Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[WIP] Weapon Models

I agree with nowego4, I think having textural consistency would be a good idea.

Awesome Job, keep up the good work Big Grin

[Image: 5ntKt.png]

Needs moar polys.

Is there any real need to stay with the visual design of the old crylink though? it looks to "organic" to fit the rest of the game IMO. it's hard to make it look organic without using obcene amounts of polys Sad

I want there to be 2 types of weapons in the game: human weapons and alien weapons. I would like to say that this would add a sense of narrative to the game, but I doubt anyone would notice.

doesn't mean I'm not going to :p
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

(01-30-2012, 10:09 PM)theShadow Wrote: I want there to be 2 types of weapons in the game: human weapons and alien weapons. I would like to say that this would add a sense of narrative to the game, but I doubt anyone would notice.

doesn't mean I'm not going to :p

Do you mean a mixture in the models or stuff dependant on the team you are playing for?
Making some of the models look like they are from a different race than the other would be hard to pull off, if you did it right it may add some nice subtlety to the narritive If you didn't get the ballence right or allowed for too much variaton in each race you could make it seem inconsistant and lacking visual harmony, making the game look bad reguardless of the quality of individual models.
I think it would be safer to offer a different texture on the same mesh for each race.

Someone should put together some sort of back story though to explain what Xonotic is, why the players are able to move like they do, why they have the types of matches they do, and why certain weapons are used. In addition to that someone should make descriptions for the weapons.

One idea I have that would explain everything would be that Xonotic started out as a way to field test weapons and later evolved from that into a set of war games enjoyed by those looking to demonstrate their skill. There were a few technologies developed before weapons actually got used on actual fighters that would allow people to respawn, thus eliminating permanent deaths. Whenever it became a game, certain weapons were chosen specifically because they were interesting to see in action and fit the fighting style used by those duking it out in the arenas. Player movements, armor, and health systems could also be explained by technology. Just an idea.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

^ and the reason bunny hopping is so childishly simplified is because gravity is simulated by electro-magnetic boots. the current generation of combat boots have a device that automagicly detects when you hit the ground and delivers a pulse of reverse polarity to push you up again.

also IDK how difficult it would be to explain respawining though. do we have any PHDs in related fields on this forum to make it not sound fake?

I guess this is not the place for this kind of discussion but I do think that it's important to have backstories for all of the weapons and strange functions. Perhaps we could begin a thread where we brainstorm such things.

This could also help determine some visual details of the models.

respawn = new soldier teleporting in. any more complicated explanation is just going to sound stupid.

Imgur Gallery

(01-30-2012, 01:44 PM)poVoq Wrote: I would say No 2 is the way to go.

Camouflage textures are pretty much a no go for computer games as their whole purpose is to look visually noisy and thus break up 3D shapes and confuse the eye. Besides that, texture compression will make a mess out of it at anything but the highest settings and very close up views.
I agree with that. Model 1 and 2 are the best after my opinion. My favourite is model 2 Smile

I don't want to detract your efforts, you work is impressive, but why do we need a new model for the machinegun?

And btw. LJFHutch did you played minsta 1on1 with me few months ago?

@s1lencer and theShadow
You know UT3? Respawn is used in the so called "campaign..." use it this way.
The mind is like a parachute, it only works, if it is open!

RaptorFX Wrote:I don't want to detract your efforts, you work is impressive, but why do we need a new model for the machinegun?
Because the current one is still from Nexuiz, it´s old and doesn´t really fit the Xonotic style anymore (imo). Also the new one will rock! Big Grin

(02-01-2012, 05:38 PM)RaptorFX Wrote: And btw. LJFHutch did you played minsta 1on1 with me few months ago?

Possible yes, minstanex is certainly my proffered style of play Smile

As for respawning, I can't remember from where but the best explanation was that you were a clone, each time you're controlling another clone/replica, created upon death.

A wargames scenario is nice and fits quite well. My only issues though would be that I can't see any of the info gained by conducting them being useful to real-world operations and I'm not so sure about the whole "none of this is real" concept - and yes, I understand how silly that sounds considering it's a virtual world to begin with regardless of story Big Grin

I'll continue to work on refining the first two concepts, focusing primarily on #2.

it was stupid in UT3. that's what I was talking about.

also, I am going to make a new model for every weapon. the MG is the one samual told me to work on.

Imgur Gallery

OFF TOPIC:

In my opinion player respawning = Move player consciousness to a clone and warp them in. I think that's how it should be explained in Xonotic.

That's actually how it was done in Unreal Championship (and I assume most of the Unreal series). This was explained in one of the map load screens in Unreal Championship. Respawners are also explained as a means to prevent casualties in a cut scene with Jesper and Reaper when you have a training fight in Unreal Tournament III.

This wasn't the case in Unreal Championship 2 though, instead the fighters were warped out of the arena almost instantly (faster than they can respawn, but you were still able to see them bleed, get their heads ripped off, etc.). This often worked to a comedic effect too, because sometimes the fighters will still be traumatized from the last hit that took them out of the arena and warp screaming something like "I CAN'T FEEL MY LEGS!". The teleportation concept was explained in a cut scene with Anubis and Sobek when Sobek puts a round in the back of Anubis' head, totally freaking him out. Upon Anubis getting warped back in (the effects of him breaking down and warping back in were even slowed down) he says "The teleporters change things don't they?". One other cool thing they threw in to ground the over the top gameplay were jet boots and the ability for the fighters to warp their weapons in and out of the arena (there was actually a visual effect for that too, you'd see them teleport into their hands) when they switched between them.

As for the war games idea: Xonotic's universe could have INITIALLY started out as a means to field test different weapons and equipment, but later on it's timeline actually be spun off of that program as a sport. That would also explain why the players are completely visible at all times.

Oh wait.

honestly, It would be better to just not explain it at all. UT3 is the only game I've ever played that tried to explain it, but it's just not necessary.

the purpose of a story is not to explain the game mechanics, but to provide a setting for the game to take place in.

Imgur Gallery

UT3 provided cool back story for arena maps, problem was story was very un-arena like. I dont know why they dropped the tournament "story".

I always though of respawning as a person off site with a machine that could patch a player back together......

If we are ever going to have a decent SP campaign we will probably need to explain it.

ps --- most other games can avoid the whole respawn thing because you only have a small number of lives and die rarely. However, in xonotic one can die as many times as they like and often more than once in a minute. That kind of respawning NEEDS to be explained.

Can I download the ones that are pretty much done?
Don't just live life with work.
Find some time every day to have some fun. Wink

Some may be in git branches, you have to have a look around and see. Other then that, your only hope is the artists working on it reading your post.

Latest Concept:
[Image: 20120120xonoticmachingu.jpg]

oO

Have I already said "austom"?

No?

The Austomness!

*awr*
[Image: Sigsig.jpg]

Best concept I've seen for that weapon.

Oh wait.

.jpg   Preview.jpg (Size: 45.06 KB / Downloads: 203)

... speechless

can the middle thing actually spin? ... or is that not possible

it's possible Smile

Imgur Gallery

I hope this will be the case for more weapons, eg. hagar, mortar or shotgun could also have some rotary parts. Or maybe they're bound to get remodelled too...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Morphed's used brushes for weapon and item model texturing LegendGuard 0 1,709 11-30-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [NEED HELP] Editing Pick-Up Models NoClue 3 1,135 11-25-2022, 06:17 AM
Last Post: NoClue
  [NEED HELP] Weapon shader isn't doing as I'm intending to do LegendGuard 0 1,048 04-04-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  List of Free/GPL Models & Programs AllegedlyDead 7 14,249 10-26-2021, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Dares
  How to import Weapon Models? NoClue 6 3,416 12-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Julius
Brick New Shotgun and Uzi models MirceaKitsune 6 4,079 07-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Last Post: _para
  [NEED HELP] NetRadiant Models Not Working 3agle427 7 5,278 06-26-2020, 11:40 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
Rainbow [NEED HELP] Player models. Import to blender, export to xonotic. Snekky 1 3,645 04-19-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
  [NEED HELP] Texture problems in MD3 exported models (Quake 3) xLuca91x 9 6,592 03-31-2020, 03:13 PM
Last Post: xLuca91x
  Renamon & Krystal player models MirceaKitsune 37 59,629 12-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Mario