Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[WIP] Weapon Models

The glow is an improvement, especially the one on the barrel.

so... can we get this in 0.6 still? Wink

(e.g. the model is available so that it can be textured like this?)

Check the laser model in current autobuild!

PS. idea for animation - after every shot, wheel on the side could extend a little, make a turn, then hide back, when next shot is ready.

woah, thats nice, shame you cant drop it to check it out
btw RIS is a bit funny for laser :-)

Can someone take a picture of the Laz0r for those of us without autobuild?

here you go, I was swaying it up and down so angle may be weird
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/laz0r.jpg/

(02-20-2012, 11:00 AM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: here you go, I was swaying it up and down so angle may be weird

Thank you, it's damn sexy.
A little dirty though, if there's one gun i would expect to be spotless it's the laser.

(02-20-2012, 11:00 AM)frostwyrm333 Wrote: here you go, I was swaying it up and down so angle may be weird

At last, a screenshot. It looks wonderful! Can't wait Big Grin

[Image: 6oKVW.jpg]

I love the new Laser model! It´s so awesome that I´m currently using it all the time (in combo with the shotgun)!

Heart Laser Heart

That is splendid! I hope it will be committed for 0.6

It IS commited already. Seriously, nobody reads git commit messages or reads the dev tracker? Sad
I know, I know, WoX BloX it... won't happen until 0.6.
[Image: 561.png]
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."

(02-21-2012, 08:53 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: nobody reads git commit messages or reads the dev tracker? Sad

This. I'd like to draw everyone's attention to our repository browser for a moment: http://git.xonotic.org/. If you click on a tree of interest you can get an RSS link (in the bottom right) for all of the incoming commits. Put that into your feed reader of choice and you're up to date in no-time!

In this instance we'd be interested in seeing xonotic-data and commits specific to the laser, which leads you to the commit in question (http://git.xonotic.org/?p=xonotic/xonoti...08d09;js=1) quite quickly!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Bit of a waste to use such a nice model for the laser which is used only for a split second and then switched back to a real weapon.

I for one am still for implementing laser as a alt fire for all weapons like in overkill...

Quote:I for one am still for implementing laser as a alt fire for all weapons like in overkill...

Hell no.

Bye-bye, detonating rockets mid-air,
Bye-bye, electro combos,
Bye-bye, melee attack of shotgun...

Off-hand laser would be a lot better idea. But since laser can be actual weapon, even that is IMO iffy and probably prone to abuse (imagine alternating quick laser with mortar/nex).

I for one much rather see a nice animation between shots to show off game's polish.

does this mean the laser will be your shirt color? ... (or blue if the glow is a fixed color)

... cause I never liked red ... (even the HLAC red)

(02-21-2012, 02:13 PM)rafallus Wrote: Bye-bye, detonating rockets mid-air,
Bye-bye, electro combos,
Bye-bye, melee attack of shotgun...

Off-hand laser would be a lot better idea. But since laser can be actual weapon, even that is IMO iffy and probably prone to abuse (imagine alternating quick laser with mortar/nex).
You know that there could be a third fire mode? Obviously I wouldn't want to remove the current ones Rolleyes It would be pretty much an off-hand laser I guess (what ever you mean by that exactly).

off-hand laser probably means you press something and insta laser will fire
No, laser still shoots the same red ball. I wouldn't mind if it was replaced.
Laser has its uses as anti-sniper, mid-air weapon, and cheap finishing weapon.

dont forget its push abilities on space maps (pushme-ctf comes to mind)

Actually, what's the problem with just quickly switching to laser as normal, firing a shot and switching back? (alt. fire of laser does switching back part for you) 1 is not far away from WSAD, you can even bind other key, whichever feels more convenient to you.

I tried the new laser model yesterday. When seeing it in someone's hand, it looks beautiful! Not sure about how it looks in 1st person view however (where it looks like a stick or a leaf blower). Would be nice if the upper part could be extended somehow, to make it look a larger, but without breaking the sideways design.

the upper part looks like a picatinny/weaver rail which makes it look like an assault rifle from the 21st century and not like a future laser gun. at least from the first person perspective.

imo the 1st person view of this model is totally unsuitable for the laser.

It's not a laser anyway. Since when lasers shoot exploding projectiles? According to tracker, it's planned to get renamed to blaster.

the important part is not the name, but the time: weaver rails are used in todays assault/sniper rifles, and a weapon firing an energy projectile is nothing but "today". a weaver rail looks 0% futuristic, which may be okay for the camping rifle, but not for the laser/blaster.

(02-22-2012, 11:25 AM)jaykay Wrote: the upper part looks like a picatinny/weaver rail which makes it look like an assault rifle from the 21st century and not like a future laser gun.

The problem with not having things like that is that then the weapons have a kind of old-school feel to them. Hand crafted weapons or smooth/simplistic weapons feel very old fashioned while weapons with lots of things on them like buttons, screens, scopes, grips and that sort of thing or that are made from materials we perceive as futuristic (for instance, honeycombs, lol Big Grin) push the design toward the future.

Modular systems in my opinion are still perceived as futuristic or new. If you put rails on a musket, a crazy set of optics, wires, modular external display, side grip, bunch of glowing buttons and painted the whole thing matte black it'd probably look futuristic.

It depends on the current state of things though, you have to have the thing grounded in reality enough that it's recognizable but still different enough to stand out and look cool. If you designed the WW2 US Army infantry equipment and weapons and presented it as "futuristic" 800 years ago they'd probably laugh at you and tell you it looked stupid, regardless of how effective or "futuristic" it actually is. "No, that's stupid, these are supposed to be good soldiers but they don't have armour and their faces are exposed, there's no way this could happen." It would be the equivalent of designing a world in which people used guided missiles as home defense weapons.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Morphed's used brushes for weapon and item model texturing LegendGuard 0 1,709 11-30-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [NEED HELP] Editing Pick-Up Models NoClue 3 1,135 11-25-2022, 06:17 AM
Last Post: NoClue
  [NEED HELP] Weapon shader isn't doing as I'm intending to do LegendGuard 0 1,047 04-04-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  List of Free/GPL Models & Programs AllegedlyDead 7 14,241 10-26-2021, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Dares
  How to import Weapon Models? NoClue 6 3,416 12-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Julius
Brick New Shotgun and Uzi models MirceaKitsune 6 4,072 07-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Last Post: _para
  [NEED HELP] NetRadiant Models Not Working 3agle427 7 5,276 06-26-2020, 11:40 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
Rainbow [NEED HELP] Player models. Import to blender, export to xonotic. Snekky 1 3,642 04-19-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: DarkFox
  [NEED HELP] Texture problems in MD3 exported models (Quake 3) xLuca91x 9 6,584 03-31-2020, 03:13 PM
Last Post: xLuca91x
  Renamon & Krystal player models MirceaKitsune 37 59,623 12-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Mario