Create an account

Poll: Would you like to see "Assassin" being implemented?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
It sounds good / Implement it
27.27%
3 27.27%
Maybe...
45.45%
5 45.45%
No, because noone will use it
18.18%
2 18.18%
No, because its bad
9.09%
1 9.09%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[SUGGESTION] new game mode: Assassin

Hi there,
I have a suggestion for a nice game mode called "Assassin".
I've seen it in sauerbraten, but they've removed it some releases ago(maybe because most of the players didn't understand it).

How it works:
  • no teams (DM)
  • you get a randomly chosen target(visible on the minimap and maybe via a big teammate-like marker in red)
  • you only score for fragging your target
  • you dont know your "personal Assassin"

It is somehow a slowed down DM with a "multiplayer 1-on-1" style gameplay.
To prevent the game from being frustrating for someone(target is a real pro) there could be a limited number of tries: when being killed 2 times by your target you get a new one and maybe some penalty(see scores below).

Pros:
  • simple gameplay (just "kill the target")
  • no need to modify or build new maps
  • different from other modes
  • (maybe) it's simple to "teach" the bots to only attack the target and everyone attacking them
  • offers possibilities for new tactics
  • its not implemented in nearly every fps (like ctf) / more special
Cons:
  • most players tend to simply frag everyone and then complain why they don't get points, effectively turning a match into some DM-mode with frustrating scores
  • it only works when (nearly) everyone tries to score and not just frag everyone(this applies to all game modes)
  • maybe its not fast enough for a fast-paced shooter
  • simply doesn't work for 2 players (you would always have the same target)
To prevent the game from being turned into a DM game there should be some penalty for just fragging everyone.

(possible) Scores:
  • +5 for killing the target
  • -1 for killing someone else (the mentioned penalty)
  • -2 for getting a new target because of being killed 2 times by the old one
  • +-0 for killing someone who starts to attack you (so that you can defend yourself without loosing points)
i hope you like it, i would really like to see (and playWink) it in xonotic

i miss the vote option 'no,because 15 are enough game modes'
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

this sounds pretty much like assassins creed brotherhood.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

Cortez666 Wrote:i miss the vote option 'no,because 15 are enough game modes'

+1
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

I originally was going to code this back in the Nexuiz days (Actually maybe it was divVerent who wanted to do this) when I was looking to expand upon the current game modes... However I decided that this really wasn't worth the frustration of coding and determining how it should be balanced properly. Honestly it just isn't fun enough to be worth it..

Even so/Regardless, instead I say we should improve the game modes we already have (although we really do need to remove some game modes as well, such as rune match... or in the least make it a mutator instead.) and clear that up first BEFORE we think about adding even more game modes. That goes for you too FruitieX Tongue (and your color assimilation game mode).

Im preddy much 'i dont mind the idea, but nor do i like it enough to code it'. Keep in mind not everything need to be in the official release; you can find/create some modder team to code/debunk this and see how it works out in practice. If it does work well and code base for it is stable & clean you'll have a helluva lot an easier time to convince us grumpy old devs to merge it to main branch Wink

I like it. I was thinking of something similar some time ago. But it I think it might be a little tricky to code.

As a player I would play this a lot. A nice variation that would make people a bit more gentle playing this game Smile

That's just MHO.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Hello.
Sorry to be pessimistic, but "how do the game knows that you are attacked first, if you are not injured first?"
Thanks for the idea, but it seems hard to code.
It looks like "hunting":
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=270
Maybe "chess mate" could be better to play and easier to make:
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1557

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Sumo game mode BuddyFriendGuy 2 1,979 02-24-2023, 02:32 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] new game mechanic: Flash Steps ballerburg9005 6 2,735 08-22-2021, 06:21 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  [SUGGESTION] Some "modern" Suggestions (Wipeout Mode, Electro Color) NoClue 1 1,991 10-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Mario
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] A NEW GAME MODE - HIDE AND SEEK! Kotangens 5 3,667 07-30-2020, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [SUGGESTION] Destroyable Health mode. Magician 11 7,729 03-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Last Post: martin-t
  [SUGGESTION] Relic Duels (game mode) munyul 5 4,838 02-11-2018, 10:59 AM
Last Post: martin-t
  [SUGGESTION] Borderless (Fullscreen) Windowed Mode Iokast 0 3,228 07-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Iokast
  [SUGGESTION] New toys not new any more? BuddyFriendGuy 11 9,153 05-07-2016, 01:12 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Zombie mode verretor 4 5,235 09-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] CTF/FT hybrid game mode end user 9 11,405 08-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Mario