Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nokia to ditch Symbian?

Since Nokia was subjected to the Microsoft dropout Elop, they're constantly trying to "get back on track", with 10% loss in 2010.

Elop says they are open to making phones with Windows Phone 7 or Android.

1) What about Symbian?
2) Are they freakin' serious?
3) Were they sane when accepting Elop as CEO?

Damn. Crap just hit the fan, I'm telling ya.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

4) Did they not just develop MeeGo/Maemo/Moblin?!

IMO the combination of Android (which runs on anything - and is mostly free as in speech) and iOS (which is everywhere) is probably squeezing Nokia out of the market. I'd love to see some Nokia phones running Android, but TBH it's a shame to see a good Linux-based OS for smartphones die. One less competitor in a marketplace already dominated by Apple Sad
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Well, Android *is* based on linux/unix kernel, however it's just all about the Apple crap. Before the iPod they were just making weird computers which only run design software, but then, they introduced iPod&Co., and Apple suddenly became synonym of cool. That's why there's iOS everywhere.
And besides, why not simply free Symbian? It's not like they're already using tons of free software - Qt (free if free), Netscape code, Java which is (mostly) free. But no, instead they'll make people hack their phones.
Android runs on anything AND is cheap as free, so small wonder everyone uses it, and that companies use it, because then they could put more into the actual phone, for the same price. Same with Nokia, kinda, since hey - they made Symbian, so they probably don't have to freaking license it. But the Moblin thing bugs me. Maybe it's because it's also a name of Zelda games mook, but if they made it, why not freaking use it? For low-end smartphones, for example. I see some Microsoft management here, I think...
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Minkovsky Wrote:Before the iPod they were just making weird computers which only run design software, but then, they introduced iPod&Co., and Apple suddenly became synonym of cool.

Yeah, this is sort of sad. Typical conversation with an Apple fanboy:
Fanboy: I use a Mac.
Victim: Yes, you've told me that four-hundred times now. Have you ever considered trying something Linux or Win-
Don't even bother asking an Apple fanboy what the advantages of Apple products are, they've been mentally blinded by more glass and shiny metal than you can poke a stick at.

Minkovsky Wrote:And besides, why not simply free Symbian? It's not like they're already using tons of free software - Qt (free if free), Netscape code, Java which is (mostly) free. But no, instead they'll make people hack their phones.

Symbian already is free. Android is just more familiar, easier to use/develop for and ubiquitous.

Big Grin 
(02-11-2011, 01:47 AM)clanclanclan Wrote:
Minkovsky Wrote:Before the iPod they were just making weird computers which only run design software, but then, they introduced iPod&Co., and Apple suddenly became synonym of cool.

Yeah, this is sort of sad. Typical conversation with an Apple fanboy:
Victim: Yes, you've told me that four-hundred times now. Have you ever considered trying something Linux or Win-
Don't even bother asking an Apple fanboy what the advantages of Apple products are, they've been mentally blinded by more glass and shiny metal than you can poke a stick at.
Yeah, people at my school are always telling me to get Windows 7... Even if I got good k/ubuntu which is better and prettier than Windows 7. Also, why the heck did they make a phone using glass?
Quote:Symbian already is free. Android is just more familiar, easier to use/develop for and ubiquitous.

...So why can't I sign my apps with my g-mail account? I've been trying to sign a GBA emulator, but the e-mail just bounces off. At least it did when I tried few months ago. Also, preferred Android language seems to be Java, while on Symbian, you can use C, C++ (native) and possibly even C# (but as a non-CLI language), not to mention Python (although extra libs are required). It also uses Qt, which means that KDE developers should feel at home, and faster, since preferred language is C++.

I'd sure like to see Nokia phones with Android on them, but I like Symbian, and I think that Nokia should continue it. Besides, NokiaDroid phones might be just what the rich people want, and low-end handsets with Symbian might really satisfy those all African farmers willing to pay a small subscription fee for all the news on farming. I heard Nokia had that project going.

New info here: It's gonna be Windows Phone 7. Looks like Elop was just a beginning of the fusion (which may actually happen)

(02-11-2011, 01:47 AM)clanclanclan Wrote: Don't even bother asking an Apple fanboy what the advantages of Apple products are, they've been mentally blinded by more glass and shiny metal than you can poke a stick at.

Haha that's hilarious Smile

Minkovsky Wrote:Yeah, people at my school are always telling me to get Windows 7... Even if I got good k/ubuntu which is better and prettier than Windows 7.

Fun game: come up with the best response for "Why do you use Lunix?" Big Grin

Also, there is a native SDK for Android which will pretty much let you do anything C/C++ can (so Python, etc). There is no X11 on Android though, so porting current Linux GUI applications is somewhere between hard and impossible. I personally don't like Qt because it's closer to a language than a GUI library thanks to MOC (though I haven't had any real Qt experience).

Minkovsky Wrote:New info here: It's gonna be Windows Phone 7. Looks like Elop was just a beginning of the fusion (which may actually happen)

Oh Sad

Whaat? Can we assume Wayland is dead now?
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

eFlop Tongue

R.I.P. Nokia
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Don't be harsh. Maybe it will just mean that Nokia will make Zune Phones, which would be good for MS because the hardware will be reliable (Nokia doesn't break easily... Except when it encounters orange juice :p ), however it's kinda sad that they go for the people with less market attention than Android to team up against Apple. If Nokia went to Google, this would mean lots and lots of NokiaDroids, which could put a stop to the iScalation of Apple. And yes, I know that the NokiaSoft would be decent apple-stopper, but this would mean more expensive phones, which wouldn't broaden NokiaSoft's share at all.

Nokia won't die too easily. Even if it becomes Microsoft's forcibly adopted child, they won't stop making Symbian phones, even if they won't make them the top priority. Or quite possibly they'll just make them cheaper.

(02-11-2011, 01:47 AM)clanclanclan Wrote: Yeah, this is sort of sad. Typical conversation with an Apple fanboy:
I use a Mac.

I run Gentoo Linux on it Tongue
(01-05-2011, 07:17 PM)naryl Wrote: > Ubuntu is an ancient African word that means "cant configure debian"

Actually it's for "I can't install Gentoo".

naryl Wrote:Whaat? Can we assume Wayland is dead now?

Wait, what? Huh

windows 7 is good because it just works with 1 click on the mouse. linux is crap, i have to spend all day to get something to work to find out its not going to work.

all you nerds said to me linux was so much better then windows 7, so i listened to you all and installed linux
after about a month of using it i wanted to shit it out, jump on it, burn it, throw it at a wall and place it in a blender.

sorry but i just like things to work.

HEY!!!
[Image: vNzdsZw]

Request to remove the last (and this one) post because it provokes the holywar... and is offtopic to boot.
chooksta Wrote:640t ought to be enuf for antibody
- microsoft windows

For fishman's sake:

We're talking about *PHONES*, and Symbian. Symbian != Linux. Windows 7 != Windows 7 Phone. Windows 7 Phone isn't even in the same kernel "family" as Windows 7 (Windows CE lineage VS NT lineage).

I'm concerned with what is going to happen to Qt and Moblin in all of this too.

I also don't have any interest in anything Apple makes. It seems like proof that many people do exactly what advertisers tell them to do/everyone else does. Collective stupidity if you will.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic