Create an account

Poll: Should Xonotic come with duel as official game-mode?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, it would make serverlist look more organized (gamemode wise)
86.96%
20 86.96%
No, leave it only as configuration
13.04%
3 13.04%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Official duel-mode (poll)

Hey guys, what do you think about the idea that Xonotic could come with officially supported duel mode? It feels that physics and the new weapon setting will make this game very very competitivie/esports friendly, however officially it doesnt support one of the most popular esport game-mode, the duel.
Another reason why this could be very useful, because lot of people from other games will immediately look for 1on1 servers, where they can practice and learn with their buddy, and this way the players could filter in the serverlist by gamemode.
Also, duel servers appear as DM servers currently in the serverlist, that can cause quite lot of confusion.

There were lot of 1on1 oriented players in Nexuiz too (most of them are oldies and contributors), it feels weird that duel could be only toggled with server configuration scripts.
Basically every quake-like arcade game support duel mode officially, and Xonotic already has nice maps for it (glowplant, stormkeep, runningman)

You mean to show in the server list "1v1" instead of "dm"? Tongue

I'd like to see a bit stronger weapons and improved physics for a competitive 1v1 "mod". It feels too hactic at the moment and I need ages to kill someone. (Maybe I just dont hit enough Wink)

Yeah Debugger, the serverlist is one of the main reason why I started this thread, as I said it happens really often that a server doesnt contain "1on1" or "duel" in its name, and in the serverlist it appears as DM, tho the guys are playing 1on1 on it. So its basically pointless the connect, unless you wanna spectate some strangers.

Francotirador: good idea.

(01-21-2011, 09:53 AM)Debugger Wrote: I'd like to see a bit stronger weapons and improved physics for a competitive 1v1 "mod". It feels too hactic at the moment and I need ages to kill someone. (Maybe I just dont hit enough Wink)
Exact same remark and request.
Fat.bot.Slim

(01-21-2011, 11:05 AM)Rage_ATWM Wrote:
(01-21-2011, 09:53 AM)Debugger Wrote: I'd like to see a bit stronger weapons and improved physics for a competitive 1v1 "mod". It feels too hactic at the moment and I need ages to kill someone. (Maybe I just dont hit enough Wink)
Exact same remark and request.
It's true, bring the nex of 1.7.x version back is da answer to the problem! =)

Good idea. Making server public for 1on1 will bring people to it.
I like the idea of a Xonotic Official duel/1on1 (pro?)mod.
What is needed for that ?
Awesome, did Qz show you that ?
Nexuiz : I Reach the top5 of the ladder (even top3 I guess). Top1 French for quite some time (when active) of ladder. Top5 of some tournaments (if I remember well)

This seems like a good idea.

Then we can start thinking of custom features that could enhance that specific game mode.

I brought this up to divVerent the other day. He wasn't to fond of the idea. The reason i wanted it was so certain areas of the map could be cut off when there are 2 players to downsize the level. Instead he proposed the number of players determining the size of the level. Either way I'm not fussed, but some extra features for 1v1 mode would be good.

My only concern is that switching game modes is an inconvenience compared to just change the max-players.
There's nothing better than getting off you butt and contributing to a community. There is no excuse when it comes to computers. Spend a little of you playing time, giving back Smile

See also: http://dev.xonotic.org/issues/15

Something I'd really like to see is ranked duel servers, perhaps using Elo or a traditional ladder (Elo would probably be the best method though).
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

(01-21-2011, 04:18 PM)Dokujisan Wrote: Then we can start thinking of custom features that could enhance that specific game mode.
Could these specific features include some balance and physics variations?

As far as i recall, the global balance and physics have been changed mainly for ctf purpose.
I don't remember too many duelers complaining about the Nexuiz setup.
Fat.bot.Slim

An important thing, I'd even suggest it for the default balance, is to lower the control and the movement during midair. (What makes the models/the player even faster, maybe)
Then, it would be a ncie thing, to test the strength of some weapons. The crylink should be final as it is now, other weapons (except of shotgun melee and maybe the electro) need more power to beat up your enemy. Wou have to hit your opponent indeed very often to kill him (even if he didnt stack up to max. armor/health) Wink
Also, for physics, I'd maybe have a little bit align to nexuiz (or just make a second strafe key possible without loosing speed maybe, hehe). The physics are the reason why there are that less nexuiz players in xonotic yet! Tongue

I always liked this idea.

However after reading the replies.. You guys sound like you're talking about a mod, not a game mode. I'm not so sure about making changes to physics/balance just for a gamemode, I'd go as far as say it's a terrible idea. Game modes aren't supposed to affect that, it would be terribly inconsistent and confusing for new players.

Instead of making another gamemode, why not make it clear that the server is for duelling in the server name?
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

The thing i liked about the QL duel mode is that it is in a King Of The Hill mode per default.. The winner stays in as player and another contestant can join for the next match if there's more than one other player on the server.. The loser has to wait until it's his turn again..

EDIT: Also a default timelimit of 10 minutes for duels would be pretty nice..
He can talk the talk, but can he caulk the caulk?

(01-22-2011, 09:23 AM)lda17h Wrote: The thing i liked about the QL duel mode is that it is in a King Of The Hill mode per default.. The winner stays in as player and another contestant can join for the next match if there's more than one other player on the server.. The loser has to wait until it's his turn again..

This is "Arena" in Nexuiz/Xonotic.

I agree with nifrek. Physics and balance should be the same in every gamemode. Also don't let this topic turn into another balance topic (post here)!
And seriously (no offence): If you want to have it like Nexuiz.. play Nexuiz?

@weapons: Guys, dont forget, that the weapon balance was set with the serious contribution of the best and top-notch 1on1 players, maybe some of you feel that weapons are weak, but partially one of the reason why balance is like this, that people wont insta-roflpwn eachother as they get better in xonotic and get used to the movement, map-styles etc. Mortar-nex combo was pretty sick in nexuiz, noone can doubt it, now basically every weapon combo works the same effect in the proper situation. Electro is one of the strongest weapon if you can average 35-40%, and it has amazing combo potential.

@lda17h I COULDNT AGREE MORE, that 15 minute felt extremely long in nexuiz too, less timelimit would result more maps to be played, and more interesting games for the spectators.

I also agree with nifrek, 1on1 could come with mutators, but as default it should use all the default game settings. And then people could set up in the menu if they want hook, minstanex (so it would include minsta 1on1 too this way), quad, pickable weapons, CPM physics, spectator chat. Looot of potentials in the mutators, but of course they should be only OPTIONS in my opinion. This "duel" game mode could sum up lot of different gamemodes this way.

I would also like to see a default weapon respawntime set up for duel then (as well as the other game-modes, but i'm thinking more ladder style setups).

What's the current weapon respawn time for 1on1?
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

@kojn: I don't think there are specific settings for duels as of yet, I mean no "ladder rules" or anything like that.

(01-22-2011, 03:00 AM)clanclanclan Wrote: See also: http://dev.xonotic.org/issues/15

Something I'd really like to see is ranked duel servers, perhaps using Elo or a traditional ladder (Elo would probably be the best method though).
I try to suggest that idea here : http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1041

I would suggest an intro screen during the countdown with both avatars and name and same for the end with an ending screen with the winner and a trophy with a match summary. ^^

IMO, we just need ONE balance ONE physics ONE respawn time, A proper 1on1 serverlist and everybody will get use to, like in nexuiz. People play regular DM then the can play 1on1 with the best players without having to relearn everything.

maybe a pro mode that would change everything... But I don't think anyone was using it in nexuiz.

I like the 15min time match. But for spectators, it's maybe too long.
Nexuiz : I Reach the top5 of the ladder (even top3 I guess). Top1 French for quite some time (when active) of ladder. Top5 of some tournaments (if I remember well)

PGP_Qz Wrote:maybe a pro mode that would change everything... But I don't think anyone was using it in nexuiz.

There was some "promode" in nexuiz? lol

"For a totally original way to experience Nexuiz we created 'Nexuiz Pro', a server side mod that drastically changes the physics and weapons." http://www.alienTRAP.org/devwiki/index.p...nouncement

As far as i'm aware that was to more cater for the CPM/Q3 player's who really disliked nexuiz's physics.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official Overkill balance martin-t 38 26,027 10-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Last Post: martin-t
  [POLL] g_spawn_furthest - Random or always furthest? Mario 29 18,726 06-24-2016, 03:15 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  How can i add a Game mode? HirnloserHering 2 4,364 08-29-2015, 06:33 AM
Last Post: HirnloserHering
  Target Practice mode W4RP1G 26 27,569 06-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Last Post: W4RP1G
Brick Proposal to change the mapping procedure for official Xonotic maps CuBe0wL 21 33,037 04-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Samual
Bug BUG: servers store name "poll" rainerzufalldererste 6 7,230 01-11-2011, 05:21 AM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  "Official" Dev Build? VNilla 9 12,615 07-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo