Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Race Challenge - March

Time for the next challenge!
The good thing is everyone is able to participate, no matter where you are, because you can do it locally.

This time its a cts map!
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1620 (PLEASE, use the link at the end of this post)

Goal: Complete the track as fast as possible!

Rules:
- default physics only

post your demos/videos here!

Deadline: 1st April

Edit: it seems this map is a bit too hard so i made it easier at the end
http://ompldr.org/vN24zbA/stepping_forward_easy.pk3
<Samual> I am the most unprofessional developer ever
<bluez> halogene, you make awesome music, but you have no clue about ctf.
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

I got just as frustrated and resentful as I thought I'd get. I made a nice video of myself attempting to win and rage quitting my own solo game after 5 minutes, while giving snotty commentary about how awesome these kind of maps are. Why does this all have to be so impossibly hard?

http://ompldr.org/iN24xYw

(03-03-2011, 05:03 AM)node357 Wrote: I got just as frustrated and resentful as I thought I'd get. I made a nice video of myself attempting to win and rage quitting my own solo game after 5 minutes, while giving snotty commentary about how awesome these kind of maps are. Why does this all have to be so impossibly hard?

you problem at the end was the shield has worn off and you took the whole hagar damage thats why you killed yourself and get back to the start. I think the new version should be easier for everybody.

i also made a small video, to proof that this map is not impossible. (Ok but you have to find the trick at certain points)
http://ompldr.org/vN24zag/steppingforward.zip
<Halogene> I didn't know mappers include some mysterious waypoints so members of the BOT clan can navigate a map?
<divVerent> if you don't pay for a premium account, your movement speed is limited to 100qu/s

This map really isn't that hard, it's just the first jump that's a little tricky. I remember playing this map years ago, and although it was challenging, it was also fun at the same time. I'll upload my record for this sometime later today, since I did it a few days ago (March 1st too, so it falls within the timeline Tongue).

EDIT

Oh, wait....I think I made my record on the original stepping-forward map, can it still count?

(03-03-2011, 09:04 AM)PCLizard Wrote: (March 1st too, so it falls within the timeline Tongue).
errmm the dead line for this challenge is April 1st

Oh, I thought the time line in which you can submit the record was between March and April, as in it can't be something from earlier this year, just like FOTM.

(03-03-2011, 09:14 AM)PCLizard Wrote: Oh, I thought the time line in which you can submit the record was between March and April, as in it can't be something from earlier this year, just like FOTM.

everyone can upload his/her best time and at the first of every month i make a ranking of the times. (its a race challenge so the time counts)
When there are 3 participants the first get 3 points, the second 2 points and the third 1 point. After one year(or 12 challenges) the points will be added up and a winner will be declared,

Here is my entry for the race challenge this month:

Stepping Forward - 11.08 seconds

Done in xonotic 0.1 default.

Only difference was I had the kill delay set to 0 so I could respawn faster. Tongue

Watch here.

I can upload a demo if needed.

You make it look so easy :o

Indeed, the map isnt impossible, even for me Tongue

I did it to 16 seconds... but no way for me to be as fast as PCL Wink

Damn, that shows us the physics are still to easy xD
Btw. what if the physics change with the next preview release? Do you start a new challenge with the same maps cortez666?

I got 20.65 on the original map, didn't try the new one. Race isn't really my thing.

At least I think it was the original one. I got it from the map thread a while ago.

(03-04-2011, 03:14 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Race isn't really my thing.

Hey its all for teh fun. At least you tried and played it a bit. My goal with these challenges is that people go and play race and cts. they where never that popular (well cts just with defrag physics, but not the standart.)
So its a good way to push these modes a bit in the spotlight.

(03-04-2011, 01:42 PM)RaptorFX Wrote: Btw. what if the physics change with the next preview release? Do you start a new challenge with the same maps cortez666?

Nope, because that would be boring. No one wants to play the same map over and over again.

@Debugger: please post your full time , or did you exactly get 16 sec?

[Image: xonotic000025b93i.jpg]

here... Dont have a demo, aynway its not the best time Wink

hihi to easy xD
but nice challenge idea ;D
info:
This message was written with 100% recycled electrons!!! Angel
No trees were destroyed and no animals were harmed.

(03-06-2011, 05:12 AM)Slup Wrote: hihi to easy xD
but nice challenge idea ;D

Haha, we will see if you can beat PCL or Justin.

I can haz download link? Teh link in da furst post iz brokd.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(03-08-2011, 02:22 PM)Halogene Wrote: I can haz download link? Teh link in da furst post iz brokd.

humm, they work for anyway.

the normal version: http://ompldr.org/vN2pzcQ/stepping_forward.pk3

the easy version: http://ompldr.org/vN24zbA/stepping_forward_easy.pk3

0:10.22 on default physics (normal version)

(03-15-2011, 01:57 PM)Justin Wrote: 0:10.22 on default physics (normal version)

since you got the fastest now could upload a demo or a video to proof the time?

I can't.
You can belive me or not. Anyway I did this and I think everybody can do the same. Even better.

(03-18-2011, 04:14 AM)Justin Wrote: You can belive me or not.

its not that i didnt trust you, but i think it would be nice for everyone to see how you achieved the fastest time.
you dont have to record a video and do some editing stuff. A demo would be enough.

Demo disappeared. Just as Xonotic did. Need to be removed. New system now. I will be back when official relase comes.

Ok, so I'm confused. Does Justin's record count and I have to go break 10.22 now? Tongue

(03-24-2011, 09:41 AM)PCLizard Wrote: Does Justin's record count and I have to go break 10.22 now? Tongue

go and beat his time it would make things much easier

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Race Challenge - October Cortez666 54 61,962 11-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  Are you up to the Challenge? Mirio 33 36,173 01-27-2014, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  A Race challenge - BardoK-AVP Hero 12 14,099 09-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Last Post: N1mbus
  The Race Challange - Extra #3 Cortez666 13 16,260 05-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Last Post: .Danny.
  The Race Challange - Extra #2 Cortez666 28 28,892 05-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Cortez666