Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xonotic Strength Item

I took a bit of a break from serious stuff I've been working lately and quickly threw together this Xonotic Logo model that could be used as the new Strength symbol. It has 498 triangles.

[Image: xon_strength2.png]
[Image: xon_strength3.png]
[Image: xon_strength1.png]

And the source file (only .blend so far), I release it as GPL 2.0 (licence ok? even if I based it on Xonotic logo for which I don't know the licence?)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1482587/xonotic/...ngth.blend

There was a discussion on IRC whether the logo is is fitting for Strength power-up or not. I'd like to include more people to give their opinion. Right now the model seems a bit empty so one idea was to have some sort of glowing spheres in the centre, dancing around.

There is also the possibility of including the phoenix along with the circle, but if we keep them separate we can use them on two separate power-up items.

Suggestions, ideas?

Yeah I am planning a brainstorming thread about the powerup symbols and names, just like the weapon brainstorming threads I made. What you made is good start for a "frame" for the powerups. I would suggest not going too much further though (at least don't post anything yet) until we can get through the powerup decisions. I was gonna talk about it with the Team Xonotic ppl after -z- got back from vacation this week.

Very Nice! I agreed that will make an excellent frame for power up items.

Yeah sounds logical. I'll leave the model as it is for now, until design decisions are made.

As a suggestion for neatness - Would it be possible to use that model and then create particle fire effects as the phoenix? Cause that would be awesome.

I definitely like it as a frame, to put an actual indicator of the powerup inside.

Yeah great frame! Let's keep it. Big Grin
Xonotic Assasins!

Quote:<tChr^nsb> home
* pughar gives tChr^nsb a cookie
<Liquid-Sin> no cookies for me?
<pughar> gave the last one to him Smile
<Liquid-Sin> my luck...

(03-27-2010, 10:02 AM)Sepelio Wrote: As a suggestion for neatness - Would it be possible to use that model and then create particle fire effects as the phoenix? Cause that would be awesome.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME. Have a sprite pheonix appear and fade while some particles scatter. Maybe the speed at which the object rotates could also drastically increase as the pheonix appears.

This frame was exactly one of the ideas that came up while we were brainstorming about the logo. My idea was to add Morphed's phoenix logo inside this ring, with flaming particles.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

I think its a damn good idea. It would look fantastic.

i'd rather have just a single glossy glowing "smartie" blob thingie counter-revolving, expanding and collapsing in the middle. The Phoenix should be used seperately.
4m038105 - Be the change.

Smartie blob? Anyway, I like the idea of the phoenix in the middle. Or maybe just the phoenix head. The whole phoenix might be too big or too little detailed. I don't know about the flame particles, though.

Well maybe just the phoenix wings in a wide v shape made out of particles would do it?

I don't think we should put a phoenix inside. How would we tell the difference between strength and shield? The phoenix leaves little room.

Could colour them differently just as it was in nexuiz. Have blue/red phoenix fire to differentiate them.

An md3 version of the torc http://omploader.org/vM3o5Mg.

Could you convert the Phoenix into a .blend, preferably without the flames? An svg of the phoenix http://leela.org.uk/xonotic/xonotic_icon/icon_3.svg

Thanks

Good to see so many got involved in the discussion Smile

It wouldn't be a problem to also make the phoenix model with the logo, but I'll go with what Dokujisan said and wait until actual design decisions and concepts are made.

One thought: If many items share the same round frame, won't this make them too similar to one another and the frame too common (even if with a different colour). This way we could end up with a collection of items that say "we have no imagination and use the same base for everything". Also, the round frame is symmetrical, while I wouldn't mind seeing (or modelling for that matter) some non-symmetrical designs.

(03-28-2010, 02:17 PM)Roanoke Wrote: I don't think we should put a phoenix inside. How would we tell the difference between strength and shield? The phoenix leaves little room.

Could have the pheonix appear whenever a player touches the item.

The strength could be the phoenix, the shield will be a turtle! It's so perfect!
[Image: duck.gif]
ai am ai.

Fix the avatar size limit please! I want my avatar gifs back! DISCRIMINATION!
Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

I agree with the turtle =)

But the turtle could also mean Ultra-slow power-up Smile

Turtle seems to me a bit too... hmmm... unserious Tongue
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Logo is being redone, so don't set that phoenix in stone.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Morphed's used brushes for weapon and item model texturing LegendGuard 0 1,709 11-30-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  Specific case of warpzone rendering item once; after being picked up, never again Antares* 0 2,339 10-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Antares*
  Strength and Flag models nowego4 22 21,308 08-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Last Post: nowego4