Create an account

Poll: Would you have more reason to practice/play if prizes were given
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
36.84%
7 36.84%
No
63.16%
12 63.16%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Tournaments and prizemoney

If there were tournament's with Prizemoney/prizes, would it make you more interested to compete, I don't mean like $30 for 1st-3rd place, but more substatial amounts in the region of $200-$500+ prizepool + prizes. Would it make you more willing to play in them, this is for both 1on1 and team-modes like CTF/TDM etc?

I know in the near future i'd be willing to put money towards a prize pool if it would get players/team coming out of there caves.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Uhm... I'd participate without getting payed for a 1.-3. place (Even if I wouldnt reach a 3rd place) Big Grin

What we need are good organized tourneys... And even some nexuiz maps should be allowed to play on^^

So... prizemoney is a nice thing, but are you sure you want to pay for several winners? A nice idea though Wink

Of course I would practise more then. Tongue I play everything anyway.

(02-20-2011, 09:58 AM)Debugger Wrote: Uhm... I'd participate without getting payed for a 1.-3. place (Even if I wouldnt reach a 3rd place) Big Grin

What we need are good organized tourneys... And even some nexuiz maps should be allowed to play on^^

So... prizemoney is a nice thing, but are you sure you want to pay for several winners? A nice idea though Wink

Actually, we are getting more and more good maps now for organized tournaments, for example.

1on1:

Stormkeep
final_rage (needs fixing but still main map is there)
downer

TDM:

Atelier (2on2-4on4)
Afterslime (2on2-4on4)
Strength (2on2-4on4)
Stormkeep (2on2 only)

CTF:

mikectf2_nex_r3
moonstone
attic

So yes not a huge list of maps, but were only at 0.1 still and getting more and more high quality/good gameplay maps all the time for tournament/competition.

However I agree that we need a well organised tourney..match reports, ADMINS/Referees, enough servers, and a tournament system/page.

Also debugger if it was for team games the prizemoney would go to the team, so not say $100 for each player who was in that team just $100 for the team Tongue For example if $500 then 1st - $250 2nd - $150 3rd - $100.

as suggestions for your 1on1 mappool, why dont you try bloodrage perkele and red_v2?
they work all pretty good.

I assume for ctf is 5on5, if yes you also could add cbctf4, courtfun and controllfactor.

about the prizemoney.
money is no motivation for me to participate in a tournament. i only do it for fun
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

(02-20-2011, 12:58 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: as suggestions for your 1on1 mappool, why dont you try bloodrage perkele and red_v2?
they work all pretty good.

I assume for ctf is 5on5, if yes you also could add cbctf4, courtfun and controllfactor.

shell-station is not that bad too.

It seems people don't like these CTF maps. Wink

cbctf4 is probably a good map to try also, we need to get it onto the pickup server!

Shell station..still got to try this one,

Forgot about perkele also, thanks for reminding, not sure about red_v2 need to try it and bloodrage think is a bit too small also.

AU nexuiz has had at least 6 tourneys all of which have had quality games and teams. The main thing is the organisation side of things which if not done right makes the whole thing quite laborious. Prize money would be nice, but you need the player base firstly.
But in answer to the question, no I would not play more. Xonotic does not interest me, if it was nexuiz maybe.
---
:]

[0]'s achievements.

1st place @ Nexuiz 1vs1 AU tournament
1st place @ XA Season 1 3v3 CTF
1st place @ XA Bison Medley
1st place @ XA Duel Invitational
2nd place @ XA Season 2 3v3 CTF
1st place @ XA Medley Season 2

#zero.nexuiz

(02-21-2011, 12:35 AM)MDWGUNS Wrote: But in answer to the question, no I would not play more. Xonotic does not interest me, if it was nexuiz maybe.

This is the kind of attitude that might get people stuck with two dead games instead of one. :<
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Question is, how many people will be willing to put money forward into a prize fund?
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

ill donate some $

as far as how much depends on how fast u nerds sort ya balence/movement shit out.

lets sayy.... its finished by this comming weekend... $200
week after.... $100
and goes 1/2 after that.

oh and an addtional $100 to the nerd that gimmies my true rocket flying back into the game.

:p

NOW GO FORTH NERDS AND THY BIDDING!

t

:^

LOL Chooksta.

Rocket Flying is there, just nicely toned down now Smile

I'd be willing to put money up.

Also MDWGUNS, are you actively even playing Xonotic..it seems AU and NA communities have not taken to it due to lack of server's then when they played, they disliked it straight away because it's different?

Anyway, I'd like to see a tourney upcoming soon Wink

There are indeed enough maps, you could even use final_rage (after some fixes) for 2on2tdm, or whatever...

It's time to do something! Tongue

i like the idea of xonotic and much more tournaments , but at the moment xonotic is not my favourite game. i would participate in nexuiz tournaments (not 1v1) , cause its still fun, especially minsta scene has a good quality of players.
xonotic is a good game, but i tried it again and again and i forced me to play this game... i think its not good if i have to force me and some friends to play the game, hoping it becomes better after some time.
but i didnt feel comfortable, maybe im one of a small player base who cant deal with this game, who knows.

so as i said, im waiting for the next version ,cause people in this forum say always " its only 0.1 stage" and i agree with those sentences.

b2t
the australian tournaments were well organized and its a good example for tourneys in the future.
but its not only the system of the tourney, people behind this project did a good job, so what we need are people who want to play and organize those tourneys.
how active are xonotic´s player and how many people are playing xonotic atm?

lets hope the game gets more active players ingame and not only pickup games.

Well... why not.
But who will pay the prize?
it's going to be "pay to enter" tournament? I do not like much this idea.
Maybe find a sponsor like that was the case in a tournament on nexuiz is better and more open. It was a German website who did win a gfx, irc
Awesome, did Qz show you that ?
Nexuiz : I Reach the top5 of the ladder (even top3 I guess). Top1 French for quite some time (when active) of ladder. Top5 of some tournaments (if I remember well)

The prize money would increase as the number of players participating increases?

I don't know if I'd pay more than £5 tbh. I couldn't see myself playing for serious money because when I lost I'd just feel down.

I think the idea of prizemoney and competitive gameplay could can only be a serious thing with gameplay the standard of Nexuiz and Xonotic isn't of that standard...YET. dun...dun...DUN

C'mon people let's make xonotic better! As someone great whom i can't remember the name of said; "conflict is the creator of change". So get arguing!

This idea makes no sense because Xonotic is a free game. People are here at least in part for that reason.
Why does money need to be involved at all?
Surely the main reason that Xonotic is not that popular is that it is neither finished or released...
mmm, marshmallows.
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

(03-02-2011, 03:02 AM)Rad Ished Wrote: This idea makes no sense because Xonotic is a free game. People are here at least in part for that reason.
Why does money need to be involved at all?
Surely the main reason that Xonotic is not that popular is that it is neither finished or released...
mmm, marshmallows.

The reason I don't play it as much as nexuiz is because no one's online! I like to play against real people.

Having prizemoney in some tournaments doesn't change the game from being free although it does make it more fun if you've got something to lose personally (like strip pokerBlush).

I like to think Xonotic will never be finished, it'll just get better.

I play nexuiz and xonotic quite a bit right now regardless of how much money is involved...iow, zero...

Plus, I honestly don't think I could make a living off of prizes from tournaments since we aren't that big of a group and I'm not the best player...yet.
bye / bad luck and have boredom

(03-03-2011, 01:58 AM)noobermin Wrote: I play nexuiz and xonotic quite a bit right now regardless of how much money is involved...iow, zero...

Plus, I honestly don't think I could make a living off of prizes from tournaments since we aren't that big of a group and I'm not the best player...yet.

Agreed I think it would be bad to play only for money.

Its not a neccesity just an idea.

I think that prize money would be a great tool for motivation, but only when used at the right time. It would have to be when a game balance/physics is decided and accepted by a majority of the community, and then after that game balance/physics has been played for a while (competitively). If we had to do a tourney now, it would probably have to be using a nexuiz config and some of the nexuiz maps, since that's what people know how to play. I'm sure once xonotic has established competitive gameplay, there would be enough people interested in prize money that it could very well happen.

I would donate money for sure, and I know some others who would probably do the same, too.

PCLizard its an honour to see you on the forum. You make playing Nexuiz an art.

A monetary reward would bring positive attention to Xonotic. On the downside, it could attract an untargetted audience.
4m038105 - Be the change.

(03-07-2011, 08:23 PM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote: A monetary reward would bring positive attention to Xonotic. On the downside, it could attract an untargetted audience.

What untargeted audience do you not want playing xonotic?

Probably means player's from other game's who just will play purely for the money, and demand a lot, flame etc etc
(03-07-2011, 09:47 AM)PCLizard Wrote: I think that prize money would be a great tool for motivation, but only when used at the right time. It would have to be when a game balance/physics is decided and accepted by a majority of the community, and then after that game balance/physics has been played for a while (competitively). If we had to do a tourney now, it would probably have to be using a nexuiz config and some of the nexuiz maps, since that's what people know how to play. I'm sure once xonotic has established competitive gameplay, there would be enough people interested in prize money that it could very well happen.

I would donate money for sure, and I know some others who would probably do the same, too.

Good post, fully agree.