Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.82 Average
Ask your questions about Xonotic here

What is the impact of a good rig on possible player performance? I have the same ping as Testing (30-50), but  my FPS are capped at 60Hz and I'm playing on lowest settings without textures on a Intel HD4400 w/ i5-4210U, so I'm often getting FPS of 20-40 or lower depending on player count even with minimal particles/effects (without it really looks like shit).
So I'm an average player towards the upper middle I assume; I still get my ass kicked by Jeff & Julius & Jay & Testing on the regular but perform fairly with small player counts (= less effects, less projectiles and such). On the other hand there are players like Gandalf with ping 90 or so but FPS stabiliy in the 100-200 range who also kick my ass seemingly easier than it should be. In particular I don't often seem to have the time to react even if pings are about equal.

Am I just plateauing at a mediocre skill level or generally handicapped  (Xonotic is literally the only game besides tome4 which I've been playing during the last 10 years, go figure) or does decent hardware make the game really so much more easier to play than my lame ass Thinkpad which kicks me down to any FPS between 10 and 60? (60 FPS = don't move on map or stare into the black void).
[Image: badge]

Hi, I have some more noob questions:

1. Is it possible to disable the map background picture so that the background is just black (like in evilspace_nex for example)?
2. Is it possible to reduce the base of the game? My headphones are very bass heavy..
3. Why is there a "seta" in front of some commands in the config?
4. I have created my own config file called "mine.cfg". Now I've learned the following things:
  • When I exec mine.cfg and then quit the game, all the stuff from mine.cfg gets stored into config.cfg
  • When the game is started, config.cfg is loaded
  • When the server changes the map, config.cfg is loaded
My problem: In mine.cfg I have changed the scoreboard setting to include ELO and other stuff. BUT somehow this is the only setting, that will not get saved into config.cfg. This means that EVERY TIME I start the game or the server changes the map, I have to re-exec mine.cfg, to get my panel settings. How can I solve this problem? I already deleted config.cfg and just renamed mine.cfg to config.cfg but it did not work either.

(01-20-2021, 09:20 PM)KapitänSirSnakefoi Wrote: Hi, I have some more noob questions:

1. Is it possible to disable the map background picture so that the background is just black (like in evilspace_nex for example)?
2. Is it possible to reduce the base of the game? My headphones are very bass heavy..
4. I have created my own config file called "mine.cfg". Now I've learned the following things:
  • When I exec mine.cfg and then quit the game, all the stuff from mine.cfg gets stored into config.cfg
My problem: In mine.cfg I have changed the scoreboard setting to include ELO and other stuff. BUT somehow this is the only setting, that will not get saved into config.cfg. This means that EVERY TIME I start the game or the server changes the map, I have to re-exec mine.cfg, to get my panel settings. How can I solve this problem? I already deleted config.cfg and just renamed mine.cfg to config.cfg but it did not work either.

To answer the ones I know: I don't know if disabling the menu background is possible with a cvar, but try different menu skins in the settings and see if one of them does that. seta usually refers to a setting that's persisted in the config, while set typically implies you only set it for that session, though if it's only for one map / game you'll want to use settemp instead. If you want a variable change to execute each startup, create a file called autoexec.cfg and add set / seta lines there (eg: "set g_something 1").

(01-20-2021, 10:36 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 09:20 PM)KapitänSirSnakefoi Wrote: Hi, I have some more noob questions:

To answer the ones I know: I don't know if disabling the menu background is possible with a cvar, but try different menu skins in the settings and see if one of them does that. seta usually refers to a setting that's persisted in the config, while set typically implies you only set it for that session, though if it's only for one map / game you'll want to use settemp instead. If you want a variable change to execute each startup, create a file called autoexec.cfg and add set / seta lines there (eg: "set g_something 1").
Hey, thanks for the reply.

This is my string:
scoreboard_columns_set ping pl elo name | -teams,race,lms/kills +ft,tdm/kills -teams,lms/deaths +ft,tdm/deaths -teams,lms,race,ka,dm,tdm/suicides +ft/suicides +dm,tdm,ca,kh,lms/damage +dm,tdm,ca,kh,lms/dmgtaken -race,dm,tdm,ka,ft/frags +ctf/caps +ctf/pickups +ctf/fckills +ctf/returns +lms/lives +lms/rank +kh/caps +kh/pushes +kh/destroyed +race/laps ?+race/time ?+race/fastest +as/objectives +nexball/faults +nexball/goals +ka/pickups +ka/bckills +ka/bctime +ft/revivals -lms,race,nexball/score

I have put it in an autoexec.cfg, I have put it there with "seta" in front, I have put it in my own cfg with seta in front, I have entered just "exec mine.cfg" into the autoexec.cfg but nothing works. Each and every time I start the game the scoreboard gets reset to default.

I guess I just bind it to my join game button. Like "bind Enter team_auto; exec mine.cfg".

Code:
alias scoreboard "scoreboard_columns_set ping pl elo name | -teams,race,lms/kills +ft,tdm/kills -teams,lms/deaths +ft,tdm/deaths -teams,lms,race,ka,dm,tdm/suicides +ft/suicides +dm,tdm,ca,kh,lms/damage +dm,tdm,ca,kh,lms/dmgtaken -race,dm,tdm,ka,ft/frags +ctf/caps +ctf/pickups +ctf/fckills +ctf/returns +lms/lives +lms/rank +kh/caps +kh/pushes +kh/destroyed +race/laps ?+race/time ?+race/fastest +as/objectives +nexball/faults +nexball/goals +ka/pickups +ka/bckills +ka/bctime +ft/revivals -lms,race,nexball/score"

alias cl_hook_gamestart_all "scoreboard"

This is how I do it (in autoexec.cfg). Sometimes it won't load it when watching demos but entering "scoreboard" (or whatever alias name you choose) in console will always load it up.

(01-21-2021, 04:34 PM)Mirio Wrote:
Code:
alias scoreboard "scoreboard_columns_set ping pl elo name | -teams,race,lms/kills +ft,tdm/kills -teams,lms/deaths +ft,tdm/deaths -teams,lms,race,ka,dm,tdm/suicides +ft/suicides +dm,tdm,ca,kh,lms/damage +dm,tdm,ca,kh,lms/dmgtaken -race,dm,tdm,ka,ft/frags +ctf/caps +ctf/pickups +ctf/fckills +ctf/returns +lms/lives +lms/rank +kh/caps +kh/pushes +kh/destroyed +race/laps ?+race/time ?+race/fastest +as/objectives +nexball/faults +nexball/goals +ka/pickups +ka/bckills +ka/bctime +ft/revivals -lms,race,nexball/score"

alias cl_hook_gamestart_all "scoreboard"

This is how I do it (in autoexec.cfg). Sometimes it won't load it when watching demos but entering "scoreboard" (or whatever alias name you choose) in console will always load it up.

this works, thanks a lot!!

Quoting the first part of the help message printed by scoreboard_columns_help (git/autobuild version):
Code:
You can modify the scoreboard using the scoreboard_columns_set command.
Usage:
scoreboard_columns_set default
scoreboard_columns_set field1 field2 ...
scoreboard_columns_set without arguments reads the arguments from the cvar scoreboard_columns
  Note: scoreboard_columns_set without arguments is executed on every map start
scoreboard_columns_set expand_default loads default layout and expands it into the cvar scoreboard_columns so you can edit it

So if you save your settings to scoreboard_columns they are automatically applied every time, without executing scoreboard_columns_set in the cl_hook_gamestart_all hook.

@Mirio doing so will probably fixes your problem with demos.

Hi all. Superb Game! I have 2 questions:

1. How do I set Xonotic to auto join the game? Every server I connect I have to manually enter the game by pressing F5.

2. What is the most active hours (GMT)  (players in-game) to play it online? It is saturday 03:30 GMT and there are only a few 5 players online.

Thanks

(01-23-2021, 05:17 AM)terencehill Wrote: Quoting the first part of the help message printed by scoreboard_columns_help (git/autobuild version):
Code:
You can modify the scoreboard using the scoreboard_columns_set command.
Usage:
scoreboard_columns_set default
scoreboard_columns_set field1 field2 ...
scoreboard_columns_set without arguments reads the arguments from the cvar scoreboard_columns
  Note: scoreboard_columns_set without arguments is executed on every map start
scoreboard_columns_set expand_default loads default layout and expands it into the cvar scoreboard_columns so you can edit it

So if you save your settings to scoreboard_columns they are automatically applied every time, without executing scoreboard_columns_set in the cl_hook_gamestart_all hook.
That sounds interesting, but when I try using scoreboard_columns it says "unknown command"!?

Try again, scoreboard_columns should exist, maybe you misspelled it.

(01-20-2021, 09:20 PM)KapitänSirSnakefoi Wrote: 1. Is it possible to disable the map background picture so that the background is just black (like in evilspace_nex for example)?

r_sky 0

Also, handy to know if you write "apropos searchword" into console without quote marks, the console will list all variables that has your search word in the command line or description. If you know what you're looking for, you can find almost anything with this.

How do I know if I have been banned from a server and why? This happened to me a couple of times that, when I was winning, the game kicks me out and I cannot get back in.
I can see the server information and who is in.
Server ip is 5.199.143.200:26000

(01-26-2021, 10:38 AM)terencehill Wrote: Try again, scoreboard_columns should exist, maybe you misspelled it.
I enter "scoreboard" and press tab, then it says "3 possible aliases" under which there is no scoreboard_columns. Just scoreboard_columns_set

(01-26-2021, 09:30 PM)Smilecythe Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 09:20 PM)KapitänSirSnakefoi Wrote: 1. Is it possible to disable the map background picture so that the background is just black (like in evilspace_nex for example)?

r_sky 0

Also, handy to know if you write "apropos searchword" into console without quote marks, the console will list all variables that has your search word in the command line or description. If you know what you're looking for, you can find almost anything with this.
Thank you! I was indeed looking with the apropos command, but I was looking with "background" and other stuff, not "sky".. Smile

Hi!
1. There is no way to automatically enter the game, and that's intended (or if there i sone i'm not aware at all). But you can press <jump>, it will auto-select the team.
2. I usually find most players around 20h GMT. But if you play in Vanilla there is often a lot of people out there, even tho sometimes you'll be alone in the whole game.

(01-30-2021, 11:45 PM)KapitänSirSnakefoi Wrote:
(01-26-2021, 10:38 AM)terencehill Wrote: Try again, scoreboard_columns should exist, maybe you misspelled it.
I enter "scoreboard" and press tab, then it says "3 possible aliases" under which there is no scoreboard_columns. Just scoreboard_columns_set
And above those 2 aliases you should see a list of 25 cvars starting with scoreboard. Which Xonotic version are you running? Are you on a particular server?

I just got a new gaming laptop desktop replacement and wanted to try this "gaming on Windows" thing for the first time, ever. After downloading the latest autobuild from beta.xonotic.org, I notice that the build timestamp on the Windows executables is from 2020-03-23, whereas the Linux executables are up to date, with timestamps that match the zipball's creation date.

Question:
  • Are the Windows builds broken and/or outdated? If yes, what's the problem?
  • Is it required to compile for Windows myself if I want to get the latest Xonotic on Windows?
  • Can I do something to unblock Windows builds in the Xonotic CI or something, because I'm actually a system engineer?
This "issue" might make me switch to Linux primarily again Wink
[Image: badge]

(03-11-2021, 03:00 PM)R+e^i Wrote: I just got a new gaming laptop desktop replacement and wanted to try this "gaming on Windows" thing for the first time, ever. After downloading the latest autobuild from beta.xonotic.org, I notice that the build timestamp on the Windows executables is from 2020-03-23, whereas the Linux executables are up to date, with timestamps that match the zipball's creation date.

Question:
  • Are the Windows builds broken and/or outdated? If yes, what's the problem?
  • Is it required to compile for Windows myself if I want to get the latest Xonotic on Windows?
  • Can I do something to unblock Windows builds in the Xonotic CI or something, because I'm actually a system engineer?
This "issue" might make me switch to Linux primarily again Wink

There have been no engine code changes since Mar 23 2020 - that's why. The engine has a development branch with newer code, but it is not ready to release yet.

In other words: both binaries are equally current. Different file dates may be an artifact of our build system.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

How to set Zoom Fov? I know there is the command cl_zoomfactor. Tough i actually would like to know what the actual fov while zooming is (i want to copy my Quake settings)
Anyone has a clue how zoomfactor actually works?

**Edit**
Meh, i'm stupid. I think it just divides the current FOV through that factor? For example if i set a Fov of 100 and a zoomfactor of 5 it would actually mean 100/5 = Fov 20 while zooming.

I was playing clan arena this morning, and the first time I spectated I saw that the player was constantly vortexing very precisely at targets, but strangely they were obstructed by walls for the most time. It didn't look exactly like a classic aimbot though (like from Quake 3 days). The movements were rather smooth and not jittery, not turning back and forth 180th degrees all the time and such. When I complained the player disconnected very briefly after.
Then just now the other teammates discovered that one player was not shooting back and just running around. He didn't seem to target anything. He just looked at the floor, was walking around and was (at times?) shooting the Vortex constantly. It pretty much looked like a neural network that had been left alone and trained for a week or so.

Are there even any wallhacks and aimbots for Xonotic? I rarely play and only for a week at times or so. I have never seen such a thing in Xonotic even.
Visit our clan website: http://extreme.voltage.nz/

You might have just seen a very good player, but who knows. Hacking is not very prevalent in this game, but that doesn't mean it never happens.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

I tried downloading the newest Beta Build from the Autobuilds list but it keeps telling mr it will take 3 to 5 days, is there anyway to get a torrent for this ?
thanls in advance for the response.

Hello All,

I was wondering if would be able to use footage of this game in a television pilot?

Thank you

(10-31-2021, 12:50 PM)Gammeproductions Wrote: Hello All,

I was wondering if would be able to use footage of this game in a television pilot?

Thank you

Curious what you're making with it. Some time ago it already ended in a TV production with some guy -rather blurry- playing it in the background iirc. Concerns then were if it would have been used in a plot where for example some psycho playing it to hype theirself up for a killing spree. That would be an unfortunate depiction.

(11-01-2021, 02:46 AM)_para Wrote:
(10-31-2021, 12:50 PM)Gammeproductions Wrote: Hello All,

Thank you

Curious what you're making with it. Some time ago it already ended in a TV production with some guy -rather blurry- playing it in the background iirc. Concerns then were if it would have been used in a plot where for example some psycho playing it to hype theirself up for a killing spree. That would be an unfortunate depiction.

It would be used in the background for a music based show for ages 14-17. The character would be playing it while talking to their dad. There is no connection to any form of violence during the pilot/scene.

Thanks

(11-02-2021, 08:46 AM)Gammeproductions Wrote: It would be used in the background for a music based show for ages 14-17. The character would be playing it while talking to their dad. There is no connection to any form of violence during the pilot/scene.

Thanks

I guess you're free to go then. Would be nice if you could somehow share the final product/scene with us. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Your Favorite Maps cushinga 6 1,626 03-14-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: [CISN] Neigdoig
Rainbow What's your favorite color? Or which color you use in game? Kotangens 1 1,178 09-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  FPS Showdown - Go submit your best frags! Smilecythe 4 4,392 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Why is your server empth 24/7 slowtwitch 10 8,001 06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
Last Post: end user
Information We want your help Samual 35 34,827 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Leroy
  Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? unfa 147 153,090 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Wii-Wii
  WoX-BloX needs your help! CuBe0wL 14 11,455 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  Here's my fair share Scorpion 8 8,130 10-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  Pythonistas, please raise your hand Dokujisan 13 10,687 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Spyroviper
  ITT: post your WASD teams 9 10,671 06-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin