Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Can't run dedicated server over Wireless?

I'd like to run a dedicated Xonotic server on my PC, and so I have the .cfg and all that all set up, but just one problem remains: I can't get it to work properly over Wireless internet.

I don't have any dedicated internet; just WiFi through a few nearby hotspots. I can launch a dedicated server that's visible to the other computers on that particular network, but no one on a different network can see the server (and it's not that my friends have bad Xonotic configurations; my netbook can't see it if I connect to a different network, either).

I've tried manually specifying the net address and port in my server, but it always comes out to a 192.168.etc.etc address in-game, not an independent IP. Is this even the problem though? I've tried so many things I just don't know where to turn at this point...

Any help would be much appreciated. This is driving me crazy! Angry

(On Windows 7 x64, if that makes a difference)
[Image: myvFI.png]

If you're using wireless hotspots, they probably have many ports disabled to thwart people from doing things like this. Your local ip should always come out to be "192.168.x.x" and you shouldn't need to specify, it will only show as a different IP to someone outside the local network. You could always ask the owners of the hotspots to forward some ports for you, but I wouldn't count on them being too enthusiastic about it Wink

I bet I could work that out, actually, considering my neighbors are one of the hotspots Tongue

But while I know a bit about how internet works, just saying I need a port forwarded to me is slightly vague. How exactly would I go about forwarding a port to my PC?

First see if you have access to the routers html configuration pages, the address is usually 192.168.1.1 (or similar) via your browser if you find you can access the cfg pages its pretty simple to go in an open the port if you can't access these pages your SOL.
<[-z-]> have you seen the documentary "happy"?
<Samual_> no
<Samual_> it sounds horrible

Ok, so that's the right address, but it asks for a username and password...and here's the problem. The person with the router doesn't remember setting up a username/password, just the WPA2 password. How would one go about setting up the username/password for this kind of access? Are there default values I can just pull out of a manual (kind of like my bluetooth headphones have the pairing code in the manual)?

(01-27-2011, 04:22 PM)LukeLC Wrote: Ok, so that's the right address, but it asks for a username and password...and here's the problem. The person with the router doesn't remember setting up a username/password, just the WPA2 password. How would one go about setting up the username/password for this kind of access? Are there default values I can just pull out of a manual (kind of like my bluetooth headphones have the pairing code in the manual)?

If you know the manufacturer/model of the wireless router, just google the default login credentials for it and that should get you going.

Perfect, I found the credentials online and I'm in the router's configuration! I also found the area for setting up port forwarding, but what works best with Xonotic?

A screenshot of my options:

[Image: c2Zcg.png]

The Quake II/III option might work idk been a long time since I did it if not try the add custom service option and mess around there UDP? + port 26000
<Samual_> no

Ok, so I created a new service and set the port to 26000 both in the router settings and in the server.cfg, and it WORKED! I was able to access the server publicly from any other web connection available!

Thanks a ton, guys! Big Grin

np glad you got it running Smile

Running a server via wifi sucks but its good for testing stuff out.
<Samual_> no

Grats, cool you got it working. That screenie looks just like my neighbors router config Tongue I take it as being a Netgear model?

On my router, there is a (something like) demitrilized zone, it sets the only IP address to expose to the Internet and allows outside access.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Can't hear the announcer voice anymore gianmarco 4 512 01-16-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: gianmarco
  [NEED HELP] Setup Dedicated Server to DL from Map Server mrhip 1 452 10-16-2023, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Freddy
  [INVALID] Resolution can't be changed Majki 17 13,118 08-14-2022, 02:41 AM
Last Post: FAF
  [NEED HELP] Cannot launch xonotic-linux64-dedicated server (v0.8.5) in Ubuntu18.04 ff8eyes 3 1,722 08-13-2022, 02:43 AM
  [NEED HELP] Can't set 2k resolution noteven 4 2,911 05-07-2021, 02:33 PM
Last Post: noteven
  [NEED HELP] Can't join anymore fenjrill 5 3,077 07-17-2020, 07:04 AM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [NEED HELP] Sudden loss of sound in Xonotic, can not get it to return. SeveredinTwain 5 3,929 03-26-2020, 05:55 AM
  [SOLVED] how can i get defrag entities in netradiant? bananovenc 5 3,568 01-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Last Post: SpiKe
Question [NEED HELP] can't build netradiant (SOLVED) bananovenc 7 4,418 12-25-2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: illwieckz
  [SOLVED] Can't click on my name in XonStats TheChrississin 4 2,599 03-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Last Post: falco