg the last days and when i started the game today, i noticed that my crosshair/screen bobs up and down (like a recoil effect) when shooting with any weapon. it seems to me that this hasn't been the case yesterday!? when i type "apropos bob", all bob-related commands are set to 0.

or has it been like this all the time and i didn't realize it?

then again, i'm quite sure that until yesterday the crosshair and the screen didn't move when shooting..

The recoil effect when shooting is a server-side setting that can't be turned off on the client. If you own the server or wish to test locally, the setting to switch it off is g_norecoil 1

(12-13-2020, 04:31 AM)Mario Wrote: The recoil effect when shooting is a server-side setting that can't be turned off on the client. If you own the server or wish to test locally, the setting to switch it off is g_norecoil 1

thank you!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Your Favorite Maps cushinga 6 1,628 03-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,178 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,393 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 8,001 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Information We want your help Samual 35 34,828 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? unfa 147 153,090 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Wii-Wii
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,455 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Here's my fair share Scorpion 8 8,130 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  Pythonistas, please raise your hand Dokujisan 13 10,687 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spyroviper
  ITT: post your WASD teams 9 10,672 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin